Flinders Ranges South Australia turns out it was a tribute ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Gasman_ADV, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    at this point we were waiting for a while and decided to go back and see what was going on, the rest of the group had stopped for some reason and I noticed one of the bikes had an almost flat front tyre, I pulled out a had pump and put some air in his tyre for him with a we'll watch it. I expected to have a few blokes around my laughing and pointing and pondering the fate of the flat front tyre, but no very quiet group .......it makes sense now but was a bit strange at the time.

we set off as a group agian and came up to these ruins, time for smoko and the tools came out again to fix the barkbuster on Josh's DRZ plus photo time.

Big Al I think first in P1070936.JPG

note the helmet is off and the gloves are on the seat...........oops again :D

P1070937.JPG P1070938.JPG P1070939.JPG
    LivingdeadCamo and Oms like this.
  2. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you agian to Steve for the invite P1070940.JPG P1070941.JPG P1070942.JPG P1070943.JPG
    LivingdeadCamo and Angry Pete like this.
  3. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    P1070948.JPG
    LivingdeadCamo likes this.
  4. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    So we completed the PAR and onto the main road that led us into Blinman and lunch at the pub.
    P1070951.JPG

now there's a funny story that I feel wasn't shared enough during this lunch stop, Big Al and myself found ourselves at the bakery (a Pie shop :D)
    and i was eying off and purchased a Quandong pie....yummmmo (its a native Australian bush fruit) anyway in comes this bloke all smartly dressed and wearing a KTM branded polo shirt.........well here's Big Al and myself in full dirtbike riding gear, so introductions are in order.

He is telling us he has a KTM 1290 ...you know ..big thing and he had just done the KTM Rally across Aus, now behind the counter is somebody's Nanna, you know the type ..thin, looks like she could run a marathon, she's talking away on the phone (cordless landline) and pipes up ."which one" (re the Ralle) ..."my Nephew is a mechanic for KTM and does all the ralle's ..........I think he is in South Africa at the moment............all the while still with the phone pressed to her ear ......:rofl
    Now being a regular reader of ADV I know a little bit about the recent KTM ralle and if I knew big Al just a little bit better I would have dropped my social filter just a little bit and asked this bloke if he knew who it was that dropped that log too close to some blokes swag.......(regular readers will know what Iam talking about :lol3)

we left the bakery and "Nana" is still talking thirteen to the dozen on the phone, now outside the shop and in a car......:imaposer

after lunch and Quandong pie we rode back to camp :D
    LivingdeadCamo and Angry Pete like this.
  5. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    We arrive back in camp and its mid afternoon, Big Al, Cliff, Josh and myself decide to fill the bikes up and head out agian to Artimore Ruins.

Sitting out the front of the Ango shop talking with the owner Dave about lost old people, goats, vibraters and lube ....lost of lube and things ..........normal Saturday afternoon stuff and this silver haired dude rolls in on a 1970's Moto Guzzi, police special and fills up with his $6.00 of fuel.

He has travelled from Perth, been on the road 4 or 5 days, doesn't know exactly how many, doesn't know where he is going to setup camp tonight ........just doing it right. :clap

I didn't take a photo, damn I wish I had but this a similar bike but nowhere near as cool as his with a Lambswool seat cover, pannier bags and rolled up swag on the back.

1974-moto-guzzi-eldorado-police-bike-1.JPG
    pops and Oms like this.
  6. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Artimore Ruin
    its getting late enough in the afternoon but there is riding to be had, I didn't take nay pics until we actually got to the ruin, mainly because we decided to push on as we knew it would be late when we got back, the track is very rocky and very very rocky in sections with some spectacular views along the way.
    the Route is in Blue
    20180904_103840.jpg
  7. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bloody good ride getting to the Ruin, had to dodge a road grader at one point, which meant newly graded stony gravel road for a section.
    Arrived there had a walk around and took some pics, take note of the long shadows, yes it was going to be a challenge to get back before dark.

P1070957.JPG

P1070955.JPG P1070958.JPG P1070954.JPG
    LivingdeadCamo, Angry Pete and Oms like this.
  8. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
  9. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    its about now you should have noticed the Lighting options on my bike ...........there are none :-)
    well I have this kickass 7000 lumins H4 globe and a 30 year old 9" round headlight Iam working on (to keep a kind of 1970's retro top Fuel Drag bike look Iam working on.

also note the long Shadows ..hmmm

Iam a firm believer in "The best Adventures come from Piss Poor Planning" :D

P1070956.JPG

Here it is sitting safely at home in the shed

20180904_114909.jpg

How good is this pic ...........True Adventure Rider Photo :clap

P1070959.JPG
    LivingdeadCamo and Oms like this.
  10. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the journey back I stopped to get a pic of this Roo in the paddock, couldn't quite get the pic I wanted but you get the idea, I might add the camera is compensating for the lack of daylight quite a bit
    with all the photos I have taken I was swaping between my phone a Samsung S5 and a Luminix action sports camera, these pics were from the phone and the previous Altimore Ruin photos were with the sports camera. 20180825_173214.jpg

20180825_173147.jpg roo close 3.jpg
  11. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    we were still having fun .......lots of fun

here's one of my favorite shots, at the top of a lookout on the way back.

Iam shocked at how much the phone camera is adding light to the photo it was quite dark to say the least

How good is this :raabia 20180825_175418.jpg

the sun is setting/has set over the ranges to the right of this photo, note the auto apature settings on the phone are maxed out :lol3

20180825_175413.jpg

Iam looking at these pics on a 24" PC screen but how beautiful is the color behind those ranges :feelgood

20180825_175428.jpg

don't take living for granted, get out and get some

20180825_175449.jpg
  12. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    20180825_175508.jpg
    note the moon in the pic :raabia
    20180825_175410.jpg

20180825_175434.jpg
  13. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Finally you get an idea of just how steep some of the climbs are, this is the climb up to the lookout and there are lots of holes and ruts from 4WD's churning their way up, I might add the 570 just loaded up on the rear wheel and powered and grunted its way straight up, you really can't appreciate how dark it was, especially without lights :lol2 20180825_175456.jpg
  14. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fun wasn't done yet :jack

What we have here is the Moon
    The Top of The Lookout (near the Tree)
    One silly badger who thought he would shortcut down the hill to the road
    One Fence.

He did cry out for help........"Hang on mate I have to get the camera out first" was the response :D

I have found before that sometimes all one needs for help is somebody getting their camera out of their backpack :D

20180825_181011.jpg

20180825_181021.jpg
  15. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    It was about this time that I conceded defeat with the no lights situation

I had some Push Bike lights in my backpack as a backup, which I only threw in as a last minute thing.
    I may or may not have mentioned that I bought these about 12 months ago and charged them up at the time to test them then they remained untouched until this point in time when I was in the middle of the Flinders Ranges about 20k from home base .....I love a good adventure :lol3

these are the units, they are quite bright actually, and the batterys hold a reasonable charge 12 months later :D 20180904_103352.jpg

Here's a photo from the next day, about the only pic I have of the lights taped up on the bike.

20180904_144821.jpg

we rolled back into camp in the darkness and hit the showers, absolutely pumped, huge day ADV riding :clap
    LivingdeadCamo, Angry Pete and Boxa like this.
  16. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    So where are we ?...........Ok now at this point I can motor on forward and post up pics and talk about bikes, but thats not me and I still have all you blokes in the Black Dog thread on my mind. Having said that I do welcome comments and I do appreciate the "likes" , I don't write reports for a living but I feel I do have a way of putting a story together.:-) that appeals and helps me process things, this also helps with the black dog, plus the "likes" give me a guide to what you lot react best to.

its just over a week now and I really hit the wall the last couple of days, the old body is still recovering but that's ok and in writing this report a lot of emotion has been "moved" shifted..............and that's a good thing. The fact that it all came together for me, that my brain function stayed switched on all weekend for me is huge as I want to push on with my next challenge and it just gives me such a boost in confidence, the whole memorial thing of course is big as well, more so because Steve recognized that I needed some time out and I feel that he recognized the caring side in me that would be beneficial to himself and his friends (a side I didn't really acknowledge in myself until this weekend) I wanted to help and I still want to help others.

It was a privilege to be invited on this ride.

but hot damn I didn't want to stop riding the bike, it was just so much fun.

again thanks for listening
  17. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    End of the day, a big ride day and decent hot shower ready for the bench racing around the fire :1drink
    As I was saying to big Al, Cliff and Josh, strange group of guys, very tight with each other, pretty quiet but nice enough, This is Saturday night and at this point I din't "know". Aaron is a big bloke and was the big noise, happy to be the brunt of a joke, happy to dish it out, but hell man give those cans of coke away, I don't care if its no sugar, that shit ..............:D

you are a gentleman Aaron and a strong support for your family and for your mates, ...fuck you even bought your daughter a pony ...........:imaposer
    was a good night and the boys didn't stay up too late. :lol2

just to put in an edit here, I have sent a few links out to some of those who Iam referencing who were part of the weekend, please feel free to comment either on here or contact me privately if you wish.
    thank you.
  18. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sunday morning
    I wandered down to Big Al's camp to have a chat about what we were going to do today, I had the ride down to Wilpenea Pound Resort for lunch, taking in Brachnia Gorge on the way, I mentioned again how the other blokes were a "strange" bunch, quiet but tight with each other. Big Al looked me in the eye and said "you don't know what this weekend is all about do you ?" Nope have'nt got a clue, I think I replied.

So that started connecting a few dots in the puzzle and things made a bit more sense but also opened up a whole lot of other thought processes ...all good tho.
    I headed back to my cabin and the other blokes had just left, but Aaron had just come back to pick up something he had forgotten....so many things about this weekend were meant to be. I patted him on the back and said "I now know mate" and he shared a great deal of information with me.

Aaron and his mates then set off to do the Mt Samual ride, the ride that this weekend was originally planned for. Aaron has posted up a "ride report" tribute on his facebook page and describes how he had tears in his eyes riding down from the peak of Mt Samual.

Its good to see the healing process begin.

Al, Cliff, Josh and myself kitted up and headed off to Wilpeana Pound for a gourmet lunch
  19. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't take any photo's on the way down or of Bracnia Gorge but I have a couple of older photos I will insert when I get back to my home PC later in the day

Lunch at Wilpeana Pound
    we arrived 20 minutes too late for "lunch" but they could still do chips and wedges, plus Al scored a few pies down at the "shop"
    So in true ADV fashion, pies for lunch :rofl 20180826_144050.jpg
    Angry Pete likes this.
  20. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Bike time is Happy time

20180826_163719.jpg