Flinders Ranges South Australia turns out it was a tribute ride

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Gasman_ADV, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Monday morning and I hit the deck, yep lost balance, was all arms and legs and came crashing down.......

I was in my cabin and putting my pants on, lost my footing, still sleepy and fell over with a resounding thud on the cabin floor, very pleased to say the bike and I stayed upright all weekend, very pleased to be able say that :jack

Monday morning also as I was in my cabin I heard laughter from outside, thats a good thing, its a sign of healing taking place.

Steve, Arron and the other boys had packed up the night before and they were ready to hit the road, but my new found friends and myself still had some riding left in us. However anyone who knows me, knows where there are dirtbikes then there is dirtbike fettling to be done. :D

I changed over my air cleaner, tightened up the head stean bearings (remember I changed over the triple clamps before coming up) and tweaked the suspension a bit. I also talked Josh into bringing his bike up to my camp and I guided him through also tightening up his head steam bearings and also raised his forks in the tubes by about 2mm. I realized later that with a DRZ this will almost not be noticeable, just because its a DRZ, Iam used to the exotic Italian TM's and to a lesser degree my Husaberg, where a little adjustment is a lot. Josh learnt a bit about suspension and geometry and I learnt that when working of a DRZ go at least 2 sizes up on the socket or spanner you are looking for, built like a Toyota Hilux, or is it a Brick Shitehouse :D

Josh working the spanners

20180827_100801.jpg
    LivingdeadCamo and pops like this.
  2. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    after a relaxed start to the day we set off to do another lap of the PAR , no photos until we came upon the ruins, but the riding was easy and it was a beautiful day.

P1080004.JPG

P1080008.JPG

P1080005.JPG

This is the Ruin that is closest to the track and most of the photo's you see of this area are taken with, you think about it, and it would have been a hard life back in those days.
    P1080006.JPG
  3. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cliff and big Al, looking fresh for a Monday morning :thumb

P1080007.JPG
  4. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    onto the next challenge, this rocky shale hill, on Saturday the whole group rode up this hill and there is video at the very least of Cliff going up, ending up doing a big wheelie to cap it off, with me closely behind, I would very much like a copy of that video, thanks.

P1080012.JPG

P1080013.JPG

P1080015.JPG

P1080016.JPG
    LivingdeadCamo and shuswap1 like this.
  5. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Note the gibber stuck between the knobs of the Berg
    Yes that is my home made powerbomb, and no the brazing I only put on there for cosmetic reasons, and yes it works :rayof

P1080017.JPG
    shuswap1 likes this.
  6. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    somewhere along the PAR we had stopped, this is after I came across Josh's DRZ having a little lay down in a rocky/sandy creek bed :deal

this bloke comes rolling up, as he was pulling up I asked him if "he brought the pies" seemed logical at the time :D
    he is an inmate on here and was pre riding the track setting up arrows and warning ribbons for an organized ride coming through the next day, nice fella too.

20180827_121236.jpg

20180827_121255.jpg

after we left the PAR it was lunch one more time at the Blinman hotel and back to camp to pack up
    LivingdeadCamo likes this.
  7. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    So packed up, exchanged contact details and started the journey home
    left about an hour later that I should have, as the roos were just starting to come out (4.oopm ish)
    leaving the Gorge and heading south.

20180827_162406.jpg

20180827_162435.jpg

Note the sheep on the road

20180827_165942.jpg

Now I have to add one more story in here

During the morning as i was fettling the bike, the park owner was buzzing around on his quad and called into say hellow to Big Al's camp, further down the rise from me, now by the nature of the geography I overheard part of the conversation.......

Dave: ..How did Adrian Go ?

Big Al: Well he's the sort of bloke that at the start talks himself down, and I thought hmm better keep an eye on this bloke ......
    ......So he starts off at the back of the pack .............then he goes past everyone ............you know just quietly, but ends up at the front....then takes off first ......

Cliff chips in: yea and I thought I would just follow this C**T and see what he's got...........

Thats as much as I heard ( I wrote up my account of what I experienced back at the start of this report )

My god this had me in stitches most of the 5 or so hour journey home :rofl

20180827_172629.jpg
  8. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now in summary, and i know you have enjoyed reading my journey, its been good experience for me as well.

I got my MoJo back, I feel that I helped some people ,and it really reset my mind body and soul.

thank you

P1080001.JPG
  9. arraaom

arraaom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    wpaa
  10. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that good or bad AAron ?

Cheers
  11. arraaom

arraaom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    good. and i mean to say woaaa....
  12. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thank you

And I really mean...thank you
  13. arraaom

arraaom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    no problem.
  14. Gasman_ADV

Gasman_ADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    I learnt a thing or too from that weekend

Don't take life for granted

I have just taken this pic
    A walk with the wife and coffee and brushetta at the local surf lifesaving club

20180909_174244.jpg
  15. arraaom

arraaom Adventurer

Oddometer:
    thanks sir for free teaching. but as you know that i listen to no one else beside my mum. ;) but still thanks for free teaching. but as you know that i run with my mum ( only )

and take things as for granted when they are coming from her. that is all.
    pops likes this.
  16. MalleeFarmer

MalleeFarmer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great Job looks like a ripper trip I was up there the last week of August with the wife and kids in the ute been there half a dozen times saw a lot of bikes on the tracks through the NP was wishing I was on the AT instead of driving a hilux still was good to have the family along!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Gasman_ADV likes this.
  17. Gravelroadster

Gravelroadster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What a weekend you had. Perfect place, perfect scenery, perfect mates, got your mojo back, helped some through a tough patch and rode through country that most riders have on their bucket list.
    A+, I mean A F..K'n + my man.

Like finishing a good book....what do I read now....?
    Gasman_ADV likes this.
  18. darren70

darren70 Loud pipes matter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing with us mate
    Gasman_ADV likes this.
  19. shuswap1

shuswap1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just wonder how many people have had their MoJo elevated by spending time on their favorite 2 wheeled vehicle, powered or not. I know of several. Thanks for the report, looks like a lot of fun was had out there.
    pops and Gasman_ADV like this.
  20. pops

pops Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great ride report.
    Thank you for posting .
    Beautiful place to ride.
    Gasman_ADV likes this.