Flores, Indonesia - Scooter or Enduro

Discussion in 'Asia Pacific' started by p_funk, Jan 18, 2020.

1. p_funk

p_funk Patfunk

Oddometer:
    Hello,

I'm planning to do a solo 5-6 day trip from Labuan Bajo to Maumere in early March. I think I've found a few places that will rent one-way for a price, my only question is this - is there enough unpaved road between the two to justify an enduro? I'll probably go: Ruteng - Bajawa - Ende - Kelimutu - Maumere. I'd love to get on some remote gravel roads if possible. Do you think that schedule is too tight to go out of the way? Thanks.
    95Monster likes this.
  2. floyd_of_oz

floyd_of_oz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Go the enduro mate....even the paved roads are shocking and you'll get flats constantly on a scooter with the big potholes, drop offs, etc. I did a few days on a scooter and it was not adequate.
    95Monster likes this.
  3. Wherever I may roam

Wherever I may roam Mono cylindrical wanderer

Oddometer:
    Scooters are nice in an urban environent.
    Oh no wait, they are nimble and you can carry a surprising large amount of gear on the 'foot board area'.
    For the rest the are not nice at all. Tiny wheels are shit on bad roads, easy to pop a tyre on Flores or crash into a medium size hole that an enduro would handle without any problems.
    5 to 6 days is certainly doable but if you can take more days, it's an amazing island, lots to see and on an enduro, even on the sealed roads, it is great fun. Look at the map, find the twisty roads going up and down the volcano's. They are mad fun!
    Leave the main roads and just wander the little ones, sometimes only one car wide with steeeep switchback corners.
    Take your time to interact with the locals, just stop somewhere and stand next to your bike, wait 45 seconds and someone will ask you where you are from, then they will invite you for coffee. I've had days where I drank 10 coffees and had great chats with the locals, they are such nice people!
    95Monster likes this.
  4. p_funk

p_funk Patfunk

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input, you guys have me convinced on the enduro. The tough part is that I only have 10 days, and am hoping to get a bunch of diving in. Is there anything along the Trans-Flores that I absolutely shouldn't pass up?
  5. Wherever I may roam

Wherever I may roam Mono cylindrical wanderer

Oddometer:
    My advice would be to have a look at the map and look up the volcano Gunung Inerie. That road to the north of it is where you can have a lot of fun wearing out the side of your tyres.
    You can have a look at the volcano from Wolobobo hills, entry fee about 10.000 Rupias, it's a nice view.
    Volcano Kelimutu is well worth hiking up, it has 3 lakes on top in the crater, two are bright blue, one is green. Entry fee is a bit more steep at 150.000 but I found it worth it, it's a great view up there.
    It's a half an hour walk at most from the car park.
    Next to Kelimutu is the town of Moni, I stayed at Palm Bungalows there for 100.000 or 150.000 a night you have a little bamboo bungalow. It's run by Robbert, very friendly guy and they do good food.

If you'd like to have an interesting experience and stay with a local family I can give you the details of my now adoption brother who lives close to Ruteng.
    He studies at the local tourist school to be a tour guide and likes to show people around and have them at families house.
    PM me if you are up for a night at with these amazing people who do not own much but have a big heart and will love to have a chat with you.