Florida,Copper Canyon,San Carlos April 2010

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Joe Mc, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not going near Mexico City:eek1
  2. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey how do you guys feel about the month of April for this trip? I tried to plan it so it wouldn't be too hot or too cold.
  3. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    April is one of my two favorite months in Mexico :thumb
  4. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    April is a great month for travel except that Semana Santa raises the hotel prices by about 50% especially in the coastal areas.
    Saludos Cal
  5. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Um Cal who is "Semana Santa"?:huh
  6. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
  7. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    April is a great month and what do you mean by too hot?Actually April may be the hottest time of the year in certain areas because it is the tail end of the dry season,cold fronts stay farther to the north ,the sun is getting back to near vertically overhead and there are not yet the overcast skies of the rainy season which keep the sun from hitting the ground .
    But hot is good- sure beats goose bumps and chilled figers.
  8. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I agree.
    We were cold for 80% of our last trip to the Pacific Northwest and that was in June!
    http://motorcyclejournaljune2008.blogspot.com/2009/01/motorcycle-journal-june-2008.html
  9. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys I gotta find out about "topes". Can you fill me in on them? Are they marked etc.? Is there any rhyme or reason to their placement?
  10. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Topes,reductores de velocidad, vibradores
    !!They are everywhere!! Just keep an eye out for the signs and there are many that are not signed.
    I took 1 at 80kms/hr and the old girl took it in stride( f650gs)
    They are also a great place to pass the slower trucks
  11. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    The reason- to slow down traffic, and boy do they ever .

North Mexico is not too bad , but down farther it gets worse as population density increases. Height and steepness varies with who builds them. They even appear in the middle of nowhere when a squatter settlement grows along the road and the locals decide they need to slow traffic for the safety of the kids running on the road. Throw some concrete out there papa!
    No thought as to how regular cars can cross without scraping the belly- more work for the taller de mofles and spring sales go up for trucks who hit them too fast.
    Watch out for the bollas , or alternately and incorrectly spelled boyas,
    which are steel domes of varying sizes in different municipalities.They are usually spaced wide enough for bike wheels to go between, but if you hit one half on the dome they can really shake the handle bars, if wet they can put you on the asphalt . These domes are also used in long lines to separate traffic lanes at some intersections. Take care not to ride your bike onto them or they really will get your attention when you find yourself looking up at the sky while sliding down the road.
  12. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Yes....usually placed to achieve that "Marv Albert" effect

[​IMG]
  13. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Cal and Sjoerd. I'll be on the alert.:eek1
  14. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :rofl Toupee??? That thing looks like road kill.
  15. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This will be one of many questions in the coming months.
    Where can I exchange US dollars for pesos? I'll be entering Mexico at Presidio but intend to spend a day in San Antonio previous to crossing.
  16. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Just before all border crossings you'll find exchange houses. At some of the tiny crossings you'll find them in the next nearest town.

The exchange rate to buy/sell will be posted.

I always go through the math in my head so I know what I'm getting.

[​IMG]
  17. patsymack

patsymack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Joe,
    I always use my ATM card and just take out what I need for a few days.You can find them at banks in any town of size.My bank atm card charges no fees for international transactions and I get the exact exchange rate for the day.But always have a few greenbacks packed away for emergencies.HTH
    Patsy
  18. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    I'd have pesos in my pocket before I cross the border. I wouldn't cross with zero in my pocket, looking for an ATM to seed my stash.

Whether or not you are going to an aduana for a TVIP or a visa, I don't want to be stopping at a bank much less looking for one in a border town and pulling money out of an ATM.

And, as a minimum, you're going to be looking for lunch and PEMEX early on.

If you find out that your ATM card doesn't work for some reason (rare, but it does happen), you don't want to be stuck without pesos. You can't use your dollars everywhere you go in Mexico.

All this said, I like using ATMs in Mexico. I use an ATM debit card to replenish my pesos downrange. But I also have an emergency stash hidden on the bike both in dollars and pesos, just in case any number of things happen. If you lose your wallet and credit/debit cards, as long as you have a backup on the bike you'll have an easier time.

Either way, call your bank(s) before you cross the border and put a "travel advisory" on your card(s). Some banks put a hold on their cards if your spending/location patterns suddenly change.
  19. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I want to thank of all you guys for totally confusing me:D .
    tricepilot,Sjoerd,Pedro aka Mike et al,after reading all of your ride reports I want to see everything!
    I am beginning to question where I should enter Mexico. We are now going to ride from Florida and plan to spend a day in San Antonio preparing for our ride to Copper Canyon and San Carlos and Tombstone AZ. Original plan was to tour Big Bend and enter at Presidio/Ojinaga but after reading the reports my interest in Monclova and Parras de la Fuente was piqued. Can I have some more suggestions? I must like being confused. I'm like a little kid in a candy store.....I want this, not that, uh maybe that, oh no this:dunno
    Don't forget guys we're riding Harleys.......paved roads only.:D
  20. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    When you get here I will work more Mexico Mysticism on your mind :norton