Florida,Copper Canyon,San Carlos April 2010

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Joe Mc, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Will that be before or after you show me the best rib joint on the planet?:dunno :D
  2. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You won't be able to focus upon Mexico Mysticism, or anything else except savory 'Q, while dinng at Texas Pride

[​IMG]
  3. kdowell

kdowell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Joe Mc, Im sitting here looking for information on the same route. Been to Mexico many times and all over the Creel, Parral, Maz, Zac side as well as the eastern sierra Gorda range. But Im headed back to ride most of the route you are talkng about. Love it in that area.

In fact Im going in early April as well. Three of us, all on street bikes. YOu should DEFINITELY go in at Presideo. For 1 the route through the texas hill country and Big Bend's river road is exceptional. The crossing in presideo is very easy. And the ride across the desert up into the plateaus and back down to chihuahua are beautiful. Dont take the toll road, you'll miss all the good stuff. Stop in Aldama at the La Meson restaurant.
    Its owned by a retired Mexico City businessman who grew up there. Great food and very cordial. He sat with us for about an hour truly interested in our route. And you wont miss it as you're pulling into Aldama. It's on the right, white stucco and has an orange Meson sign. Not like you wont find the best food all over mexico, but this one is great. Hell, some of the best Burritos I've ever had were off the wheel cart in the Pemex parking lot, as you enter Chihuahua.

Anyway, April is prime time down there. I will say on a Harley, hwy 16 will be longer than you expect; tight, nonstop twisties. Time it right. But you're going to love it.

Maybe we'll pass you on the trip. We're also headed to San Carlos for a night.

Beware the topes. They can easily sneak up on you sending you airborne.
    Seriously, Im not the only one thats done that three times in a row? ....am I?
  4. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You mention not taking the toll road. On the map I have it only shows HWY 16 from Ojinaga to Chihuahua. I have a Guia Roji map on order perhaps that will show more detail.:dunno Where can I find info on the road you mentioned?
    I plan on being in Mexico April 13-20 give or take a day or so. If I decide on the original route I'll look out for you guys.
  5. kdowell

kdowell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Google/Mapquest don't show the toll road. About 10-15 m out of Ojinaga you'll run up on the kids with machine guns (military checkpoint). The toll is past them. You wont have any problems staying off it. Its pretty well marked.

Looks like we'll be heading out a week prior to you guys.
  6. kdowell

kdowell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    A lot of you on this thread seem to know the area well. Im trying to find out if there is pavement between Hwy 16 and Alamos (other than hwy 15 out Hermosillo). I can see 3 routes on Google:

1. from Santa Rosa and/or Tonichi that head south, down towards Rosario/Quiriego and on into Alamos.

2. from Tecoripa to Esparanza
    3. and one from Huaquila to Heroico Guyamas

Can anyone confirm if these are paved?
  7. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    Confirmed pavement from San Nicolas (just west of Santa Rosa) to Rosario to Esperanza (just north of Obregon).

The road Tees at Rosario. Town to the left. Pemex and hwy 15 to the right.

If I did that route again I would stay inland, but it may not be paved all the way. It looks to go into the boonies. At Alamos I rode out toward the airport (I beleave that is the road to Rosario) and I think things went to dirt out there. My memory is vague on this point.

A big Wallmart at the edge of Obregon or Navojoa. A cop, on cycle, patrols the area north of Obregon. We met on a secondary road, maybe coincidense.

That straight from Obregon to Navajoa was really boring and smelly.

A Subway Sandwich store on the main drag in Navojoa. It was exactly like the one in my hometown. Right down to the stern 20 year old manager and the giggley waitress trainee.:lol3
  8. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Negativo, the only paved road in to Alamos is the one from Navajoa on Mex 15. Was in Alamos again this past January and no other paved routes came into town, so that nixes any alternates you have in mind, but the one to Santa Rosa , extension of Highway Son 21 ,can be a nice gravel ride.
    The toll road and Mex 15 from Nogales are both the same for much of the route but ther is a toll plaza north of Hermosillo which you can avoid if you read the signs to LIBRE a Hermosillo. They direct you 5km east to a place called Pesceira where you turn south and follow the free paved road south beside the railwa 30km, then at the junction of Mex 14 you turn west again and get deposited back onMex 15 about 5km north of Hermosillo.
    Same routine gets you around several other toll plazas like the ones north and south Cd.Obregaon and N of Navajoa Look for the signs, take an extra half hour, see the scenery and save several tanks of gas worth of pesos
    For Mex 16 west of Chihuahau ,you can take the alternate old paved road LIBRE , signed, which follows the railroad around the north of some mountains/hills thru Celulosa to Cuauhtemoc.After that it is all free
    From Ojinaja to Chihuahua Mex 16 is FREE , there is a toll route to CHI but it is actually just a long detour around the south end of the mountains west of Ojinaga and it is actually a lot longer than old Mex 16 From Ojinaga you fist go south 40km , then take the nice flat country highway west and get put back on Mex 16 libre for the last 80km to Chuhuahua
  9. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    I think we are saying the same thing. 21 and 12 are paved.

Only 13 is paved into Alamos.

Yes?
  10. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sjoerd I'm a little confused. Your first sentence refers to 'old' Mex16(?) then you mention that Ojinaga to CHI is free and then you mention a toll route(?) which is in fact longer. What road number is this toll route? I have just received my Guia Roji map of Chihuahua and it only shows one direct road to CHI and that is labeled Mexico 16. There is is 'loop' shown at El Fortin to Coyame is this the toll route you mention?
    I look askance at the Guia Roji map due to the fact that when I tried to locate Divisadero the index referred me to 1-D which is somehwere in the area of Guadalupe Mountains N.P. in Texas:dunno
    Are these maps considered reliable?
  11. kdowell

kdowell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Joe, You are seeing it on your map. There is a toll road between Ojinaga and Chihuahua and as I recall Coyame is likely correct.

I rode back on the toll road a couple years ago, late at night (for reasons I wont bore everyone with). Its possibly a little quicker since its straight and flat, but not really long enough to make up much time. Again, I wouldnt miss out on the Libre, going to Chihuahua. you can easily make it to Creel before dark.

Thanks Tourist and Bakker for the input on pavement. Gravel or dirt would make for a really long day for me.
  12. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    The toll road does not yet have a number . Mex 16 is indeed the old highwa on your map but if you are in Ojinaga the signs at end of town give you directions to Mex 16 a Chihuahua , west up the escarpment , and the carretera a peaje or cuota , which directs you south along the existing highway to Jimenez.
    After 40 km you finally get the turnoff west onto the toll road, .This is a new highway built like a n Arizona state highway, wide paved shoulders, and it runs west across intermountain plains of sagebrush and rejoins Mex 16. There is one toll plaza at km 42 about midway and it wa s bout $3.50US this September There are a few villages along te way and a mennonite colony ,El Oasis , about 13km south off the highway where there is a motel and PEMEX
    This highlights the hazard of putting too much trust in maps. The mapmakers only work with information provided by highway authorities and if these do not give current data the maps are not current with reality.
    The toll road Ojinaga -Chi has been under construction for at least 7years and should be on new maps by now.The other problem is map makers putting in projected future roads - phantom roads - on the maps as highway depts feed them plans
  13. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please bear with me Sjoerd. You are saying that the signs at the end of town in Ojinaga would direct me to the 'new' toll road instead of MX 16? Is there a turn off for the'old' route which is on the Guia Roji map? I do find the road system a little confusing what with the stories I've been reading concerning signage, lack of and map errors. I have only been to Mexico, by bike, once and that was in the 'zone' at Matamoros so I have virtually no experience travelling in Mexico ergo my questions and the tedious job for you guys of explaining the answers to me.:D
  14. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Joe, you're making this way too hard, mi hermano :wave

As you're riding out into the beautiful vistas of Mexico towards Chihuahua, just keep your eye out for signs indicating either libre, or cuota, whichever you prefer. Clearly marked, don't worry about it.

See the sights, ride the curves, take your time: libre

Haul ass, pay mucho dinero, deal with fewer road hazards: cuota

Note: You're questions are not tedious. Everybody has asked them at one point or another. Everybody.

It took me 3 hours to figure out how to program my wife's breadmaker, if that makes you feel better. :rofl
  15. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bob I opt for the "See the sights" suggestion. This is what we do. Sightsee. I'll leave the high speed twisty riding to the sport bikers. I want to be able to see the sights not looking for a line for the next curve at Mach 1
    These ride reports are making me 'loco'! Now I want to see everything. :lol3 Hopefully I will make a few more forays in to Mexico. You have piqued my interest with your "Into the Blue" report. Vera Cruz looks fabulous
  16. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know if you are aware of it but Easter week is a huge (so I've been told) holiday season and hotel rooms are scarce.
  17. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have seen some reference to this unit. Anyone have pros or cons? Will it be necessary? Are they reliable in Mexico?:dunno
  18. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Sample: In this thread you can click on Alisa's SPOT me Here link in her sig line, and get a feel for the application of SPOT tracking such as you might enjoy on a trip such as yours.

I use SPOT everywhere I go (now, SPOT II), essentially for the tracking feature such as Alisa is displaying.

Your question could open up the proverbial can of worms if it starts to morph into the tired SPOT "rescue me" topic that's been beaten to death around here
  19. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bob ribs and drinks on us in April:nod
  20. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I assume most of the hotels have laundry service. I usually pack a weeks worth of clothes and intend to be gone almost a month. What do you guys do? Are there facilities/businesses i.e. cleaners available?:dunno