Florida,Copper Canyon,San Carlos April 2010

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Joe Mc, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I reach Ciudad Obregon from Creel my original intent was to head north to San Carlos and on to Tombstone AZ but after reading all the very informative and interesting ride reports I'm considering staying in MX and heading south on 15D to Culiacan and Libre 15 (?) to Mazatlan and to Durango/Torreon on HWY #40 to HWY#30 and HWY#57 to the USA. The "Espinazo del Diablo" seems interesting and somewhat terrifying(the semi trucks):eek1
    Tombstone,Alamogordo,Carlsbad and Guadalupe NP can be done in a future ride.
    What do you guys think of this route?
  2. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nothing wrong with your route, but I would stick to the libre roads, they give you more of a feel for the real Mexico, you can stop at the side of the road in more scenic spots to take in the views, more small towns to explore.
    Laundry ? you asked . Every hotel has "laundry " facilities .... the sink in your bath room and the shower :lol3 . No , seriously , I mean it. Oh, sure the fancy schmancy high priced hotels will have some self serve laundry , maybe even valet laundry service if you want to pay for it. But if you get out of te habit of selecting the overpriced tourist and business hotels, which by the way you will NOT find anyway once you get off the main tourist and business travel routes ,you will not have laundry service.
    Don't bring a whole wardrobe of fancy duds that require particular washing care and drying and ironing. What you have on and a change of clothes is more than enough .Then every other day or so wash an item or two using the bathroom facilities .The small country hotels will even allow you to do the wash by hand on their wash stand and use of the clothesline.
    If you take the trouble to wander through a Mexican grocery store and look through the laundry detergent section you will be able to find detergent bars- read the labels-.One bar will last you for many washings. Get one of these and you are set to do the laundry.Wet your clothing item in the sink or shower, rub the detergent bar on the dirtier areas and knead the item so that the detergent slution gets worked all over the item and let stand for a half hour. return , add some more water and do some more kneading, perhaps have a shower and dance around on the item while doing so. Rinse until clean water runs off- both you and the clothing item- , wring out and hang out to dry in front of a fan or on the balcony overnight. By morning it will be dry and you can wear it again.
    This way you can tour for months with the same shirt and jeans and underwear. If it wears out you can buy replacements underway. Nobody is going to notice, let alone even care, if you wear the same clothes day after day.
  3. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Sjoerd I wasn't trying to come off like Thurston Howell III:D but I was curious about the availability of a laundromat or if they even exist in Mexico.This is my first extensive trip to rural Mexico. I've been to the tourist spots but am now attemping to see the real Mexico. I will take your advice and travel the Libre roads. Thanks again and there will be more questions:eek1 between now and April.:D
  4. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :rofl :rofl :rofl
  5. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Some of the larger towns will have a lavanderia, typically full service type of deal - you leave your clothes with the owner/operator, they wash, dry and fold your clothes. The charge is listed per kg of clothes you bring in (plus any fees for extra service). Not a bad way to go if you have enough clothes to do laundry once a week or so when you have a full day for that. In some places I have dropped off cloths early in the morning and had them ready by noon, but don't count on it. It is small town Mexico after all, and there is always time to do stuff later... :freaky

Gustavo
  6. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gus.:thumbup
    Hillsburrito?? Is that New Joisey?:D
  7. kdowell

kdowell Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely, go south! Otherwise the excitement will end at the border and all you'll be thinking about, on the miles of west texas highway 10, is we should have gone south. Maz to Durango is fantastic. The truck stories are definitely true, but you'll be fine. I have a video somewhere of that ridiculousness. I'll see if I can find it. Fortunately I was following the truck and not approaching it.

If you have some freedom in the schedule, I'd suggest going on down to Zacatecas (from Durango) and then maybe on over to the Sierra Gordas. Zacatecas has a beautiful historic downtown. Typically a lot of activity, which makes it fun.

I fully agree with Sjoerd. Stay off the Cuota's unless you need to make up some time. And don't overpack. You'll be much happier with a lighter load and inevitably you'll realize you didn't need all the extra crap. Every year I think about how I can take less.

some photos. sorry, no captions to tell you where we were:
    https://crackerguy.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/Mexico-Moto-2008/4748405_oAZPa#284497418_Phhwc

pg 2 starts in Chihuahua, ends in durango
    pg 3-5 are on the way to Durango.
  8. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks kd:thumbup. If time permits I may add another 'few' miles to our trip. However after looking at the speedo in one of your pics I don't think we'll make time as good as you guys. We are primarily sightseeing and you don't see much at 90-100mph:D
    Nice trip you guys had there.
  9. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There are Harley Davidson dealers listed in Mexico and three of them are on or near the route we plan on taking. They are in Monterrey, Zapopan and Leon. Does anyone have any info on the services, parts etc. that these dealers offer?
  10. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Yes, they can remove all of your chrome bits and replace them with clay, kiln-fired, hand painted pieces :0-0
  11. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just for that I challenge you to a Chunky's Four Horsemen burger.:kboom
  12. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Well one of the group (of four) has dropped out after the recent spate of violence since the drug kingpin was killed in Cuernavaca and after accessing this site.http://hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/464163-mexico-ride.html
    That site is totally negative and this one is totally positive. Now I'm becoming confused about what it's really like down there. I really want to take this trip and plan to implement all the safety warnings I have received on here but if the violence ratchets up considerably between now and April we may be staying stateside.
  13. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I kind of thought the same thing. I'm going to put it to a vote with the remaining three.
  14. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  15. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Joe - If you search this and the regional forum, I have posted several times that I have seen the violence increase in the last year. Some places have become significnatly more violent. As people will be quick to point out, the violence is targetted at people involved in the drug trafficking trade. The risk to you (and all other "civilians") is that you get caught in the middle of open of those fights. To me, that means that you can not wander around city oblivious to what's going on around you (which isn't any different than in many large cities, European or Latin American, although in those cases it usually was more due to someone trying to pick your pocket or steal your bags, but with maybe a little more urgency to the not being oblivious for obvious reasons :deal ).

Since you'll spend most of your time riding and wandering the countryside, your risk is minimal. You probably have to worry about hitting a wild burro on the road or getting run over by a semi that invaded your lane in one of those tight turns much more than any drug related violence.

Gustavo

PS - The "real" Hillburrito is in Orygun, the rest are just Hillsburrito wanabees. :lol3
  16. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  17. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Gustavo I'll pa-a-a-a-ass that on to the .....sheep.:D

Did you notice that my challenge to the 'cartoon poster' w-e-e-e-nt unanswered?:ddog
  18. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Amigo, I'm living about 15 minutes from the Reynosa/Hildalgo border crossing. By the time that you get here I'll likely be about 2 minutes from the new Anzaldaus crossing.

If you need any help or just need to get your feet wet (call it orientation) for a day, or if you need to get your permits here in Reynosa, just say the word and I'll be happy to help.

My girlfriend and I cross the border regularly (like 2-4 times a week) and the guys writing here have also traveled quite a bit into Mexico.

Moral of the story: You'll be fine. The violence is aimed at the folks involved in the drug wars. Mexican riding conditions are "sporty" but they are also very entertaining, and the people are helpful and friendly.

So don't let the negative stories get ya down.
  19. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

I just posted over there and PM'd the guy that asked the original question. I also invited 'em to come here to discuss.

It should be interesting to see how long it takes me to get banned over there. :lol3
  20. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the 'positive' slant John. I'll pass it on to the guys. It will be interesting to see if that H-D poster accepts your offer. I have read some positive threads over there since however. I started a thread such as this one asking info about the route I was taking and have not recieved one reply. I guess Harley riders are a scarcity in Mexico.:dunno
    http://hdforums.com/forum/road-trips/467444-road-trip-info.html
    Thanks again.:thumbup