Florida,Copper Canyon,San Carlos April 2010

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Joe Mc, Nov 11, 2009.

1. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

My pleasure Joe!

Harley riders en Mexico ... man, that's a multi-beer discussion.

When I started riding en Mexico about a decade ago it was very, very rare that you would see ANY touring motorcyclists. I do remember meeting a ponytailed MD in Mazatlan who was riding a Harley, but that was about it.

Now there is quite an interest, and as the Mexican middle class has been growing dramatically there is a lot of interest in motorcycling and rallies, and much of it is Harley oriented.

Coming back from Santa Ana I ran into several groups that were going to a rally at Tuxpam. My trip report on that is here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=473072

And a few weeks ago there was, locally, the most amazing rally that I have ever seen, and that includes over a decade of Daytona Bike Week. Read about Moto Rally II here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=527350

Last weekend en Nuevo Progreso I was shooting the breeze with a guy in a Harley shirt and he gave me his business card; turns out that he's el Presidente of a local club, and we have mutual acquaintances. While we were standing there shooting the breeze another Harley rider walked up asking about what bar had the best sports on the tube. One guy was from N. Progreso and the other was from Reynosa, and while these are all border towns it's still indicative of some riding (and specifically Harley riding) interest on the Mexican side of the border.

I might add that a Mexican guy posted over on the Harley forum and you might contact him; judging by the stuff that he posted I'll bet that he can put you in touch with some Mexican HOG chapters.

Good luck!
  2. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey John thanks:thumbup for the 'mucho informationo':dunno ( I guess I have to practice a little more:D )
    I'm gonna see if I can find that guy/thread.

I'm back and I found Mimo. I see the 'boys' got on your case a little huh? :D You handled yourself well by the way.:thumbup Folks like that give Harley riders a bad name.:fitz
  3. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    Funny stuff. But, back to serious ADVRider talk about riding in Mexico...

You mentioned in one of those posts that the new autopista Durango-Mazatlan was available now. Are you sure about that? AFAIK the Baluarte bridge was not scheduled to be completed until the end of this year with the road becoming available for the trip from Durango to Mazatlan sometime in 2011. Some sections are completed, but I don't think you can make the whole trip via autopista. Where is this info from? :ear

Speaking of which, it seems it has been cold lately in the Durango sierras, the road was closed a few days ago due to snow and ice on the road and limited visibility to make things even worse. It affected mostly the stretches between Llano Grande and El Salto.

Gustavo
  4. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's not finished, by any means.

When it is done, it'll have 57 tĂșneles and 32 puentes. It'll be a fun ride but I won't be leaving the "old" libre behind entirely - for old-times sake.
  5. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

I'll defer to Trice. I thought that someone around here said that they had ridden the new road, but you know how that goes. :wink:

I've been to Mazatlan but not over the Devil's Backbone.
  6. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok here's my check list for the border crossing.

Passport and or passport card

Mexico vehicle insurance.

T.V.I.P.

International driver license

State driver license

Vehicle registration and notarized copy of title with raised seal

My bike is registered in Florida(I'm part time resident) and insured in and by a Connecticut agent and I hold a CT driver license.

Given the above info should I have any trouble crossing?
  7. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    You technically don't need to bring the title. Bring it if it'll make you feel better, it will serve no purpose. You don't need your registration for TVIP purposes since you plan on getting it online, but you will have to carry it for normal "license and registration, sir" activity.

Urban legend, still spread a recent ride report, that a title is necessary for Mexico travel. I have never carried or needed a title crossing into Mexico or riding there.

I carry one Texas drivers license and 3 mordida copies, no international license unless I'm going beyond Mexico.

.jpg copies of all the above plus other documents emailed to myself in case I need to reproduce anything

Add credit/debit card to your list

Make sure all names on all of this stuff match exactly

It's just the way I do it, YMWV
  8. gasandasphalt

gasandasphalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My first bike trip to Mexico, was to Puerto Penasco on my BRAND NEW 1962 Ducati Monza, the road there was very bad pavement for about 30 miles from Sonoyta and then SAND the rest of the way,, bike riders were a definite novelty. As I remember there was one store that was part of a family residence, it was located where the Malecon is now located and a couple guys with modified old cars able to lift a boat from a trailer and drive out into the serf and lower it in the water,, boaters had to ride the contraption out or wade to the boat... getting there was a real challenge,, the last two or three miles was drifted beach sand, dry and SOFT...oh ya the little store sold warm/hot cervasa. :1drink
  9. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    TVIP

Yes to your second question
  10. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

I'll jump in here and say that I have presented my bike's title at a couple of border crossings and things went smoothly, although the lady at one of the Matamoros crossings actually held it up to the light to examine the watermark. :huh

At the Reynosa crossing for another vehicle I used a Florida registration card, which is nothing more than a computer generated, rather plain wallet-sized piece of paper. They accepted that and we were in good shape.

A dirty little secret to keep in mind: Florida registrations don't list lien holders. Ditto the registrations of many other states.

Moral of the story: The standards vary somewhat from border crossing to border crossing. I've heard that you should have your title, but that's about like a few other documents, in that there are "work arounds."

Two licenses in my wallet, and an extra expired one in a second wallet/carrying case that I use for my passport. I ain't takin' no chances. :lol3

The .jpg advice is pretty good.

I have a loooooooong story about my passport and the name on my travelers checks not matching because one had my middle name and the other didn't, and all the irritation that caused one year.

Incidentally, I personally don't recommend travelers checks any more.
  11. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Aduana Mexico has brought itself into the new millenium. Just as perceptions of Mexican roadways as filled with potholes and decaying, when in truth a sweeping modernization program is more than well underway, and most autopistas/carreteras are far better than those in the U.S.

Standards are simple and straightforward. Your vehicle registration is not a workaround, but a totally legal and legitimate document. In fact, if there is a lien on your vehicle and you present your title, you can have problems. In most if not all states, as you mentioned, lien holders are not listed on the registration.

Many people are confused or nervous about entering Mexico, and it is understandable. Sometimes border officials ask for the title, when in all cases they are asking for the ownership document. Title obviously fits this bill but so does registration. Your vehicle registration can't convey ownership to another person but title can, some people think its safer to leave the title home in the strongbox. Having a title at the border can come in handy if you need to convey ownership on the spot to another person, as in the example of two riders, two bikes, both owned by the same person.

Don't be confused by anecdotal stories, most of which are old and getting older, of mordidas paid at the aduana or officials winking somebody through when names do not match on documents. Most of these are historical, and any modern examples of this are odd exceptions and not the normal way of doing business. There have been sweeping changes in personnel and technology all along the frontier, and it hasn't only been on the U.S. side.

Lastly, the requirements to enter Mexico are so simple and straightforward, it is still hard to comprehend why so much is made of a very simple process. I once stood next to an American who knew he needed a credit card to bond his permit, and he knew that if he didn't have a valid card he would have to cash bond the bike. Simple, right? Well, he presented his card and they processed it, then handed it back, telling him it didn't work. He was furious. The problem? He had that card, and all of the cards in his wallet, maxed out (he didn't have the cash bond money either :dunno ). I tried to calm him down - he said he couldn't understand why they wouldn't give him the TVIP - he thought all he had to do was show up at the border with a physical credit card to display. "I thought all I had to do was bring the card, nobody said I had to be able to charge against it"

:baldy

If you run into a rouge cop who tries to shake you down, and this is happening less and less all the time, but it still does happen, then I don't mind being creative, thus why I carry license copies. But I would never use a fake document in a straightforward situation, not even one in which a cop stopped me for a mistake I made and for which he was giving me a legitimate ticket.

So no, there is no "should" or "must" or "its required" in carrying your title. It can and will work, but most riders use registration. And border crossing requirements are standard all along the frontier.

The laws of Mexico, her people, and her country, need to be respected. It's too easy to do, the requirements are few, and published/talked about all over the place here.
  12. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh shit! My passport spells out my middle name, my drivers license has my middle iniitial and Jr. on it, my credit card has just my first and last name. Is this going to give me problems at the border?
  13. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    Tranquilo hermanito - its usually when names change completely and don't match you have problems; example:

Richard Head
    Dick Head

L. Palooza
    Lolla Palooza

Joseph Smilth
    Joe Smith

Robert Trent
    Bob Trent

If your first and last names match on your passport and credit card and registration (or title), you'll be fine. The Jr. and middle name stuff, not so much, unless there is a "Jr" on one of the ownership documents, I'd have that fixed. Doesn't seem to apply in your case.

Your drivers license won't be a factor at the aduana
  14. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh I get it now:doh
    Kinda like Mike Hunt and MikeHunt.:D
    Thanks again for the help.:thumb
  15. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    I haven't heard that one since 3rd grade :webers
  16. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It's and oldie but goodie. BTW you were a 'potty mouth' :nono in the 3rd grade huh?
  17. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

Maybe. Maybe not. My passport and my drivers license are slightly different and I have never had trouble getting permits. I did have a bank kick my travelers checks back once because my middle name (just initial) was on the travelers checks.

You do want to have your ID match your credit card as close as possible, however.
  18. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

I'm the III'd and that's not consistent on my documents, yet (knocking on wood) it's never been an issue.

I agree with you totally about respecting the Mexican laws, but I have had more than one person tell me that if they have a problem they go to another crossing that isn't as picky.

I might add that I have been crossing for over a decade and have never had any trouble. Nor has anyone that I have helped to get across the border. Just like there is some latitude in USA laws at times, there does seem to be some interpretation issues on the details among the local border crossings.
  19. Tricepilot

Oddometer:
    I said "heard" not "said" :eyes The potty mouth in that grade, and every grade until we graduated, was Sherrie :pierce
  20. Joe Mc

Joe Mc Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh so now we are 'ratting' Sherrie out after how many years?:fitz
    It would be kind of poetic were she a member here.:eek1 :rofl