Florida, to the SEAT, to the TAT, to Oregon on 3 WR250Rs

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by mikejana, Aug 26, 2018.

1. mikejana

mikejana Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, It's happening. Despite Mr Garmin's best efforts, we are nearly afoot.

An eye injury at work has me sidelined for what the doctor said will be "1 to 3 or, maybe 1 to 5 years". Amidst the situational vertigo following his comments, I thought, well you've survived a lifetime in the Marine Corps, numerous Hurricanes and Typhoons, the eruption of Mount Pinatubo, a house fire and 3 really adventurous sons; it's time for another adventure. And my wife is really supportive.

My musings will pale behind Brett the Everywhere Man (I have 19 to go), that eastbound Icelander, the guys that were 1st to Tuk and those Kiwi's on Honda minis, but I will share. It may not seem as epic, but with present company it will be as epic as I can fathom.

Two of my three sons have more than a month free to join me. The 3rd will surely join us out west? He has a critical case of FOMO. The bosses will understand, they hired him because he is persuasive (he writes advertising).

The bikes are prepped, fueled & loaded. We will dip our feet in the Atlantic at our beloved Satellite Beach, backtrack half a mile past home on the way through the Space Center. Hope to get the tires sandy at Daytona, take ferry at Mayport and kiss the ocean goodbye at Amelia Island. If the Zumo's co-operate, we will join the SEAT and head west.

Thanks for a forum like this that makes it possible to plan, follow and do this Adventure.
    Advice and constructive criticism are highly encouraged, even more so it they point us towards an epic meal.

bikes.JPG IMG_3499.jpg
    GR8ADV, UKJeeper, BLucare and 21 others like this.
  2. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There's nothing better than a trip with your son or sons in your case. I'm in :ricky
  3. Diddly

Diddly Bored of Directors

Oddometer:
    (Bet your third son joins you by Tennessee.)

In! You’re in for a great trip.
  4. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a great plan. I'm in :lurk
  5. FoggRider

FoggRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those tanks look huge from that perspective! Almost GS'esque.
  6. Critic

Critic More or less!

Oddometer:
    West of the Illinois, heart of the state!
    I'm here!
  7. docwyte

docwyte Long timer

Oddometer:
    Family trip, how awesome!!
  8. MrAndMrsZINC

MrAndMrsZINC Snappin' necks and cashin' checks

Oddometer:
    Awesome.
    We are near pickwick lake on the tennessee/mississippi/alabama border if you need any help or a place to crash.
    mikejana likes this.
  9. Sandspit

Sandspit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's flat and hot and has been for what seems like weeks, great time to bail this swamp. If a 'cane comes I can lend a hand if your family needs it with the board up. Good news is tropics are extremely quiet and should be through early Sept. .... BTW-I am just a few miles South of you in Indialantic...looking forward to the SEAT report as that is about as far as I can go on moto trips due to limited vacation. If you want dirt earlier you could take the XFL route to Big Bend tour and get the SEAT out of the Panhandle.

Attached Files:

mikejana likes this.
  10. TwilightZone

TwilightZone Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Probably late... but lose those front fender bags... at least if you ride at night.
  11. mikejana

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offers.
    I searched for a way to cross Florida with out success, wish I would have found it. Evan asked advice in the Flatestan and planning areas. I'll check it out later when I find time for the west side of the SEAT.

We went till after dark tonight and had to pull 2 of them.

Thanks, we will keep you posted.
    Diddly likes this.
  12. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  13. mikejana

Oddometer:
    So we got out much later than I figured possible. Have a drone. Drone did not co-operate. Messed with drone too much. My iPhone overheated, shutdown and disconnected from the drone, who flew home- to our drive way. That was one of three returns home.
    IMG_0444.JPEG IMG_0456.JPEG IMG_0465.JPEG IMG_0483.JPEG
    Diddly and TwilightZone like this.
  14. mikejana

Oddometer:
    We got on the road and tried to go through the space center and Canaveral National seashore and we were denied, so we detoured around. We went in the Titusville side and got some nice riding through the Haulover Canal and Mosquito Lagoon areas of the park. Got to see some rocket, albeit stationary.

IMG_0468.JPEG IMG_0488.JPEG IMG_0490.JPEG IMG_1940.jpg
    Diddly likes this.
  15. mikejana

Oddometer:
    IMG_3507.jpg

Attached Files:

Ginger Beard and TwilightZone like this.
  16. mikejana

Oddometer:
    Had a front caliper drop a bolt and slide out of place. Luckily we were 2 miles from Spaceport cycles, unluckily it was Monday and no reasonable Motorcycle Shop will hang a sign today other than closed. Found a NAPA and resolution. Visited the"Worlds Most Famous Beach", according to the sign.

Got soaked, sandblasted and had some pretty descent weather in front of us, with Black skies following and racing us all day. Publix Subs and we are out for the night.
    MrAndMrsZINC likes this.
  17. Diddly

Diddly Bored of Directors

Oddometer:
    Good to be on the road.

“If anything is going to happen, it’s going to happen out there.”
    -Captain Ron

You might grab a standard box of spare bolts at the next moto shop.
  18. Addapost

Addapost Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In! Semper fi
    mikejana likes this.
  19. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  20. mikejana

Oddometer:
    So today was full of setbacks. Actually 1 setback. It cost a whole day, kept us on pavement and took us a couple hours in the wrong direction.

The background is this:
    We wanted a communication setup system so we could fellowship and share during this trip. It was definitely not in the budget. My awesome wife pushed for it, thinking it was of utmost importance. We popped for 2 of the Cardo Duo packs with the Cardo slim. Way more than we should have spent for a luxury.
    3 were good, 1 was DOA.
    Cardo Tech support at first was minimally helpful.
    The vendor did not have any more in stock and the this was departure minus 3 days.
    A second call to Cardo connected us to a guy named Gary who was awesome. Way above and beyond.
    Gary connected us to his East Coast rep, who happened to be in Daytona only 1+30 away.
    4 hours later I was home with a new working replacement.

I must say, this is a really neat piece of gear; easy to install, compact and intuitive and from our first few uses exceedingly capable.

Day 1 we departed and the units were an awesome tool, not just a luxury.
    Day 1 + 2 hours and the voice in the Cardo system is telling me that I've got low battery (it's interactive like Siri or Cortania, but it really works).
    The boys were at 80% battery when my "Cardo lady in the device" said "good bye".
    Literally, she says "good bye".
    I turned it off and charged it for a couple hours and it came back.
    That evening mine refused to charge (insert French Military reference), the boy's units charged like the light brigade.
    I talked to the Cardo Rep the next morning and tried several unsuccessful remedies. I got about 15 minutes into the ride before being dissed again. Dead, Muerto, Maki.
    Meanwhile the Cardo rep talks to Gary, who asks for our vicinity and route and went to Great Lengths to find a replacement.
    The only place with a Cardo unit in stock in the correct half of Georgia was Cycle Gear in Savannah.
    Oh, we had just reached the dirt in Hortense Georgia.
    We had to wave off and divert 2.5 hours to Savannah for the Super easy and seamless swap.

So the replacement unit is not the Slim model I ordered, but the chunkier Bold model. I've just a few minutes of use with it and it seems very capable. IMHO, it is not as stylish, compact and sleek as the slim Model.

The Debrief.
    It is a bummer that we had to flex so much and don't have what we originally ordered and paid dearly for but.....
    - We all have Communication with each other and it is awesome.
    - Cardo went above and beyond trying to help save this trip.
    - It took a lot of effort on everyone's part, ours included.
    - I don't see many people stand behind anything these days, especially this level.
    - Big Mahalo and KUDOS to Cardo.

I'll keep you updated how it holds up.

That was busy.
    At least we had rain all day.

Ahh, Savannah, home of the Savannah College of Art and Design. Our middle son graduated from SCAD and we've spent a lot of time in this uber cool town.
    Anytime you get to eat at Zuni's, arguably home to the best sandwich ever, it is a good day.
    A really good day.

IMG_3542(1).jpg
    It really rained all day. It stopped 15 minutes from Zunzi's. God loves Zunzi's too.

So here is a video of us getting Sand Blasted yesterday. That was Haboob level sandstorm. The cars were bailing to the shoulders.

Here is a video on the Mayport Ferry:

No other photos due to rain.

Staying tonight very close to the dirt section of 10b on the SEAT.
    The Big Fun begins tomorrow. We'll keep you posted.
    juno, pir8liner and Diddly like this.