Florida, to the SEAT, to the TAT, to Oregon on 3 WR250Rs

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by mikejana, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Baggi'tard

Baggi'tard If I don't answer I'm ridin' or shootin' Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mike and the boys doing it up Witt Road style.

2. DCTFAN

DCTFAN VIN# JH2SD0451GK000002 '16 CRF1000LD

Oddometer:
    Nice of you to send them off.
    Hope they make it. :)
  3. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  4. mikejana

mikejana Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We have them geared down. 50 on pavement is okay, anymore is sketchy on the knobby rubber. No rescue, 3 of us so self supporting. I'll let you know how they do out west.

Thanks!
    PirateCarpenter and pir8liner like this.
  5. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    Good stuff so far :thumb I'm in!
  6. mikejana

Oddometer:
    Day 6, catch up report
    Started perfect, early start from the campground. Lots of early morning wildlife; a skunk, a Badger I believe and a deer that raced us for nearly half a mile. Actually had everything working flawlessly; bikes, communications and every one was on. Stopped for a quick fill up of E-Free 93, Granola bars and Coconut water. This was the morning the comm's were really fussy. 3 hours of beautiful riding to find the IGA with WiFi and got things straight.

Today was Labor day Sunday and the recreator's were out in force. Beautiful ride through the Tennessee hills and a super water crossing at Knob Creek in David Crockett State Park. We did come across a couple on a 4 wheeler on the dirt roads, the driver literally "handed his beer to the Girl on the back" and did his best to out run us for 20 minutes.

It was about 6 hours of riding without spotting another open restaurant, gas station or mini mart.

A possible red light violation got us an introduction to the very nice Sheriff in Wayne County. He accepted my apology, applauded the hard time my kids were giving me, and gave us directions (and nothing else) to the only food within an hour.
    It was over an hours wait for the mini-mart sandwiches and a lucky draw of one of the last campsite available in this very busy corner of Tennessee on Labor Day Weekend. We found ourselves at the Pickwick dam, setting up tents in the dark.

7. mikejana

Oddometer:
    Day 7,

We met up with brothers Chris and William, from Jonesboro, Arkansas, at the camp ground, riding from Myrtle Beach to Oregon. They tagged along with us today. We crossed the Pickwick dam into Mississippi and headed for Lake Hill Motors hoping to get a look at the excellent vintage Honda collection, but Monday Labor Day gave us the Heisman move.

IMG_3633.jpg

We planned the original TAT route today from the Hatchie River outside of Corinth to Holly Springs and short rest at the Wall Doxie state park. The traffic on Hwy 7 was clobbered with people returning from Labor day events, so we hopped on old Hwy 7, an excellent decision.

A Google Map correction, using bicycle routing, to get us back to the old TAT gave us a lot of excitement. It routed us through some excellent barely traveled double track, through an unlocked gate (without signs) and dumped us into overgrown wooded trails that had not been traveled this year. We kept going because it was a number road and we saw no signage at all. No keep out, no private property.

My bike hit the ground for the first time this trip, I snagged a big vine on the bag mounts and spilled. When I picked it up it was dead, nothing. Kind of strange, but took only a minute to find a blown fuse. Not sure why this would blow a fuse. Note to self = restock the spare fuse and carry more. Had some serious obstacles that everyone overcame and a good time was had by all. A learning point, we later found that road numbers in Mississippi that have 3 digits are county roads and 4 digits are private. Good To Know. Better to have known before.

More excellent roads as we detoured to visit the Devil’s Crossroads in Clarksdale, where Robert Johnson reportedly sold his soul to the Devil to get great guitar skills, or Tommy Johnson if you are a Coen Brothers fan.

IMG_3645.jpg

IMG_3653.jpg

Mississippi in one day, we’ll cross the Ole MissRiver tomorrow and explore Arkansas.

8. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Mike, your never going to guess where I'm at for the rest of the week Pickwick Landing (dam) state park inn.. :-)
    mikejana likes this.
  9. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    Gents - what are those fluorescent panniers? Loving the RR so far :clap
  10. mikejana

Oddometer:
    Those are the ones that cost 29.95 per pair @ ironpony
  11. mikejana

Oddometer:
    Day 8
    The 4 pound Burrito from last night and an all night line for the dryer made for a late departure from the hotel. We stopped at the Dutch Oven bakery on the way out of Clarksdale, their pies alone made it worth the excursion.

A quick 20 minutes had us back on TAT track and crossing the mighty Mississippi River. Quite a big moment on this journey. I'm not sure what they call Arkansas, but the lower half sure seems like the Gravel State, so much gravel.

We did the stop at Heidelberger's for some great new friendship, a few stickers and a bunch of talk story.

IMG_3692.jpg
    IMG_3696.jpg
    IMG_3697.jpg
    IMG_3698.jpg

Then more gravel. Hours of slippery, dusty endless gravel.

Don't watch all of this, it's just gravel;

We opted for some (most) of the green GPSKevin tracks and were on pace to make the TAT shak for the night, but the sunset was a little fast for us (it could not be that we were slow?) and we ducked into Conway for a motel.
  12. mikejana

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have recommendations for a rear tire in NW Arkansas or early Oklahoma?
    The 2 Kendas are holding up great,the Pirrelli not so much.
  13. mikejana

Oddometer:
    Those are the ones that were 29.95 at Iron Pony
    BLucare likes this.
  14. Baggi'tard

Oddometer:
    Ozark Cycle Sports in Bentonville seems to be a good place as far as reviews go. Lots of shops in Fayetteville too. As far as tires go, find a hard terrain tire. Some of the more expensive tires like Golden Tyre 723 rally, or Mefo Super Explorer, etc, will last a lot longer for adventure touring than any average economical dirt bike tire. They will last the rest of your trip.
    mikejana likes this.
  15. mikejana

Oddometer:
    Thanks, we will last awhile beyond the OK border. Hoping someone has a recommendation along the TAT in Oklahoma.
  16. adv_fl

adv_fl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi
    Mike,
    Thanks for the great reports. Turns out that the Pirelli life was indeed an issue. Hope you continue to have a great trip! Heading back to Denver in 17 days to finish OK and AR.
    Wally
  17. Diddly

Diddly Bored of Directors

Oddometer:

The Motoz Hybrid seems to be very popular around my area for on/off-road and long lasting for the light WR.
  18. dstutz

dstutz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ehhhh....I just did the TWVT starting out with a pair of GT723R, which allegedly is softer compound than non R version, after doing maybe 250-300 miles of dual sporting in VT. The front is almost still new. I did 190 miles of I-70/68/79 getting to the start last wed night and there was very noticeable wear at that point. I really had high hopes for these tires that being expensive would be worth it. I'm debating trying a regular GT723 rear before moving on to something else. I run Tubliss and have actually heard good things about E-07 rear with reduced pressures.

New (unrelated TKC-80 with 1000 miles in foreground):
    [​IMG]

After VT miles plus 325 miles (190 of which was 70-80mph interstate) to Chester, WV (at 28/35psi):
    [​IMG]

After 2 days of TWVT at 15psi:
    [​IMG]

After another day:
    [​IMG]

The front still has the indentations in the tread like the rear did....like I said, it's still almost new. Loved the tires on gravel, rock, mud, asphalt though. Riding buddy on a GS800 with Shinko 804/805 complained of lateral slippage in slippery stuff. Seriously have no complaints other than wear. I haven't looked at the tracks yet for total mileage but from that last picture there's only ~1500 miles. I realize there's also a big difference power-wise between the 2 blue and white bikes so maybe a smaller one would do a lot better. I don't ride *that* hard on the center of the tire.
  19. Laboratory Rat

Laboratory Rat böser geistmeister Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk In
  20. mikejana

Oddometer:
    Need a place to buy a tire in Oklahoma. Finding a place to ship one in Oklahoma is seemingly difficult.
    Started with Kenda 270 on 2 bikes, doing great & Pirrelli on other bike, not so great.