Florida, to the SEAT, to the TAT, to Oregon on 3 WR250Rs

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by mikejana, Aug 26, 2018.

1. jdubb75

jdubb75 Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't have the OK TAT route in front of me. Are you going near Bartlesville, OK? Bartlesville Cycle Sports is located in, well, Bartlesville. I have no experience with them...just a quick google search. Maybe they can help?

There's also Honda of Bartlesville and No Limit Powersports.
  2. sperduton

sperduton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    29.95? That has to be a typo..

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
  3. Lizzard323

Lizzard323 Solo rider. Lover of solitude and corn meal.

Oddometer:
    No it wasn't. They were bags originally sold by NR but rebranded or "debranded" and sold by Ironpony. I just looked and didn't see them any more. Nelson Rigg bags are worth looking at. I have had my set for 36k miles.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  4. okietrailboss

okietrailboss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Im south of Tat in tulsa you can ship here or maybe cycle gear has what u want or need

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
  5. NorthernTraveler

NorthernTraveler Long time Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I vote for the Kenda K270's - been using them for years.
    Work pretty good on the back, so so on the front.
    But I got 8000 miles on a set on my DR650. Not to the cords, but not much tread left... 1/8" or less.
    Got 11000 miles on the rear of my Versys.. hooked up GREAT!
    mikejana likes this.
  6. mikejana

mikejana Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're right Wally, it's going quick. The Kendas barely look ridden.

Nope, $29.95. Lizzard323 turned me onto them. I ordered 1 pair because I was skeptical. Ordered 2 more as soon as the 1st arrived.

I'm with you, 2 of the bikes have Kenda 270s that are barely scatched with 2400 miles now. We bought the one bike with new Pirrellis. You can almost watch them melt.
  7. BLucare

BLucare Inmate At Law

Oddometer:
    Which model Pirelli? I have an MT21 that I have yet to install. I'm hoping yours are something else now :lol3
  8. mikejana

Oddometer:
    Day 9
    West Arkansas and the Ozarks. Here's some footage, some of it was left over from Mississippi.

https://www.facebook.com/soccerjamie/videos/pcb.10211570754656824/10211570751336741/?type=3

https://www.facebook.com/soccerjamie/videos/pcb.10211570754656824/10211570753176787/?type=3

We had a spill today that resulted in a slight wrist and knee injury. An attempt to bypass some of the tricky stuff resulted in some of the best rugged remote stuff we've found. Unfortunate time with one of us hurting.

Water Crossing in the Ozarks

We visited the TAT shack, only for a moment to sign the book. Saw the Kiwi Grom sticker, Wow. Thanks to whoever is responsible for that cool reprise, wish we could have spent the night.

IMG_3705.jpg

IMG_3709.jpg

IMG_3711.jpg

IMG_3712.jpg

As I've mentioned, we are traveling with numerous sets of old and new tracks. We are making our own adventure by combining and mixing these tracks and connecting points with our own discoveries, mistakes & guesses. We avoided eating more than snacks today, looking forward to some righteous grinds at the Oark General store and cafe. Trying to shorten the time between the TAT shack and Oark got us the real adventure I mentioned above. It may have shortened the distance, but way more than tripled the time. When we finally cleared the rocky single track, we knew we were too late for Oark. We continued on the TAT beyond Byrd's Adventure center and took 16 north to Fayetteville.

-YouTube Link still loading, will fix ASAP-

We wanted to be near civilization, in case the injuries proved worse in the morning. Found a super Hotel downtown for the price of a Super 8, way too nice to be arriving in dirty MX gear.
    BLucare likes this.
  9. mikejana

Oddometer:
    Thursday
    Today is Jamie's birthday, so we were planning a rest day to Celebrate. Great food and digs in Downtown Fayettville. We changed oil, made arrangements for a tire down the road and visited a laundromat.

"Woo Pig Souie", it's obviously an Arkansas thing.
    Why is Arkansas pronounced [ahr-kuh n-saw] when Kansas is pronounced [kan-zuh s]? just wondering.

Got some well needed rest on the bodies.

The wrist and Knee are sore.

No big or permanent problems, but we definitely need to take it easy for a couple days.
    Strom-boli, Diddly and BLucare like this.
  10. mikejana

Oddometer:
    Friday and we are off on Day 10
    We still need some time to heal and recover. We also have the wet remnants of Tropical Storm Gordon on top of us. We will be taking the easiest options through Oklahoma to Colorado.

I'm guessing it will look nearly the same, viewing from the parallel pavement?

We have also been worried about beating the weather in the Rockies.
    We are lifetime beach people and want to be as healthy and prepared as possible for the Colorado and beyond. I'll update you as soon as it is interesting again.
  11. adv_fl

adv_fl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't think you can beat the weather completely in the Rockies, the cold, snow still in a few spots and the fierce hail was there even in late July.
    Get back to 100%, you have a lot more great challenges coming up. There is no shame in a needed detour. One of the truisms of the TAT is that no two TATs are alike, you're doing the right thing. You wind up having to work around closed roads, flooding canyons, fire closures, side trips for parts, rest or resupply. Some of the little side jogs you discover will yield great unexpected returns in bonus adventure.
    Keep enjoying and thanks for the reports!
  12. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you hit rain in Oklahoma the ensuing mud storm or what the locals call roads will make Colorado seem like a trip to the corner grocery store
  13. adv_fl

adv_fl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I love that picture, hope to not see it though! OK so far was easy cruising.
  14. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We got rain on our second day in Oklahoma and it turned into a real struggle at times. The rest of the time it was downright difficult riding on snot slick roads. OK is also the part of the trip my son and I remember as being the most fun.
    Yinzer Moto and adv_fl like this.
  15. mikejana

Oddometer:
    We are in it today. Or should I say around it. Cell service is so limited, I’ll catch up on the reports when I can.
    pir8liner likes this.
  16. mikejana

Oddometer:
    So we slabbed more than we had planned. We were trying to give the bruises time to heal, and the back roads are okay. Sorry we missed the dirt in eastern Oklahoma, I think it would have been as fantastic as West Arkansas. It was on and off wet all day today.
    We were really excited to see the "ghost Town" of Elgin Kansas, just off the TAT north of Bartlesville. The Mototrek Guys really made it sound creepy.
    They must have hit it on an empty workday, Saturday we pretty bustling and we saw about 20 people.
    Cool bridge on the way into town:

IMG_3728.jpg

Creepy abandoned house, Elgin Kansas; IMG_3748.jpg

We slabbed Kansas state road 166 to Caldwell and went south into Oklahoma to investigate this:

IMG_3756.PNG
    pir8liner and BLucare like this.
  17. mikejana

Oddometer:
    I have been wondering about this section since I first got my TAT tracks from GPS Kevin. We hopped off the road to investigate. Now it had been more wet than not since Arkansas, and our highway use had not exposed us to the infamous Oklahoma Mud. So here is my breakdown of this weird Geographic anomaly on the GPSKevin tracks. It is red, but the red is definitely not the challenging choice when wet.
    This is the red, but is just pleasant, one is in front of us & the other was our arrival path at this intersection. IMG_3758.jpg IMG_3759.jpg

This is the other choice, that I would have definitely colored red, or yellow-black hazard colors. It is an evil creation of Beelzebub. It should be avoided at all costs.
    IMG_3760.jpg
    Testing it with our boots was enough. The 25 cent car wash is probably even afraid of it.

In this weather, we were happy to parallel it on macadam to New Mexico (which I hear is similar to old Mexico, only cleaner).
  18. mikejana

Oddometer:
    Stayed with friends in Colorado, we will be back on the trails tomorrow (Monday). Had a chance to buy winter gloves, sleeping bags and thermal underwear. Hope to camp the next couple nights.

Updates on the passes and trails after the front range would be appreciated.
  19. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    Drink tons of water once the altitude starts going up.
    2WheelNeal, BLucare and mikejana like this.
  20. mikejana

Oddometer:
    We made to Westcliffe.
    Started the day at a post office to lighten the load after picking up the cold weather gear.
    Had a nice stop at the very sketchy Bishop Castle .

IMG_3805.jpg IMG_4804.jpg IMG_4823.jpg

A campground was not as easy to find as expected, we ended up in an RV park. Nice dinner in a bowling alley. Beautiful views of the Sangre de Christo Range.

IMG_4830.jpg

Several choices to make on the tracks today, but we're climbing!
    The boys are working on videos from the last couple days, I'll post when they are done.
    gulfcoaster and BLucare like this.