Florida Trails and Tracks Network

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by XRWilly, Feb 23, 2019.

1. XRWilly

XRWilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    UPDATE 3/9/2019: Unfortunately the world is not quite ready for this idea so it has been scrubbed and the website linked below has been locked down. While the idea behind the Network may have proven to be a useful resource for those in the Florida Adventure Community that don't have the time, flexibility and/or money to join either organized rides/rallies or adhoc rides of those with more Florida trail experience, similar cases that I have subsequently uncovered appear to indicate that such a Network would likely also become a resource to the ever growing crooked element of our society to take advantage of for monetary or other nefarious cause.

Original post:

My name is Bill from Plant City, Florida and I've been riding for going on five decades now. I'm retired and I try to ride dual sport and our area trail systems as often as possible. I've probably met many of you at some of the more notable rallies in Florida including Devil's Creek, Polar Bear, Wild Bear. My rally plan this year includes Perry Mountain (Alabama), the Hooch (North Georgia), Tennessee Discovery (Nashville Area) and I really haven't thought about the second half of the year yet. I preface this post with this information for no other reason than to perhaps emphasis that I'm serious about dual sporting and the idea I'm currently working on.

What I find myself working on is a Florida-based dual sport/adventure resource project that some of you might find interesting and like to help me work on and/or, ultimately, use.

The idea behind The Florida Trails and Tracks Network resource is to provide dual sport and adventure enthusiasts (Florida-Based or Visitors) with a resource to publicly accessible trail locations, on a region-by-region basis, that provides comprehensive details about each trail system and it’s amenities (right down to camping and fueling locations), maps and a dot.gpx track or two of recommended navigation options.

To be clear, this is NOT a project for computer jockeys. This IS a project for riders. This is NOT about sitting at your computer and writing posts about trail locations based on publicly available maps and information. This is NOT about exploiting the information from organized rally tracks that you might have attended or might otherwise have in your possession. This is NOT about re-living and documenting a trail you may have ridden in the past. Rather, this IS about researching a trail system in your area in today's state, actually visiting the trail system (preferably with your buds), taking some pictures, recording a contemporaneous track (in dot.gpx), or two, and compiling all the information in a format both useful and accessible to dual sport and adventure enthusiasts. If you’re a rider, you don’t have a problem with this. You’ll get your pals and your bikes together and go work out a great way to present a trail system to other dual sport and adventure enthusiasts.

Structurally, the current working platforms that I’m using for this idea are Google’s Blogger Service and Google’s Drive Service. Blogger is a free blog-development and hosting service. It is about as turnkey (i.e. easy) as it gets and seems to provide almost all of the tools necessary for the successful display of the individual trail systems. Drive is simply a file storage where I am currently filing and from where I’m sharing the dot.gpx tracks. Essentially, the Network will ultimately consist of a association of interlinked, regional blogs using a convention called Link-Building.

So, maybe sounds like something someone else has done, so what does this one look like, you ask?

I have proceeded with the project by hosting of the first Blog in the Florida Trails and Tracks Network. I’m calling the region West Central, for now, but that’s subject to change. Following the guidelines that I’ve drafted for the Network (accessible in the blog via link), I’ve developed and reported posts for two Florida Trail Systems for your review. One is Croom WMA in Brooksville, Florida and the other is Dinner Island Ranch WMA in Clewiston, Florida. These are two smaller publicly accessible forest road systems that I figured would be best for experimenting with the content and display. Following is a link to the Blog.

https://floridatrailsandtracks.blogspot.com/

The current plan is to attract regional (to be defined) representatives to build and host their regional blogs and write the related trail posts using Draft Guidelines that can be found linked to the initial blog (again, accessible via a link in the blog).

This is not a for-profit project. It’s not about making money. It actually doesn't make any money. It’s about helping our busier dual sport and adventure brothers and sisters make decisions on places to ride using comprehensive, real and contemporaneous information.

Let me know if you or anyone you know might be interested in helping build the Network.
  2. Gone4Good

Gone4Good aka "Worst Mexican Ever"

Oddometer:
    Count me in.
  3. XRWilly

XRWilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Outstanding! You were on the African Twin at the ADVshit Ride a couple weeks ago! I did a track and writeup in the DIR where we stayed on Sunday for the Network and then went fishing. I recorded the tracks in Okolacoochee and Spirt WMA's on Saturday. If you'd like to start your blog with those two trail systems, let me know and I'll send them to you. Check out the guidelines in the West Central Blog. Woohoo, looking forward to working with you on the Network.
  4. Levinz11

Levinz11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Following.

Guy on Instagram calling himself oneworldcycles was scouting a FL ADV route last week. He rode Homestead to GA and back, majority off road I think.

Are you on here bro?
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  5. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

That's my page. My buddy and I just got back from running the entire FL.A.T. route. Lots of great riding and we lucked out in the weather department for the most part. Leaving again in a couple of weeks to figure out some reroutes and route additions/deletes. Trying to get the route dialed before hosting it. 1600 miles and about 75-80 % dirt. Tough to find anything unpaved south of Okeechobee that is suitable for routing.
    seatec, BillyGoat4130, scanda and 2 others like this.
  6. XRWilly

XRWilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you'd be a good candidate to help us with this idea, Ginger Beard.

Although the basic idea has a regional twist to it, cross state rides one way or the other fit in perfectly! I have in my plan to work up a west to east route, although first I'm going to knock out the wildlife management areas in my neck of the woods.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  7. Sandspit

Sandspit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can provide the best routes through Brevard County along the east coast; a mix of dirt roads, paved river roads, Ocean views (A1A) for a short time...seems this type of post pops up every few months but to have a dedicated url is the way to go...the Trans FL has some good roads just not sure if they are willing to release the route to the general public...I'll share what I know as FL dualsport is alive but we have such low numbers due to the heat and terrain so I do not see a huge influx of riders.
  8. Levinz11

Levinz11 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’d love to see these Brevard tracks. I’m in Osceola and new to dual sport. Used to ride at 5A when I was a kid on quads.
  9. XRWilly

XRWilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The idea here resulted from the fact that many riders can't ride the primo event circuit for one reason or another. They don't the have the time. They can't afford it. They just want to manage there own schedule and pace. At the same time we definitely don't want to exploit the good work by the organizers of the primo rides. So not only do we not need event organizers to release their information...we don't want it. The idea here is to ignore everything currently available, including that stuff in our own files, and go out and make our own network of trail systems and tracks along with comprehensive information on each system....and have some fun with our trail buddies in the process.
  10. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    I think we've done 8 or 9 Trans-Fla rides so far which means we have 16 or 18 cross state routes in the books, consisting of stuff mostly (but not all) north of O-town. I think we plan on keeping them and future ones proprietary but it's certainly easy enough to come on our rides and track them. There's only so many dirt roads left in Florida (but a number of ways to stich them together) plus a lot of the locals don't like us buzzing down "their" roads so for now we'll probably stick with the status quo to keep the traffic down.

Edit, was still typing when I saw your last post, we appreciate the courtesy.
    Ginger Beard and Huzband like this.
  11. jaydee1445

jaydee1445 Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer:
    I applaud the effort but my fear in putting routes out there is Asshats doing stupid shit, pissing peps off, and screwing up access for everyone.
    Seen it happen too often with Jeep spots
  12. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's one reason so many levee's around the WMA's are closed to motorized traffic down here... The trash left behind, in what is open, is just ridiculous.
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  13. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Airboaters I say!

[​IMG]
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  14. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    :evil Now that's what I'm talking about.....:lol3
  15. jaydee1445

jaydee1445 Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer:
    IMHO routes are better shared by PM to known Inmates
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  16. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    "Keep it secret, keep it safe"
  17. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

I appreciate the vote of confidence but my region has 3 unpaved roads and everyone knows them already. :lol3

I like the idea of having a resource for dualsport/ riders in FL but beyond legal roads and state forests/wma's , I have similar concerns to others here with regards to giving up info about possibly sensitive areas.
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  18. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Dual Sport hell for sure. I don't miss it.

Same concerns here. Being a short distance, but well outside the metropolitan hell of Tampa and Orlando areas with 4.6m and 2.13m people respectively really puts areas where tracks and/or routes are public at great risk.
    Ginger Beard and waybill like this.
  19. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    :lol3 But the weather is nice

It's a balance for sure. I've been working on a route that runs a loop through FL and I've done my best not to trace over other routes , run through legally suspect areas or run people through environmentally sensitive areas where people might complain about increased traffic. Having just run the whole route I've already pulled 100 or so miles out that might be problematic and I'm still working out other reroutes.

It's a real shame that we have to constantly accommodate for the lowest common societal denominators.
    Huzband, rider1150gsadv and ctoldie like this.
  20. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    About 2 years ago I built an Adv route the entire length of the peninsula to Everglades City (I've pre-ridden it), if you wanna go to Key West you're on your own : ) It hooks up with a route I made from central Fla to Tellico Plains and/or Asheville that was finished up about 7 years ago (it took 4 or 5 before that to make it, obviously when it was convenient) . For reasons already mentioned I've kept it to myself for the most part. Heck there's a guy in the mapping section of ADV that read our first ride report on the SET (2013), is using parts of it from info we posted and calling it his own. So yes there are pitfalls to publishing your intellectual property for everyone to see.

GB it's likely you've used some of the same roads I did w/o knowing it because there are only so many options but I commend you for taking the time to build and you and Andy to pre-ride it. Might be fun to sit down some time and compare notes.
    Huzband and Ginger Beard like this.