Florida Trails and Tracks Network

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by XRWilly, Feb 23, 2019.

1. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Buy a boat.

The area above water is f'ed

[​IMG]
    YJake, waybill and Ginger Beard like this.
  2. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:

:2cryWe've F'd the water too.
    YJake and rider1150gsadv like this.
  3. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, you make reference to:

"Its origination came in discussion with serious dual sport and adventure enthusiasts who are frustrated with the lack of publicly available information about publicly accessible trail and track information; people who don’t have the time or money to afford joining the organized events (Devil’s Creek this weekend cost me $180) or can’t work their way into the Inmate cliques and circles “so someone will pm them a track or two”…"

And, by default, you're essentially creating a separate "clique" of riders whose sole purpose is to try and collect potentially sensitive tracks that may or may not recommended to access on any conditions?

I've never had an issue getting into a "clique" of riders. Sure, sometimes it's tough to organize rides, but we've all done it, and for the better, we've learned to appreciate each others company and the work required to either a) obtain tracks or b) put our own tracks together.

Your idea of reciprocity is great, but the reality is in a public setting, someone WILL attempt to gain a monetary or other advantage. You may not think that, but to suggest the end product will remain tête-à-tête amongst those people is risky, at best.

I applaud your efforts, and hope something good comes from it, but open, and potentially unfettered access, will only create more headaches for all of us "in the clique" that do try and find our own ways.
  4. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    The main reason I quit fishing after 27 years...:bluduh
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  5. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum

Oddometer:
    And why I left behind my environmental science degree.

Just the last 10 years of bad legislation and poor stewardship has drastically changed the water quality. You should have seen this state when I was a kid, long before we decided to politicize taking care of the environment. It was beautiful.
  6. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    I remember some of it as I have been here for 30+ years. The waters in the Keys made me stay and work under and on it both as a diving instructor and fishing guide... Diving now blows as the reef is toast and fishing just sucks in the backcountry as you can't eat any of them without either glowing in the dark or end up with Monsanto chems in you digestive system...:bluduh
    Ginger Beard likes this.
  7. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    And after I showed u the secret to catching fish in that Colorado mud puddle years ago.

I think you still owe me on that:D however the look on your face was priceless:eek2
    Ginger Beard and rider1150gsadv like this.
  8. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:

That was a nice surprise for sure :D, but I kept on guiding till 3 years ago....:deal
    You must admit though that I used bait bigger than those trout...:lol2
    sanjoh likes this.
  9. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Works for bigguns as well!

Nice brown I caught in the Tetons. Tasty on the campfire that night!
    trout.jpg
    Ginger Beard and rider1150gsadv like this.
  10. rider1150gsadv

Oddometer:
    That’s more like it :thumb
  11. BillyGoat4130

BillyGoat4130 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Open invitation to anyone that gets around (or wants to get around) the Live Oak/White Springs/Jasper/Jennings/Madison areas...there are more dirt roads than you can shake a stick at. 5th generation Floridian and been in this area almost 30 years and still learning all of them.

The timing has always been bad for me on the TransFlorida rides..but happy to share routes and ride with anyone that want's to explore some up here. jaydee1445 has been on a few of them.

there was a similar discussion to this one a few months back I posted some of the routes I'm familiar with in; https://advrider.com/f/threads/tran...-north-central-brainstorming-concept.1349085/
  12. salty_dog

salty_dog Day trips around TLH, WMAs and South Ga dirt roads

Oddometer:
    I’ll meet ya over your way or somewhere in between. My 94 yo dad is in rehab and not doing real good so timing is bad right now. As soon as I can we can combine some east and west routes perhaps
    BillyGoat4130 likes this.
  13. ex250mike

ex250mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any tracks publicly shared will eventually make it to the jeep club circles and brodozers after that.
    I've been on (jeep) rides years ago that had 40+ vehicles. Even when trying to "tread lightly" they leave trails tore up afterward. I've seen freshly graded dirt roads turned into a bombed out rutted mess after just a few days due to rain + 4x4's.

Part of the reason roads get paved ( or areas closed off) is because it costs money to keep re-grading torn up roads. Less traffic = less loss of riding areas.
    YJake, sanjoh, jaydee1445 and 2 others like this.
  14. jaydee1445

jaydee1445 Footpeg Crash Tester

Oddometer:
    I miss the old Advrider......Remember when you were a n00b until 3000 posts?
    When I first joined if some twit:asshat with a couple hundred posts started dissing an old timer they would get flamed told:stfu and the thread got booted to the basement.
    No respect:dunno I bet he has small hands
    rider1150gsadv and sanjoh like this.
  15. BillyGoat4130

BillyGoat4130 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    10-4 and understood. Mine is 86 and similar boat probably. Holler at me any time. Have a local group but we mostly ride the street wit them, haven't done much dirt riding with other folks so far.
  16. motomike14

motomike14 Thumper Crusader Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but, now everyone buys a GS and is “in the club” even if the bike goes to Starbucks and back. Can we say we are ADVriders unless we buy a $600 luggage rack or a $799 KLIM jacket?
  17. waybill

waybill wayward

Oddometer:
    No Klim gear or billet luggage racks here..

[​IMG]

will confess to a couple GS's tho. :evil
  18. XRWilly

XRWilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Mike, could you come back to me with what you mean by “potentially sensitive tracks.” The guidelines that I’ve drafted are very clear that all tracks that get publicly posted must be created, contemporaneously by the host of the blog. Tracks from organized events, such as the Devils Creek Rally I just did, are not allowed. In fact, tracks that potential hosts may have in their electronic files are not allowed. The way I’ve described it is hosts need to get their riding buddies together and go to whatever trail network they want to document and develop the information required in the guidelines.

Go to the link and look at Croom, for example. This is my riding area, being from Plant City. I've ridden that track about a hundred times, but I went up there and scoped out camping, restaurants and designed a track to most efficiently get the user through the network of forest roads. I don’t see how that is “sensitive,” so let me know what you meant. Thanks.
  19. XRWilly

XRWilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Huzband. Honestly, I’m sorry you feel that way. Go look at his post. He referred to “our offroad riding spots.” He said “our” offroad riding spots. OUR! That’s a quote. He referred to “5 million numnuts” and implied that he, with his 55 million years of Florida riding experience and the like, should be the one to qualify who gets track information and who doesn’t. He did not offer any “legitimate reasons,” because those aren’t legitimate reason. He is Wrong! If you believe that we own the offroad riding spots, you are wrong too. If you believe that people who have been in Florida longer than others can qualify who gets track information, you are wrong.

And by the way, he’s arrogant and full of himself. He displayed his arrogance in the posts above with those comments, and he’s now saying “inquiring minds want to know how long I’ve been riding part of the Florida riding network” ya-know, because he's got all these posts on Adventure Rider and I only got like a hundred seventy something.
  20. XRWilly

XRWilly Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I’ve been on Adventure Rider (5/2009) a year longer than Waybill (5/2010). I just choose not to be a post whore or troll.

This past weekend, I led groups through three days of some fairly serious technical dual sport riding through the swamps of Devils Creek (my home track) with my “small hands” …….. while you were posting on the Internet.

Listen dude...I’m two weeks from 60 years old, I have arthritis in my left shoulder and a bad knee, both from offroad riding incursion, but I’ve been ridin’ and enjoyin’ the Florida Trail Network for the most of my days. I don’t know who you are or what your skill level is, but….but…you tell me where and when, and we’ll go head to head on any trail…you pick it…in the State of Florida. As long as it doesn’t interfere in my rally calendar, win-lose-draw, I have nothing better to do than to stand up to any Adventure Rider Bully who thinks he’s better than me because I don’t have 3,000 posts.

How about we either work out a where and when…starts with you…or you STFU?

Edit: Nothing until April. Tennessee Discovery Rally 4/12-14, Perry Tower Run 4/26-28. Then nothing until the Hooch, 6/7-9.
    Dan Diego likes this.