FLSB Sport Glide mods

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by alpina, Aug 13, 2019.

1. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    :rofl
    Kevm and Traxx like this.
  2. HuntWhenever

Oddometer:
    I used posi-taps into both of the rear brake/turn signals. No issues with CAN-Bus.

I tolerate no criticism of my cappuccino transportation methodologies.
    Traxx likes this.
  3. HuntWhenever

Oddometer:
    On a more serious note...I use my topcase for my work backpack. It barely fit in my Givi E52. The V56 gives me a little more fluff to put some electrical prints or what not in there with my backpack.
    dceggert and Traxx like this.
  4. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I can see that. My case is not wide or long enough for prints, well really that depends on the size. I remember you install the equipment so will have the full size prints.
  5. rauchman

rauchman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fantastic job on this! Everything looks integrated and looks to be an excellent tourer, well, an excellent just about everything bike.

So wish HD would make a factory version of this.
    Traxx and HuntWhenever like this.
  6. HuntWhenever

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Revolution Max 1250 engine + FXRT fairing = sold Sport Glide.
    rauchman and Traxx like this.
  7. HuntWhenever

Oddometer:
    I keep my prints in pdf form on my laptop. I usually show up to an install a few days into it once power is up. So the few times I actually have to carry prints along is when there were last-minute changes made and I gotta take the updated electrical print package to the electrical tech already onsite. Even though having to do this is a rarity, I'd rather have the capacity to do so than to say "Sorry I can't bring those with me. I'm on the bike."

Probably the craziest work-related thing I've hauled on the bike was a Dell mid-sized tower computer. I was updated this customer's vision system and needed backups of the old system. We decided to just haul the old computer back to the office and I would have it at my disposal throughout the duration of the project. The customer's engineer helps me bring it out to the parking lot and there sets my V-Strom. He's like "Uhhhh...I guess we could UPS this to you?". I toss it on the pillion seat up again the topcase and bungee it down (with much redundancy).
    dceggert and Traxx like this.
  8. BarKnee

BarKnee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Haha true dat:lol3

My formula looks more like:
    Pan America at MSRP + good trade-in $ = traded Sport Glide

Mostly counting on the ride across town to remind me how much I like the SG to prevent any money from changing hands!
  9. BarKnee

BarKnee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Marked as "new arrivals" in factory parts, specific to Sport Glide. Maybe not new to anyone else, but first time I've noticed them.

2 flavors of mid-controls:

OEM style- less expensive but requires additional parts swapping, like exhaust and primary cover.
    https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/shop/Original-Equipment-Mid-Controls-Brake-Side/p/50501988
    https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/shop/Original-Equipment-Mid-Controls-Shift-Side/p/50502090

"Accessory" style - more $ but no additional parts to swap
    https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/shop/Accessory-Mid-Controls-Brake-Side/p/50502040
    https://www.harley-davidson.com/us/en/shop/Accessory-Mid-Controls-Shift-Side/p/50502041
    Traxx and HuntWhenever like this.
  10. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love it! Used to have that with the Fat Bob but discontinued due to lack of interest. Now I just gotta see what they look like installed. I love that new White 2021 Sport Glide!
    Kevm likes this.
  11. dceggert

dceggert Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Metro Detroit - almost like offroad riding
    LOL...I use my bike for work as well and have transported many odd things. My backpack holds my tablet and my work laptop, and of course the needed mouse, interface cables, and lunch.

The craziest thing I hauled on the bike was a 200# fixture and press. The hydraulics went into the tour pack and the frame got strapped to the back seat. I figured it was made to haul a passenger so what the heck. It did fine but, I have my Ultra Limited so that thing is like a truck!
    Philthy64, HuntWhenever and Traxx like this.
  12. HuntWhenever

Oddometer:
    LOL...that's pretty crazy!
    I was going to an install one time and took all of the Cognex vision systems and lenses along with me. They all fit neatly in the V-Strom's side case so no biggie. About halfway to the jobsite I realized that I was hauling $80k of machine vision hardware on an $11k motorcycle. I rode carefully for the rest of the trip.
    Traxx and dceggert like this.
  13. Philthy64

Philthy64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

A little off topic but back in the early 80's my dad did the 50km return leg from work on his CM250 Honda Custom carrying a side of lamb and a carton of beer :dukegirl:drink
    dceggert, HuntWhenever and Traxx like this.
  14. HuntWhenever

Oddometer:
    Got my Clearview 11" recurve screen in. Test rides to follow.
    20210322_175614.jpg 20210322_175637.jpg
  15. Traxx

Traxx Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looking great
    HuntWhenever likes this.
  16. BarKnee

BarKnee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Put about 150 mi on the new Harley Sundowner seat today. Vastly superior passenger seat, the shape of the rider portion is great, but the foam is a little soft for my tastes so pretty sure I'll be removing the cover and and adding some much stiffer foam to strategic locations. All in all a big improvement over stock.

[​IMG]
    alpina, rauchman, Cogswell and 5 others like this.
  17. BarKnee

BarKnee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mounted new Shinko radial this morning. Nice try you MFers at Harley, you ALMOST made it such a horrible process that I briefly considered just taking it to the shop next time. But given that tricks have been learned, you didn't defeat my cheapskate ass! (Of course not quite done yet, still have belt tension and wheel alignment left to do). Credit goes to beer and an extensive cursing vocabulary:1drink

[​IMG]
  18. HuntWhenever

Oddometer:
    Are you referring to the rubik's cube game of getting the caliper / caliper bracket off from around / inside the rear wheel?
    rauchman and Traxx like this.
  19. BarKnee

BarKnee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes that. It reminded of back when I was a working stiff and got sent to Ireland on loan labor. The natives apologized in advance for the frequency of "Feck" used in all conversations, only to realize that probably wasn't necessary when one of the lads said to me "Tom, you're cursing in sentences, Tom"!

And then getting the axle installed while holding the tire up while holding all the spacers etc in line. And having to do that twice because the wire routing on the WSS wasn't right the first time. The joy of doing something the first time, but lessons learned should make the next one much easier.

Kinda makes me miss this setup:raabia

[​IMG]
  20. Philthy64

Philthy64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am currently seriously considering buying a brand new Sport Glide. I currently have an Iron Barrel, a Shovel and two TC88's (FXSTS and FLSTSI), all of which are fairly agricultural and forgiving of "home mechanics". I am concerned about ease of maintenance on these new bikes - I tend to do most of my own services and only take it to a shop if there is something more complex needing to be done. It's not a deal breaker and I am still excited about the prospect of my first "new" Harley in 36 years but at the same time I am a bit cautious about how much of the maintenance I will be able to do in the shed at home. Thoughts ?
    Cheers
    Philthy
    villageidiot and Traxx like this.