FLSB Sport Glide mods

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by alpina, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Cogswell

Cogswell Road General

Oddometer:
    If you leave it stock (engine) you shouldn't need anything more than regular fluid, filter, and tire changes. :dunno
  2. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    I do all my own maintenance on my Sport Glide. Oil changes, clutch adjustments, etc. I take the wheels to a local multi-brand shop for tire changes. Whenever I get to the point of needing forks rebuilt, I'll likely take it into a shop. The rear shock is super easy to replace, though.
    Chillis, rauchman, Philthy64 and 2 others like this.
  3. HuntWhenever

Oddometer:
    LOL...sounds like the same struggles I went through. I ended up lowering the lift to get the wheel and axle lined up without having to hold the wheel up. This was after failing to hold it up a few times and then failing to find a peice of scrap wood in the barn the right thickness to wedge under the tire.
    Chillis, staticPort and Traxx like this.
  4. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    HuntWhenever - I like the fairing change, right down to the turn signals. Nicely done.

A couple random thoughts: I’ve never been a fan of forward controls but that’s just me. Also, I find it odd that HD fitted the Roadster with dual disks but not this model, one far more likely to be carrying more luggage and weight in general. Also, call me anal but I’ve always had difficulty with the esthetics of large bikes with a single front disk.
    Kevm, HuntWhenever and victor441 like this.
  5. SportsterTom

SportsterTom Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You'll no doubt be fine with the mechanicals, it will be the electronics that will be the problem if there are any issues. Scan tools ect.
    Philthy64 and Traxx like this.
  6. BarKnee

BarKnee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having the proper tools and the service manual should give you a fighting chance:-)
    The issue with the service manual is having all of the softail models bundled into one and sorting through to find the info for your specific bike, but that's generally the best time to enjoy a frosty beverage:beer
    Chillis, rauchman, Philthy64 and 2 others like this.
  7. HuntWhenever

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

I wasn't a big fan of the forward controls, but they weren't that bad and they weren't the extended forward controls. The floorboards are a great fit and super comfortable.

I would have preferred a second disc up front, but I must admit the single disc is completely fine for everyday use and some aggressive riding. I may think differently if I was bombing down canyon roads everyday.
  8. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what the Laidlaw review said. With USD forks and mag wheels it just looks strange with a single disc, not that it NEEDS dual discs.
    Traxx likes this.
  9. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    I could care less what some prat with skin in the game like Laidlaw says. IT IS UTTERLY STUPID for a bike with any sort of either Sporting or Touring pretenses (especially the size and weight of these things) NOT TO HAVE DUAL DISCS.

Yes, sure, fade isn't likely outside of aggressive riding coming out of the Rockies.

But there is more to the story. Two-up, loaded down, hot day, you want max brake with minimum effort. Hell you want that day after day.

I had a single 4-pot Brembo on the front of my ~580-600# Guzzi Jackal, ran solo most of the time, BURNED THROUGH A SET OF BRAKE PADS EVERY FRIGGING TIRE CHANGE (meaning no more than about 10k). Screw that. No reason for that.

Duals would if not only eliminate any realistic possibly for brake fade, add ease of use, but also extend maintenance intervals well.

Oh yeah, and they also look the business.

I cannot imagine having USD forks on a friggin Harley, but skipping the fricking second caliper. Stupid, dumb, ignorant, anti-fucking-useful bike Mother FOOOOKERS from the factory. Ugh.
  10. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well it wasn't Matt but the second guy who works there and spends too much buying new bikes every couple of years. Yeah, I know he gets a discount and probably top dollar on his resales. But he is very honest about his impressions, even when they disagree with Harley. He did state that he is short & thin and rides solo. But he said he felt like he never needed the second disc.
    Traxx likes this.
  11. rauchman

rauchman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, they don't make a rear tire change easy. I dread if I ever get a flat on the road where I have to pull the wheel off.
    Traxx likes this.
  12. HuntWhenever

Oddometer:
    Awww come on...tell us how you really feel. :D
  13. BarKnee

BarKnee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fortunately I had a 4x4 and a 2x4 wedge to maneuver the wheel up to the right height, but even that sucked while trying to jockey the brake rotor into the slot on the caliper mount. A little finessing the axle into the big spacer on one side and a wooden dowel into the spacer, caliper mount, and WSS on the other side. Tapping the axle thru displaced the dowel and victory!

Demounting/mounting the tires on the rims with basic tire irons and my ghetto fabulous bead breaker was easy in comparison.:umph
    Traxx and HuntWhenever like this.
  14. BarKnee

BarKnee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm afraid if I can't fix a flat with a tire plug and a bicycle pump I will hang a "free" sign on it and hitchhike home.
    rauchman and Traxx like this.
  15. BarKnee

BarKnee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Today's mod, tire rubber removal. It's a vicious circle:-)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Pabst, alpina, Traxx and 9 others like this.
  16. darmahman

darmahman "Illogically Deluded" Supporter

Oddometer:
    Took 5 1/2 " windshield off and road"naked" this a.m. out in the foothills. 73ED98A4-64D9-4222-9755-906E8A275D9E.jpeg
    So much nicer. No turbulence at all. Just clean sweet spring air. God, I love this bike!
    My seventh Harley and by all measures important to me, my favorite!
  17. Pabst

Pabst Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Crap, I knew I shouldn't have done it, test rode one today four about an hour, big change from wrestling the RK around, way less of a chore. Thinking I rarely go more than a couple hundred miles anyway. Sport Glide handles really well, huge weight difference. Talk me out of it.

IMG_6337.JPG
    Traxx, rc51owner, Philthy64 and 7 others like this.
  18. HuntWhenever

Oddometer:
    For a mid-range solo tourer and/or daily commuter, there's not much I can say to talk you out of it.
    Traxx, Chillis and Pabst like this.
  19. BarKnee

BarKnee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did a bunch of 600 mile days with nothing but a seat swap, had fun on the best twisty roads in the PNW, and got admiring looks from lovely ladies everywhere I went. Does that help?
    Traxx, marshrat, Chillis and 2 others like this.
  20. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Uhm....errrrr...........nevermind.
    Traxx and Pabst like this.