FLSB Sport Glide mods

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by alpina, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    I continue to go back and forth on this.

The weight isn't an issue to me other than an annoyance. Still I wouldn't mind shedding a bit.

But the sheer mass is more than I need and it takes up precious garage space (I currently have to store one bike next to the lift in order to make it all work).

I'm, not sure this would be small "enough" to completely fix that mass thing, but I really think it is more "right" sized - more Goldilocks for me.

Then I think how much more I would have to spend to get less:

* No dual discs remains my biggest pet peeve (and I'm assuming not linked, no RDRS etc).
    * No crash bars
    * No passing lamps/driving lights
    * Smaller fuel tank
    * Smaller windshield
    * Smaller bags
    * I can't stand true forwards, so I'd need to switch to floorboards and make some changes

Maybe it's a little disingenuous bitching about a smaller bike and it having fewer accessories when one of the things I REALLY like about it is that it weighs a little more than 100# less than the king. I guess you gotta trade something. I could live with the smaller tank, bags, and even shield (or modify).

But what chaps my ass the most is I'd have to spend MORE for it and I'd still be stuck with a single disc.

As much as I like it, and I REALLY DO LIKE IT, I don't think I can give up all that for one.

But if those things don't matter to you, then I can't talk you out of it.
    Traxx and Pabst like this.
  2. relayer4u

relayer4u Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The white ones look really great this year.

Sport Glide.jpg
    Traxx, rc51owner, alpina and 8 others like this.
  3. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like the dual discs & wheels on the Lowrider S. How about a Lowrider ST with those awsome clam shell hard bags? Can they be easily added to the Lowrider?
    Traxx and HuntWhenever like this.
  4. shupe

shupe Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a good analysis of the Softail/Touring choice.
    For me, the drawbacks with the Sportglide is the peg location and the skimpy fairing, and seat.
    We'll have to agree to disagree about the dual disks. Aside from a track bike, I don't think duals are necessary, especially on a bike 100 lbs lighter. And I ride a Dyna with dual disks, and have owned and ridden others with single disk, but that's just me.
    I guess I'm still waiting for H-D to bring out the right Softail model for me.
    Traxx, Chillis and HuntWhenever like this.
  5. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    I freely admit I've got a bit of a dual-disc fetish and I'll take duals whenever I can get them. I have owned a plenty of both configurations, and a few in both single and dual formats (either same bike converted or two of the same platform).

That said, how much time have you spent on an late-model RK with the linked dual-brembos? If you haven't give it a try sometime. They stop that 800#+ beast like our Ducati Monster.

The Sport Glide stops well like most of the new Softails, but I prefer the look/feel/performance of the Fat Bob when it comes to brakes.

I live with a single 4-pot brembo on the front of each or our Guzzis, but they are both in the low 400# range, not 700# range.

Hell, I lived with a single 4-pot brembo on the front of my Guzzi Jackal for ~40k miles. Damn thing stopped "ok" but it ATE brake pads as quickly as tires.

So for me it's not about track days, it's about day in and day out usage, enjoyment, and stopping power WHEN you need it.

But I don't begrudge someone else's tastes or priorities.
    Traxx and HuntWhenever like this.
  6. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wondered a bit if the Sport Glide's single disk would be sufficient when I bought the thing but after almost 3 years of hammering it in the east TN western NC hills I've no complaints. My first Harley after 50 years of riding and I flat love it . . .
    Traxx, marshrat, Chillis and 4 others like this.
  7. HuntWhenever

HuntWhenever Motorcicle Commuter

Oddometer:
    We must have got ours about the same time. Mine will be three years old come November.
    Traxx, Chillis and staticPort like this.
  8. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    My 3rd anniversary will be in August; still surprised by what a good motorcycle it is, and how much I enjoy riding it.
  9. villageidiot

villageidiot Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    yea, but they’re $3000 to buy all the parts as they are not offered in the p&a catalog
    Traxx and Night Ryder like this.
  10. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe some Givi or Shad bags then!
    Traxx likes this.
  11. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    I've seen FXDP defender bags (police style dyna bags) on the soft tails.... its not bad.
    Traxx and Oilhed like this.
  12. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    It's not about issues.

Though I would take issue with the subjective use of "damn well".

Said no one ever a decade or longer ago.

But yes, at least they have been improving. It's good to see.

And now they've officially spoiled me and I no longer wish to accept mediocrity.
    Traxx likes this.
  13. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    Why you taking it so personal?

I'm not missing anything and it's not a sermon, I'm just talking about my experiences that have led to MY preferences.

I am also not saying your preferences are wrong FOR YOU.

I'm just saying that the brakes on the single disc Softails don't rise to the level of "great" for me.

I agree the brakes on the late-model Softails are SURPRISINGLY capable. Much better than they have been in the past (and I've dealt with decades of less than great brakes on Harleys).

I'm just saying that now I'm spoiled by the EVEN BETTER brakes they are using on the touring platform and wish they would use them on the Softails.

I mean, they have a couple of "sporting" models with duals, why can't they at least put the duals on the touring Softails TOO?!? Even if that means no RDRD/linking.

That's the biggest thing holding me back from a Softail.

Which is amazing because I HATED the Softail platform with a vengeance a couple of decades ago. So :thumbup to Harley... don't stop now, keep it up!
    Traxx, HuntWhenever and Chillis like this.
  14. villageidiot

Oddometer:

i wish harley took the softail line-up and had a "build a bike" program, where you could pick your "bike", engine size, brakes/wheels, color, etc. since most of that range of bike will swap between one another, i think it would allow them to take that market data and build bikes based off what the customers ordered.

which we all know, would be.....

Low rider S(in nicer colors), sport glide bags, floor boards, 114" motor.
    Traxx, relayer4u, Oilhed and 4 others like this.
  15. Kevm

Kevm Eternal Optimist

Oddometer:
    That's fair. :wave

And to be, fair, that is, I have been pretty honest that I'm talking about my preferences.

I don't think just my words are gonna stop anyone, but it gives them something to consider when they take a demo ride right?

And honestly, much of my words are the song of my own personal lament with which I still struggle, because I really wouldn't mind a slightly smaller Harley again.
    Traxx, villageidiot and Chillis like this.
  16. Ogre_fl

Ogre_fl Long timer

Oddometer:
    The bars didn't bug me as much as the Gyno exam mid controls on the Lowrider S.
    The ergos on that bike just suck for me.
    I typically don't care for forwards but they work on the Softails.
    Traxx and Chillis like this.
  17. BarKnee

BarKnee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Low Rider S was the bike that got me shopping in the HD store. They had one which was already sold but I sat on it and decided the mids would work for me as long as there were passenger pegs to use as position changers. While wandering around the Sport Glide caught my eye, the hard luggage especially. I wanted those bags on the LRS, but taillights and exhaust would need fiddling at a minimum. I liked the inverted forks of the SG but wasn't sure about the single disc, of course the salesman tricked me into a test ride. I was mostly dazzled by the awesome 107 and became convinced that dual discs weren't really necessary. Slapped down the plastic and rode it home.

I really like the new color for the Low Rider this year:raabia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Traxx, Oilhed, Chillis and 3 others like this.
  18. villageidiot

Oddometer:
    should have the full length rear fender IMO. but otherwise, :rayof
    Traxx likes this.