Fluid Extractors ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ozmoses, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Schnurbart

Schnurbart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's great, unless your vehicle doesn't have a dipstick.
    racer1735 likes this.
  2. Beemeup

Beemeup 1978 R100/7

Oddometer:
    No dipstick? How do you check the oil?
  3. Schnurbart

Schnurbart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Car does it for you. X3 BMW
  4. Beemeup

Beemeup 1978 R100/7

Oddometer:
    I wouldn't like that. I want to eyeball the oil level and see the oil. Das ist schtupid!
    spokester and TripleTriples like this.
  5. boardrider247

boardrider247 Weekend Anarchist

Oddometer:
    Having had both a topsider and a pela I much prefer the pela. The clear flexible tube that came with the topsider always wanted to collapse and significantly slowed the rate of extraction. The stiffer dip tube which came with the pela was more better.
  6. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Dont buy a newer vehicle, they are eliminating things like that. Our Ford Transit does not have a traditional dipstick for the transmission. If we want to check it, we have to crawl under the van. Remove a cover to access a small dipstick.
  7. Carlisja

Carlisja A wandering soul. Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    In some vehicles it removed more oil than using the drain plug. In others it removes the same. I am sure there are one vehicles that it removes less but I have not discovered one (requires two oil changes to test).

as for time, only 5-10 minutes to suck all he oil out. Yes, the suction tube goes through the dipstick.
  8. Beemeup

Beemeup 1978 R100/7

Oddometer:
    I have a 2016 Ford and it has an engine dipstick. Trannies I can understand, I've never had one that lost oil or needed changing very often.
  9. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As does the Porsche Cayman.
  10. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd be worried about sludge buildup in the pan.
  11. PunkinHead

PunkinHead Moobless Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Why? Unless your car is from 1972 sludge isn't a thing with regular oil changes. If your engine is going to sludge up then it's a shitty design and will sludge up regardless of whether you remove the oil from the top or the bottom. Besides which, it's easier to do an oil change on a hot engine with an extractor because you're not going to have boiling oil poured over your hand. That means any contaminants are going to be more in suspension than on a cold engine.

The first time I use an extractor on a vehicle I pull the drain plug afterwards to see how much it got. I've never had more than a teaspoon come out. If you're OCD about it then pull the drain after using the extractor at every oil change. Since the bulk of the oil has been removed you'll only get a few drops rather than a waterfall splashing on your hand and all over your garage floor.

Unfortunately they don't work on every vehicle - a few cars have dipsticks that are too small of a diameter for the extractor tube.
  12. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. PunkinHead

Oddometer:
  14. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Toyota didn't admit fault, but replaced some engines. I think BMW had some trouble, too, but that wasn't in this article.

Using the drain plug, the flowing oil helps drag any trash out of the pan.
    PeterTrocewicz likes this.
  15. Beemeup

Beemeup 1978 R100/7

Oddometer:
    Well, that's a good point. Anyone that has drained oil has seen residue come out. On the other hand if it's much easier one could do it more frequently an minimize the sludge.
  16. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    If the oil is changed while the oil is hot and contamination is suspended in the oil, if sludge remains, why does it matter? If the sludge did not break loose with the hot oil, it should stay in place. Even if it breaks loose, it would go through the pickup screen, the pump and then the oil filter, before reaching any vital component.
  17. Beemeup

Beemeup 1978 R100/7

Oddometer:
    I think the point is that gravity makes the oil drain while taking some sludge with it as it's running down the surfaces. I've seen it. So some sludge is suspended in the oil. The filter is another point. You still gotta go underneath for that.
  18. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a west marine electric one for the boat. It worked great for a year then crapped out. I’m now using a mitivac hand pump unit. Works great but the container is a little small at 8-9qts for some things. My Land Rover has a port for sucking the oil out, super fast and easy. Also use it down the dipstick tube on the wife’s diesel Jeep.
  19. PunkinHead

Oddometer:
    My strategy is to not own engines that sludge up. If there's sludge in the oil pan then there's sludge under the valve cover and in the oil galleries. If you think the drop and a half that comes out the plug after you use an extractor makes a difference, well, good luck with that.
    Yinzer Moto and victor441 like this.
  20. Johann

Johann Commuterous Tankslapperous

Oddometer:
    Used one of these for years on a boat, for everything from dealing with plumbing disasters, cleaning out bilges and doing oil changes, absolutely brilliant piece of kit, couldn´t imagine living without one on a boat. On engines always had a seperate brass pump fitted to the sump with a handle and an inline valve as there was no way any human being could access the sumps given how tight space was. Used it for gearbox oil changes where that wasn´t an option. It isn´t exactly a complicated design, I´m sure a lot of the knockoffs are just as good, but I had good success with Pela.
    victor441 likes this.