1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Fluid Extractors ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ozmoses, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Coma

Coma Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sludge is not really a problem with modern engines and synthetic oil, unless it been 10’s of thousands since your last one. If you have an engine with sludge issues then underneath you go. There more I read here the more I like the idea. Although if I get a Quickjack then I could probably live with out it.....

That’s tool whore logic for sure, but I like it.
  2. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
  3. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used a fluid extractor in my boat for 15 years. It had a 90 degree fitting about 0.000001" off the bottom of the boat rather than a drain plug and a tube up the front of the engine. As nearly as I could tell from peeking under the valve covers, that engine was spotless inside despite a very hard working life. No car engine works as hard as a boat engine unless you are towing a heavy trailer uphill every mile of every drive.
    showkey and JimVonBaden like this.
  4. showkey

showkey Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mercedes and many other manufacturers have used the extraction oil system for over 10 years In dealer service.
    It‘s fast, simple, no lift, no drain plug, filter is serviced from the top, 100% of the oil is removed.

Some manufacturers design the dip stick tube to be used with an extractor.

Good or bad news........but.......In the future we likely see the drain plugs disappear. Se the thread about plastic pans and plastic drain plugs. Same with metal oil filter witha change to element style filters. Oil filter in land fills are a concern.......element style are more friendly to recycled waste.

As mentioned: Extraction oil changes are not new.........common on inboard boats for 70 years or more.

I have used an extraction device for my RV for 10 years. Checked the drain plug after sucking it dry.......not a drop of oil came out. 13 qts of HOT oil in minutes with no mess. The common method is a stiff nylon tube down the dip stick tube, but the technique varies with manufacturers and models. Most are air powered vacuum pump, electric and hand pumps are common just not in a dealer. Those boats used a drill powered pump.

Obviously this is not DIY system..........Link Mercedes dealer system:

Mercedes Benz Dealers

www.oilchangesystems.com
  5. lkraus

lkraus Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys got me all excited about a cool tool that I don't have yet. :clap

Then I realized that I still have to put the car on jack stands and crawl under to change the filter, and I usually rotate tires and check brake pads while the oil is draining. So, maybe a little less mess, but not much advantage to be gained from getting an extractor. :2cry
  6. Beemeup

Beemeup 1978 R100/7

Oddometer:
    Same here, gotta go downstairs for the filter anyway. But it helps to have a floor jack and jack stands. Cordless impact driver makes short work of the panel.
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    True, extraction is only worth it if you have easy filter access, usually from the top. My last three cars are top filter cars.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  8. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    True on that for my cars as I do need to use ramps to change the oil filters anyway...but an extractor still worth it IMHO as there is less mess fooling around with a drain pan, getting scalded by hot oil when I pull the drain plug, no new gasket or crush ring required etc. Also generally rotate tires and check brakes at that time too but use two floor jacks on one side at a time and don't need to bother with jack stands since I'm not getting under the car.
  9. Beemeup

Beemeup 1978 R100/7

Oddometer:
    So you're no longer a teenager? I don't believe it. You still have the smug thing down pat.
    AZbiker likes this.
  10. Beemeup

Beemeup 1978 R100/7

Oddometer:
    You need ramps to change the filters but you don't go underneath?
  11. tvpierce

tvpierce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's also handy for many other applications. ATF change: some don't even have drain plugs anymore -- and those that do are generally countersunk so they leave fluid and sediment in the pan. Power steering reservoir evacuation. Brake master cylinder evacuation. Lawn mower oil change. Fuel extraction from any vehicle. The list goes on.
    ozmoses likes this.
  12. victor441

victor441 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still go underneath to change oil filters and use ramps for that...but do not when rotating tires so I don’t bother with jack stands then. I only rotate front to back so two floor jacks make that easy.
  13. Beemeup

Beemeup 1978 R100/7

Oddometer:
    I could have used one when doing the F150 tranny fluid change. No drain plug. What a mess. I did replace it with a drain plug pan because there's a filter that needed a changin.
  14. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can do the oil and filter on both of our cars without lifting them or removing the splash pans.
    ozmoses likes this.
  15. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oil filter is on top with our 4th gen 4Runner. It even has a ring that catches oil since the filter is vertical. It is the easiest to service vehicle I ever owned.

Then Toyota took a big step backward with our 5th gen 4Runner. That one has a cartridge filter under the engine covered by a skidplate. :fpalm
    AZbiker and silverbandit1 like this.
  16. Coma

Coma Long timer

Oddometer:
    Our 2019 Highlander has a filter cartridge easy to reach but you have to use a straw tube to drain the cartridge. One more step......
  17. Beemeup

Beemeup 1978 R100/7

Oddometer:
    The dealers were losing too much money. :1drink
  18. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I have a fantastic idea for the both of you. Put each other on ignore or a moderator will.
    ydarg likes this.
  19. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Both decided this wasn't an option for them. So, forced ignore it is.
    JimVonBaden and ydarg like this.
  20. silverbandit1

silverbandit1 Adventure Dreaming..

Oddometer:
    My Tacoma is easy peasy

The Wife's 4Runner is a PIA :bash