1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Fluid Extractors ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ozmoses, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is weird to look under the hood of my 07 4Runner. It is the cleanest, best laid out, easiest to work on modern car I ever owned. Why Toyota made the next generation more difficult when they made the whole vehicle larger and had more real estate to work with is a mystery to me.

But I do like that I finally fit in our 2014 4Runner. It is the first Toyota truck or 4Runner I have owned that is sized for Murican height and doesn't place my ass down on the floor pan. So, maybe they used the extra room to finally fit me in the damned thing. Now, if they could just built a seat like Ford....
    boardrider247 likes this.
  2. tvpierce

tvpierce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's waste oil/fluid. Why clean it?
  3. tvpierce

tvpierce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I guess I'm in the minority... because I really like cartridge filters. I like that I can just let it sit on the top of my oil drain pan and all the oil drains out. But what I really like is that instead of a cheap disposable bypass valve that get's thrown out with every filter, I have a quality bypass valve that stays with the car. The whole idea of a canister filter is just doesn't make sense to me.:dunno
  4. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm OK with a cartridge system itself. Just not located under the engine and covered by a skidplate. This location is perfect......

77286664.jpg
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  5. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Embraer.
  6. PeterTrocewicz

PeterTrocewicz Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 2012 Equinox has a cartridge filter on the top which should be fine, but, the idiots have put it where its buried under and surrounded by plumbing and wiring and it has a plastic cap. The only tool I have that will work on it (if I don't want to cut up a perfectly good wrench) is a 6" adjustable, and with that I can only get a 1/8-1/4 turn, if I angle the wrench up and down as I turn it and flip the wrench over with each turn. Always good for skinned knuckles. Every time I change the oil I pray that this isn't the time that the plastic hex doesn't round off.
  7. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    "arbitrary and capricious"? No, that's not the case.
    AZbiker likes this.
  8. gonerydin

gonerydin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Toyota got rid of most transmission dipsticks more than a decade ago.
  9. ian408

ian408 Administrator Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    They're actually designed to be filled/serviced using a machine. It's crazy that if you want to diy, you have to drain three quarts, fill it, drive it, drain it. Repeat.
    The dealer charges 2-300 bucks to do the fluid service. Crazy.
  10. gonerydin

gonerydin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 08 Accord was the same. I just changed out 3 qts of atf every 30k miles and never had a problem in 10 years. Sold it to a kid who drives it like a taxi. At least it did have a dipstick.
  11. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a dipstick. What I do for fluid changes is unhook the cooler return and divert that to a bucket, then dump in fresh fluid with the engine running. After clean fluid starts coming out, I shut the engine off, reconnect the line, then start it again to check the level.
    ian408 and Coma like this.
  12. Coma

Coma Long timer

Oddometer:
    The one I have with no dipstick has the fill point behind the driver side inner fender. You have to take off the wheel to access it. Then you use a straw to let it drain to level. At exactly the right temperature.

I'm thinking $300 is cheap enough to not go through the goat roping exercise.
  13. troidus

troidus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Then you have to hope they actually do the work.
    AZbiker, Coma and Carlisja like this.