Fly and Ride tour of the US - SW route advice

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Dahveed, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    I recently had the good fortune of meeting an inmate (@dcwilcox) here that was slowly touring the country as his schedule allowed. He rode his bike from FL and stores it in a storage container and flew home. Every so often (2 or 3 times a year) he flies in and gets the bike and rides it around, then parks it and flies home. While there are a fair number of people that do this, meeting him got me thinking. My schedule constraints means I usually can only travel 6 days at a time. So 3 days out and back. Unless you're slabbing, you're not gonna get too far. Being self-employed, I can usually get away 4-6 weeks a year (if I watch my money) but seldom more than the 6 days at a stretch.

So I've decided on the fly and ride thing leaving from the Dallas/Fort Worth, TX area after Christmas this year. But I need help in routing. I'm planning on heading West from here and visiting some of the desert regions while they're still cool. I've ridden a lot in New Mexico, so my sights are on further west. Can't be too cold or snowy, which rules out a lot of the mountain areas and pretty much keeps me in the southern half of Utah. Destination for this first leg might be Las Vegas or Southern California. I'd want to know the destination before I left so I could make all the arrangements before hand.

Thoughts?
  2. Dirty bike

Dirty bike Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can fly into Vegas and head up to St George, find a reasonable hotel for a base camp, then explore Zion for a day or two. Ride up from Santa Clara to Veyo for pie on Old Hwy 91. Option after that is to ride over to Kanab, (old western movie area), or down to Lake Mead and explore some of the places like Overton, Valley of Fire State Park and poking around the lake. Out of Vegas in the other direction you could reach Death Valley via Pahrump or farther like Calico ghost town, or closer to Vegas, Blue Diamond or Mt Charleston areas.
    knight, Migolito and Dahveed like this.
  3. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    Renting a MC or using the other guys bike?
  4. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Come on out and ride Death Valley, Anza Borrego, southern Utah etc. Keep in mind DV just got snowed in..it happens. Ofcourse, there is Baja.
    Dahveed likes this.
  5. Migolito

Migolito Prognosticator and MotoYogi

Oddometer:
    Or, join us at the NooBs rally..look in Rally thread. It's in DV in March.
  6. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    I'm riding my bike from the DFW area (my home) on this trip. Probably the first storage location will be in Las Vegas.
  7. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, snow in DV. The March timeframe might work, I'll check for the exact dates.