Fly & ride question

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by wb57, Aug 12, 2018.

1. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never done a fly and ride purchase, but looking at a potential one now. Don't know if I'm overlooking something obvious, but what do you do about getting a plate on a bike to get it home if it's out of state? Does the seller let you use his plate until you get it back home? Do you pay for in advance of seeing it, get the paperwork, go to the DMV and get your plate before flying out? Do you ride it back with all the proper paperwork, but no plate? Am I missing something?
  2. VX Rider

VX Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Totally spit balling here...

If the plate is current, I see no issue with riding home on ot, given you have insurance.
    If it isnt, I see potential problems.

That being said, it would be reasonable to go to the dmv with seller and transfer title and get a temporary plate (paper tag),
    Put it in a big zip lock and tape it onto the bike. And ride it home.
    wb57 likes this.
  3. AwDang

AwDang Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Depends on where your buying it and the seller.
    Some states require temp tags at time of sale. Some sellers are cool with returning their tag. I’ve done the no tag, but all the paperwork and insurance in hand method without issue.
    wb57 likes this.
  4. wb57

wb57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in NC and the seller is in TN. I'll check the TN DMV website. I know the no tag, but all proper paperwork is legal in NC, but don't know about elsewhere.
    Thanks.
  5. dino1

dino1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just did a fly and ride and the PO did not want me riding home on his plate due to $180 in tolls he had to pay due to some douche that ran them up on his tag.
    So first thing I did was get insurance on the bike then I went to my tax office and got a 30 day temporary tag.
    Flew up with the tag and proof of insurance and rode her home.
    neanderthal and wb57 like this.
  6. chtucker

chtucker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got back yesterday from my flyNRide. I had to go through UT, ID, OR and WA. I bought a Washigton 3 day transport tag. I have no isea if it was legal in the other states. I couldn’t get a 30 day tag on a bike that I had not completed the sale on and I wasn’t willing to send money without a title being handed to me.

I had insurance, the title, bill of sale and in the end the seller let me ride on his plates. I can completely understand if he didn’t though. I let someone drive away on my car plates and 3 months later they had $1400 in parking tickets.

A fly n ride takes a little trust. If you want to get title before you fly you can use Escrow.com to protect both the seller and buyer. In the end, I didn’t use escrow. I did give a $500 deposit via Paypal as a good faith show of intent.

Look into your states DMV, talk to the seller. I cannot see anyone giving you trouble if you made an effort (insurance, transfer of ownership and some sort of temp tag.

I saved a bunch of $$, 4 tanks of gas, $100 plane ticket and two nights in hotels.
    wb57 likes this.
  7. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    I am doing a fly and ride in 2 days...flying out to Madison, Wisconsin, the dealer will pick me up at my hotel, take me to Vetesnik Power Sports in Richland Center, WI, and I will ride the bike back to Washington State.

Because I am paying cash for the bike...Goldwing 1800...they will simply attach a "trip permit" onto the back of the bike, which allows me X number of days to get back home, where I will immediately go to DOL in Washington, pay all the fees and taxes for the bike, and it will be titled and plated in Washington State.

I already have purchased Insurance on the bike...paperwork in hand, so that is the process I am used to.

Get a temporary Trip Permit, and ride the bike from TN to NC...and you should be good.
    wb57 likes this.
  8. chtucker

chtucker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just curious, how many days? Thats over 2000 miles from Madison to Seattle. I did 900 in 2.5 days including my flight and 2 hour shuttle bus from the airport to the sellers town
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  9. Hi-De-Ho

Hi-De-Ho Mad Scientist

Oddometer:
    It will be aprox. 1900 miles, depending on the route I choose, and will take me 33 hours.

I've been a member of the IBA for 34 years. :-)
    wb57, 413Sean and slacker1965 like this.
  10. slacker1965

slacker1965 .....no matter where you go......

Oddometer:
    Please report what you find out....... In NC you USED to be able to run your old tag(if you had one) for 30 days, but I'm pretty sure that changed. I do know that my insurance will bind you for coverage, you do have to call with the VIN, I'd get them to email me or fax a document. Get a bill of sale. I do know that in NC the big ticket is for no insurance(inc no proof), the other is a registration violation ~200 if you get that cop or are doing something stupid or get in a wreck. We run antique cars around all the time without a current tag & have asked a Charlotte officer what the risk is. In Va they can impound your car. Interested in Tn. I have delivered a vehicle fm Az to NC, Az DMV had trip permits avail. NCDMV is a real PITA to deal with, be interesting to see how Tn is.
    Good luck, be safe :gyro
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  11. Bucho

Bucho DAMNrider

Oddometer:
    I havnt had a big street bike for a few years (smaller dualsports and dirtbikes), but Id like another sport/adv tourer someday. I honestly want to find a great bike on the opposite coast just so I can do a fly&ride
    wb57 and Hi-De-Ho like this.
  12. AwDang

AwDang Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I highly recomend this idea!
    IBA270, DOGSROOT, 413Sean and 2 others like this.
  13. IBA270

IBA270 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just did this a few months ago; bought an '01GS in Redding, CA and rode home over two days back to Dallas. I didn't even check the rules...so maybe don't exactly follow my advice; the seller left the tags, I got a copy of a "bill of sale" we both signed, and of course I had the title. I wouldn't sweat that too much. Just make sure you insure it before hand. I did the same thing however; there were comparable local bikes, but heck...this one was 2,000 miles away!! :clap
  14. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Here in California, the plate stays with the vehicle throughout its lifetime. You buy the bike with current tags, hopefully, and just ride it home. You pay to have the title changed over, and then when the registration comes due again.

To avoid scams, the best bet is to go to a DMV with the seller and transfer the title right there. They will give you whatever paperwork you need.

Oh, and don't forget to call your insurance company before you ride it home.
  15. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    In Canada we have 2 weeks to use our old plate before we need to transfer it, (provided the old machine has been demolished, sold or is not useable) I flew to New York, slapped the plate on my new bike, rode it home. No problems even when I got pulled over for speeding or during the border crossing. I did have insurance on the new bike and documents to prove it.
    Hi-De-Ho likes this.
  16. rockitcity

rockitcity Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just an add to Ca law that may apply to others...

When you purchase a vehicle in California, the seller fills out a "Release of Liability" form that has the purchase price and mileage of the vehicle sold. This has to match the bill of sale given to the buyer. The seller is protected from any infringements the new buyer may commit before registering the vehicle in his name. But any past due registration or fines are buyer's responsibility, so check first!
    IBA270 and wb57 like this.
  17. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jump on it and ride home ready to explain your cool story of finding your dream bike to the man or...

Application for Temporary Operation Permit - Tennessee Department ...

"Out-of-State Resident/Transport. Must provide properly reassigned title, dealer’s invoice, or notarized bill of sale and proper identification. Please provide details below"

"Applicants must provide proper identification, supporting documentation and payment of the $10.00 fee to receive the temporary operation permit."

Google is a wonderful thing!
  18. ZappBranigan

ZappBranigan Still Riding

Oddometer:
    It may be better to check with the state in which the bike will be registered rather than the one where it is being purchased.

Here in CO plates are specific to the owner, not to the vehicle. If selling a vehicle in CO, ALWAYS remove the plate. CO state law allows anyone who purchases a vehicle from a private seller a period of up to 72 hours to drive the vehicle from the place of purchase to the place where it will be stored without a plate. All you need is a Bill of Sale and proof of insurance.

I drafted a sample BoS with that statute printed right on it. and that's what I use when buying or selling a vehicle.

For longer trips, I'd find out if it's possible to get a temporary tag in your own state. You should just need the bikes make, model, color and VIN. Otherwise, it may be more practical to get a temp tag in the state where you're buying it. If you're financing, that adds a complication as you will not be in possession of the title.
  19. theforthstooge

theforthstooge Doin good for a burnt out shell of a Man

Oddometer:
    Last one I did while I was putting on the highway seat I had brought with me the seller aired up the tires. 1200 miles later at home a tp recheck showed 65psi!!!WTF Check them yourself
    Bucho and wb57 like this.
  20. BC61

BC61 Long timer

Oddometer:
    NC does not offer any kind of temp tag for a vehicle that isn't titled to you so no way to get a tag without getting to the DMV first.

The transaction is taking place in TN and they offer a Temporary Operation Permit just for this type of circumstance, giving an out of state purchaser a plate to get home on.
    wb57 likes this.