Flying to Ethiopia today

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Sideoff, Jan 18, 2019.

1. black 8

black 8 coddiwompling motographer

Oddometer:
    First of all Thank You for taking us on this incredible journey.

I say this b/c writing live ride reports is both a blessing and curse; blessing in that it endows this great community with a wealth of knowledge that inspires us for our own adventures... conversely it's a curse after a long day's ride and all you want to do is get the bike ready for the next day, get cleaned up, eat, and finally get some rest - however, you still need to publish updates to the ride report.

For us, it's like our daily drug fix of living vicariously through your adventures... to this I say WELL DONE...

:beer
  2. Moto Vaquero

Moto Vaquero Trail less traveled

Oddometer:
    That was very enjoyable and interesting guys. You two being so candid makes all the difference :thumb
    We'll "see" you in Africa next year!
    Sideoff and easyrider11 like this.
  3. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a fabulous trip! I’m looking forward to hearing about the next one. Are you two coming to the Noobs Rally this year?
  4. Inna

Inna Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What an incredible adventure! Thanks for the inspiration, guys. Loved your photos and insightful commentary. Ashley, one tough cookie!
  5. Sideoff

Sideoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wish we could be there. We have a date conflict with another event back east this year, unfortunately. Hopefully next year.
    Little Bike likes this.
  6. IronButt70

IronButt70 You don't have to be crazy to do this but it helps

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the RR. Nothing short of EPIC. :clap
    Sideoff likes this.
  7. Boxerbreath

Boxerbreath 2017.5 GS Black Storm

Oddometer:
    Stunning photos guys. Glad you made it back safe. You are a brave couple.
    Sideoff likes this.
  8. liv2day

liv2day Life is about how you handle Plan B Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hell yeah :clap :thumb

Just caught up, so glad @easyrider11 wasn't hurt worse. I did that once when a SUV hit the brakes and stopped far faster than I could on knobs on cold asphalt...didn't feel good hitting the pavement.

One seriously awesome trip report @Sideoff & @easyrider11, thanks for taking the time to capture your adventure. Hope the snow wasn't too much of a shock, can't believe how much you guys have out in the Gorge - nothing out by us.

Looking forward to following along when to be continued changes to happening now :nod :nod
    easyrider11 and Sideoff like this.
  9. Wildebeest90210

Wildebeest90210 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you both again for taking us on this trip, I have never enjoyed an ADV or any on-line trip so much. Please let us know you are home safe, wherever that may be. I've followed the whole trip but I do love this last picture along with the story. Many thanks.....:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

wKZpH6th.jpg
    easyrider11, Sideoff, rrtips and 2 others like this.
  10. Edelweys

Edelweys DOM undercover

Oddometer:
    epic... Good for you guys!
    easyrider11, Espsanto and Sideoff like this.
  11. lqgsrider

lqgsrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for posting
    Good RR
  12. Rixrider

Rixrider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow!
    I know how hard you guys work making Mosko happen, so we shouldn't be surprised that you work at least as hard having fun and making the best of life in really creative ways. So happy to know that with the hardships, inconveniences and crash and health challenges along the way, that all's well w you guys. Smart (well prepared), Tuff, and Resilient! Congrats and thanks for All the inspiration!
    RS
  13. Mr.T4242

Mr.T4242 n00b

Oddometer:
    So glad you shared this ride. It's brightened my perspective. Hope to see you in 2019! Say thanks in person
  14. MotoCouch

MotoCouch That looks rideable.....

Oddometer:
    Had missed this one until now and just read all 11 pages in one sitting. F'ing awesome story and pictures! I have traveled a fair bit, but your willingness to in such a pure/raw/open way is amazing. Thanks for sharing.
  15. eanth

eanth We're all connected.

Oddometer:
    That's a great post, Sideoff. The problem, as I see it, is that we bring with us our preconceived imaginary idea of what the exotic ought to be when we travel off the grid to far away lands. We expect Africa to be the image we've created for it in our minds. We expect Africa to be locked in time; we expect it to be culturally static, what anthropology calls the "ethnographic present."

Your post also brings to mind the personal battle that we as travelers confront which is the duel between ethnocentrism and cultural relativism. This is, for the most part, deeply personal: short of murder, female genital mutilation, and the abuse toward women you and Ash have described, there is no "one size fits all" solution. Toward that end, however, I encourage my students to explore the world not as tourists, but as travelers. Seems you and Ash go by the same rule.

Fantastic RR. Cheers! Ethiopia has long been on my mind for travel. I'd especially like to visit the Gamo Highlands.
    OR_Rider, outbacktm and Sideoff like this.
  16. elron

elron Still Standing Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great read & fotos, this rr. Just started and finished following the link via your Mosko newsletter. Appreciated your keeping it real and keeping your open-mindedness in tact. Learned more about you as folks via this rr than all the time I've followed.. since Mosko beginnings via ADVRider. I purchased one of your very first sets...BC 40 and the BC panniers ala pre-order when you began. Circumstances (life and health) have waylaid me the last few years and believe it or not my original purchase is still completely brand new in plastic and unused. I'm now at this late/later stage gonna be able to start back in. Know you've made several upgrades/improvements since the initial run..will need to see if I should do some upgrading...remember something about changing attachment hardware(pucks?) due to wear experienced and a few other things. I'll check in with ya on your vendor forum. Again thanks for the great rr and perspectives.
    OR_Rider, easyrider11 and Sideoff like this.
  17. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    No wonder you guys make such good stuff...real-world testing! :beer
  18. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    unlikely i'll ever see Ethiopia, only through your unbiased reporting the closest i will ever experience the place and people. i had their food at a restaurant in DC, but i'm pretty sure it's a luxury for the local people.

awesome trip.

we'll miss you both at the noobs....:cry
  19. jowul

jowul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I could not agree more with the "assessment" you gave about tourism in many areas. You don't have to go so far to witness the same in remote village of Haiti. Your photographic documentation is fantastic and, although you can see some reticence in the faces and body language of some of the ladies you photographed, you were probably better tolerated since you are practicing full immersion and, at least for a short while, live like the locals. Thanks for a great report.
  20. HydroDog

HydroDog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was a great read!! Thanks so much for taking the time to post.
    Now to go out and pack some string for flat repairs and give my Mosko duffel a hug.
    Sideoff likes this.