Flying to Ethiopia today

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Sideoff, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Sideoff

Sideoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow thanks for all the nice & thoughtful comments everyone! It was a pleasure to write the report and we seriously cannot wait to get back over there and continue the trip!
    jowul and RedDogAlberta like this.
  2. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ready to be inspired! :beer and yes, I want the Nomad tank bag...just can't afford it yet!

[​IMG]
    Dracula, black 8 and Sideoff like this.
  3. cjmadura

cjmadura Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    THAT........was a great read.
    Thank you so much for the adventure, as well as my excellent Mosko Gear.
    I enjoyed meeting you both at the Touratech Rally in Plain 2 years ago.
    While touring Africa on a motorbike is out of my wheelhouse, I look forward to sharing the wonders of that continent vicariously through your travels.
    Welcome back home.
    Sideoff likes this.
  4. RiderDrew

RiderDrew n00b

Oddometer:
    I just stayed up way too late reading from start to finish. Thanks so much for sharing and your honesty. It's almost exactly one year ago our family was in Ethiopia. Great memories refreshed by your story. We went to visit family of our 2 adopted daughters in Adama and also did the tourist thing in the north. We flew from place to place but i kept staring out the window, dreaming of riding the terrain below. My one daughter likes her Crf80, who knows, maybe one she and i can retrace your route.
    Sideoff likes this.
  5. a100man

a100man Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Fair play, much respect and appreciation of the write-up. The environment looks challenging, yet rewarding.. Cheers.
    Sideoff likes this.
  6. Drybones

Drybones Fish bones are on my truck seat cover, too

Oddometer:
  7. chudzikb

chudzikb Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Very well done. Certainly takes some sense of adventure to do a trip like that. Your documentation and story telling were outstanding. My daughter, a rock climber, would have loved going to those churches in the cliffs, no other mortal would enjoy that! Look forward to your next trip to an area I will never go, as we all learn from your efforts.
    Sideoff likes this.
  8. MrBob

MrBob In the Pines. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I very much appreciate your thoughtful views on the cultural differences you encounter. Back in the 70's I was touring remote parts of Mexico on my shiny new Norton and the glaring differences between what I brought with me and what the locals owned prompted me to park my bike under a tarp and take buses or walk to my destinations. That really wasn't the best response because, like you guys, wherever I stopped I drew a crowd and probably broke up the daily grind.
    Ash seems like the perfect travel companion because she get right in amongst them and shows real appreciation. Your photos show a beautiful and resilient people.
    jowul, Sideoff and outbacktm like this.
  9. Sideoff

Sideoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    steved57 and easyrider11 like this.
  10. ROYMACNIC

ROYMACNIC Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What an awesome , inspiring adventure, look forward to reading about your future adventures ,:thumbup
    Sideoff likes this.
  11. MrBob

Oddometer:
    Did you have the right amount of gear - too much - too little?
    Yours is one of a number of stories I've read by riders who purchased smaller bikes for touring in third world countries. This seems like a very good idea on a number of fronts and it would be a plus if it helped reduce the isolation that sometimes comes with motorcycle touring, though your photos seem to show plenty of involvement with the locals.
    Sideoff likes this.
  12. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yes very tragic sent prayers for their families.
    Sideoff likes this.
  13. Sideoff

Sideoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We were spot-on with the gear on this trip. I don't think either one of us had a single item on the trip that we didn't use. Which is unusual. Flying in, buying a bike, and then selling it is my favorite way to do it. We actually just did a presentation on this topic at Rawhyde ADV Days. We're going to do it again in Flagstaff at Overland Expo in May if you're in the neighborhood. Buying/selling usually works best in developing countries, where bikes are cheap and rentals are harder to come by.
  14. MrBob

Oddometer:
    Great planning. After 50 years of touring I still get after myself for packing too much crap.
    Do you sell the bikes in the same countries in which you bought them?
  15. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    i love the idea of buying a bike and leave it there for the next trip.

one in europe (done), one in columbia and one in thailand. inexpensive and affordable as well as easy to dispose.

hearing about the Ethiopian plane crash is sad news. at work, i provide the manufacturing engineering support to the 737max spares product line.
    Mofrid, HandCanonShootr and jays100 like this.
  16. OR_Rider

OR_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantastic RR, thanks for letting us live vicariously through your experiences. If you want to experience Uganda, hit me up and I can connect you with moto friends that moved there from PNW last year.
  17. TheNetworker

TheNetworker Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this fantastic RR and taking us virtually with you on that trip.

It was amazing reading this report from a not so often visited area.
  18. DragonJoe

DragonJoe Don’t know whatcha don’t know

Oddometer:
    Great RR. Especially appreciated the cliff churches.
    Re: the 737 Max crash, I retired after flying all models of the 737 prior to the Max and finished on the B-777, a wonderful airplane. Automation through electronics has long been the trend. Removing direct pilot input is a curse and blessing. In this case, it was a curse. Rest their souls and blessed are yours. Love your equipment. Maybe I can stop by HQ’S after the TAT this summer.
  19. JMB_ADV

JMB_ADV Adventurer

Oddometer:

Here in this screenshot you can see where we are by the location marker. The loop track is just something I made up as a possible route for this trip. The green arrow shows what we’ve done so far. So we have a lot of riding ahead if we’re going to finish the loop, but we’re not married to it. We can always cut if off and make it shorter.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

Is this a Garmin you use
  20. Sideoff

Sideoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is this a Garmin you use[/QUOTE]

It's the Gaia iphone app, which works great. I use it for trail riding at home, dualsport navigation, and international trips. My trusty old garmin gps barely ever comes on trips anymore.
    Bonnie & Clyde likes this.