Flying to Vietnam today

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by easyrider11, Feb 1, 2020.

1. easyrider11

easyrider11 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Sideoff and I are in Seattle waiting to board a plane to Hong Kong as I type - and yes, I am sporting a face mask. Duh!

IMG_1162.jpg

Our trip began a few hours ago as we scurried around Portland gathering last minute supplies and finally, dropped our car off for safe keeping at our friends Joe and Becky’s house - they gave us a ride to the airport, thanks friends!

Here we are at PDX with our pile of gear, about to check in.

IMG_3540.jpg

Our itinerary goes something like this...

PDX>HKG>HANOI

Pretty easy, especially considering we didn’t have tickets, bikes, or any planning for this trip as of 3 weeks ago. In fact, we were prepared for another trip entirely. I guess staying liquid is always good - because yes, plans do change.

Last year, about this same time, @Sideoff and I were flying to Ethiopia. You can check out our 2019 rr here:

https://advrider.com/f/threads/flying-to-ethiopia-today.1361713/

It was an ‘epic ride’ indeed. After our trip last year we kept the bikes in hopes of returning this winter for another ride, we planned to explore a few of the neighboring countries and the far NE corner of Ethiopia, which we didn’t see previously.

We had flights booked Feb 1. As February got closer, the guys holding our bikes - Fistum and Babé - got harder and harder to get ahold of. Then they stopped responding altogether. We don’t know what happened, and at a certain point, (about three weeks before the trip) we decided there wasn’t much more we could do to find out where our bikes might be. Maybe we’ll never know what happened. It stings, but we’ll chalk it up to the exciting and mysterious world of buying and selling motorbikes in other countries.

So! Enter Vietnam. About 3 weeks ago, we pulled the plug on our return trip to Ethiopia, and redirected our flights to Hanoi, Vietnam instead. There we have two Honda XR150s waiting, and 4 weeks free to travel. Vietnam makes it easy: in an hour we had flights booked (free with miles), bikes in Hanoi ($500 apiece for the month), and 30 day multiple-entry visas ($155 apiece).

IMG_1164.jpg

A plane ticket, a passport and a visa. That’s about all you REALLY need for a trip like this.

Oh, and I guess having your own helmet is nice too (:

IMG_1161.jpg

Looking forward to keeping up with another rr on this trip. It was something I enjoyed a lot during our winter ride through Ethiopia last year - that was my first rr experience, and I was fascinated by the impact it had on my trip. Like a little diary, the reason to chronicle all of the sounds, smells and thoughts of my day. I really enjoyed sharing with you all. So I guess what I’m trying to say is, I can’t wait to do it again!

That is, if the nCoV doesn’t take me out mid-trip.

I was cracking up today thinking about the people who believe the coronavirus’ cause to be Corona... the Mexican beer.

Google searches reveal this alarming fact. SMH.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...e-think-coronavirus-is-related-to-corona-beer

I guess it’s a good thing I’m off the juice - no Coronas for me!
    ilten, nuke65, Baldy and 17 others like this.
  2. johnnywheels

johnnywheels Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Three time zones and an early Sunday morning wake up call from birds chirping outside my window mean I have the honor of being the first to wish you safe travels. Thanks in advance for sharing!
    Baldy, Sideoff and easyrider11 like this.
  3. MTBRALPH

MTBRALPH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I keep reading these ride reports about trips in exotic locations and have just assumed that the cost is way out of reach. Just now I read the price you posted for renting the bikes for a month and thought mmmmmmm. I checked air fares to Hanoi and found it is possible for me. Retiring next year. Viet Nam here I come.

Thanks for opening my eyes,
    Ralph
    Baldy, Chappy58, OR_Rider and 9 others like this.
  4. beemerjim

beemerjim Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    My daughter's in Viet Nam right now, and loving it. Have a great trip.
    Baldy, easyrider11 and Sideoff like this.
  5. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    This should be good. Count me in.
    easyrider11 and Sideoff like this.
  6. CoupleMoreCorners

CoupleMoreCorners The Dude abides.

Oddometer:
    Can’t wait to see a loaded down 150, and the rest of the report!
  7. thirsty 1

thirsty 1 Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    :thumbup:thumbup :lurk
  8. mpusms

mpusms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in. Avoid the bat soup, or is it snake... Good luck and have fun.
    Sideoff likes this.
  9. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    After your last report, I’m so looking forward to another.
    Thanks and be safe.
    BB
    Sideoff likes this.
  10. BornAgain

BornAgain Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Who was that Masked Sidekick :lol3
    easyrider11 likes this.
  11. Sideoff

Sideoff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Traveling to Hanoi via Hong Kong, reminders of the coronavirus are everywhere. Most people on the plane were masked.

IMG_3550.jpg

6 of the 7 stories on the plane’s LCD screen news app were about the virus. The 7th was about terrorism. Some nice relaxing airplane reading. Especially when the lady seated directly behind me is having a coughing fit every 20 minutes. Every time someone visibly
    coughs or sneezes, everyone nearby looks kind of downward and sideways at them, like ‘wonder if that’s the virus?’

Adjustments.jpg

IMG_3553.jpg

Temperature screening before security in Hong Kong.

IMG_3559.jpg

We tried to buy dust masks at our local Ace hardware & drugstore in White Salmon, WA before we left but they were completely sold out. It’s hard to find surgical or dust masks anywhere at the moment. They’re sold out here in Hanoi too. Anticipating that, we brought these neoprene masks that were left over from Burning Man. I’m not convinced they do anything to prevent the virus but they’re very fashionable.

Ash wore her mask the whole time. I was a bit lazier. In the Hong Kong airport 95%+ of the people - foreigners too - were masked. It’s pretty hard to understand people when they try to speak through their masks, especially if there’s already a language barrier. I started feeling weird about not wearing mine, so I finally put it on.

IMG_3561.jpg

This is what our kit looks like for a month long fly in trip. We each have 1 helmet bag, 1 carry-on, and two checked bags. One of the checked bags contains personal stuff (clothes etc), the other contains a Reckless 80, tools, and some riding gear. It looks like a lot but it’s actually not all that much stuff once it’s packed on the bike.

IMG_3565.jpg

IMG_3567.jpg

At the Hanoi airport we got local SIMs and some VN currency. Then we realized we didn’t have a place to stay yet, so we had coffee and booked something on our phones.

If you’ve ever stayed at a hotel in Vietnam you’ve probably tried this 3-in-1 instant coffee. As delicious as it is, the label is even more memorable. A fancy couple exiting their helicopter , except like, stock photos awkwardly cropped and photoshopped. It’s so bad it’s good. The coffee is also like that.

IMG_3569.jpg

We found Tigit Motorbikes without difficulty. This is the best organized rental place I’ve ever seen in SE Asia. We were in & out in 20 mins, with what seem so far to be very good condition late model Honda XR150s. Pickup in Hanoi, drop off in Ho Chi Minh City at no extra charge. In addition to the $450 rental charge and $50 insurance, there’s also a $1,000 per bike deposit that gets returned when you return the bike. They have 600 motorbikes and scooters in their rental fleet, spread out over multiple offices in VN. The moto-rental business for backpackers is booming in Vietnam. When I did my fist moto trip here 20 years ago, it was a relatively unusual thing to do. Now there are thousands of foreign travelers darting all over SE Asia on two wheels. It’s so cool.

IMG_1175.jpg

IMG_3578.jpg

IMG_3580.jpg

IMG_3586.jpg

Back at the hotel we test-mounted our bags and consolidated and eliminated unnecessary tools to save weight. The bikes come with an OEM tool kit that covers most of the basic sizes.

IMG_3601.jpg

IMG_3605.jpg

We’re jet lagged and it’s raining, but it sure feels great to be here. Tomorrow we’ll do some pre-trip errands, and maybe check out some tourist stuff too if we have time. Then we’ll hit the road Wed morning.

IMG_3610.jpg

Stoked to tag-team with Ash on another RR!
    ilten, jays100, SoPaRider and 22 others like this.
  12. third eye

third eye back road loon Supporter

Oddometer:
    following along! I did two moto tours there last year, you can give me flashbacks :lol3
  13. keithg

keithg Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'M IN!
  14. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Following along also, I must have just missed you two at Tigit... just dropped off my bike.

It will be great to see another perspective of the country on two wheels while the many smells are still fresh in my mind.

PM sent with a little info.

đi du lịch an toàn bạn của tôi
    Sideoff, thirsty 1 and 95Monster like this.
  15. 95Monster

95Monster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Following along and hope to run into you guys somewhere. I’m in southern Laos now, headed towards Cambodia. I may return my bike to Tigit in HCMC but left a bag in their Hanoi office so will probably just go back there. Ride safe. Hanoi traffic takes a minute :)))
  16. Sideoff

Sideoff Long timer

Oddometer:
    After getting the bikes in Hanoi, we spent a mellow day just processing our jet lag, packing up, getting the bags situated on our bikes, and dealing with last minute logistics like getting a visa for Laos and tracking down some supplies.

IMG_3632.jpg

IMG_3634.jpg

This is inside the Laos embassy in Hanoi. They processed our visas in about 30 minutes, although we heard from people who’d been there that morning that the turnaround was more like 5 hours for them.

IMG_3630.jpg

Note to future Laos travelers: in January 2020 - a month ago - they stopped issuing visas on arrival at many Laos land borders. Travelers are getting turned around and sent back to the embassy Hanoi.

In Hanoi we weren’t feeling motivated to do tourist stuff. Maybe it was because of the weather, or maybe we’re just not city people anymore. Since we stopped drinking a few years ago, city visits are less exciting than they were. Drinking and partying - then sleeping in and doing it again - was mostly what we did in the city. It’s different now.

On the advice of a (new) friend, we decided to head North from Hanoi and check out the roads along the Northern Vietnam border with China. It’s mountainous there, and supposed to be very cool. We circled some spots on the map.

IMG_3620.jpg

The next morning, we woke up to more damp weather and cooler temps. Still: stoked to be on the bikes!

Adjustments.jpg

On the road North from Hanoi, the rain picked up a lot. After an hour or so of getting pummeled by rain and splattered by trucks, we stopped under a bridge to regroup and check the forecast. It was rain, rain, and more rain for the next 4-5 days up north. Then we checked the forecast for Laos and it was all sunshine and warmth. Even though we were still dry and comfortable at that point, we knew it wouldn’t last. Plus even going west, there was still a day or two of wet riding ahead.

Adjustments.jpg

We decided to bag it and head west toward Laos instead. We are bummed to miss the far North on this trip, but maybe we can go North in Laos instead.

The small country roads west of Hanoi were a welcome change from the city’s urban sprawl. The rain let up, and so did the traffic. We rode through rolling hills and terraced rice patties, with beautiful scenery and many friendly faces and welcoming waves.

Adjustments.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

We landed in a small town called Canh Nang for the night, and found dinner ($2.50) and a decent room ($8).

IMG_3723.jpg

Adjustments.jpg

Now it’s 5am and I’m awake long before I want to be, drinking coffee and pecking out this report. Early AM wake-ups are a recurring problem when I travel. Ash, on the other hand, is sound asleep as usual.

We’re about 65km of winding mountain roads away from the border. When Ash is up, we’ll break out a paper map and see what looks interesting in Northern Laos. Any advice appreciated!
    ilten, Baldy, 78er and 14 others like this.
  17. Sideoff

Sideoff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah that would be great, we’d love to meetup somewhere! We left bags at Tigit in Hanoi too. We’re planning to fly back from hcmc, dart into Hanoi by taxi to retrieve bags, then return to the Hanoi airport for our flights on the 29th. Who knows though, seems like a long time from now! Hope your trip is going awesome man!
    95Monster and JeepDawg like this.
  18. third eye

third eye back road loon Supporter

Oddometer:
    get ready to see more kids on the roadside waving and saying hello.....SO cool!!!
    tonymarchman and Sideoff like this.
  19. SparkyYP

SparkyYP Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:

I'll be following along with jealousy, South East Asia is amazing. So much to see and do, and the cheap street food is my favorite!
    Sideoff likes this.
  20. Sideoff

Sideoff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Right on thanks for the comments!

We’re at a coffee shop in San Nuea Laos right now about to hit the road. We posted up here for a day to regroup now that we’re out of Hanoi and out of the rain. We weren’t planning to head straight into Laos, but here we are.

We’re generally planning to head northwest from here and see if we can get off the main roads a bit. I remember this from the last time I was here: there are huge areas of the country with no roads or settlement. Just river access. And a lot of dead end side roads that just stop at a village or a river. We’re looking for an interesting backroad loop somewhere at the north end of the country near the China/Vietnam/Myanmar/Thailand borders. Geographically it’s a really neat spot, with so many borders in such close proximity.

IMG_3809.png

Yesterday we walked around the local market here in town. I’m pretty sure the standing advice right now is to stay out of wet markets in Asia due to the virus, but this was a just small one (‘just the tip’ ).

IMG_3759.jpg

IMG_3762.jpg

Then we went to the Vieng Xai caves, which was a headquarters for the Laos communist party during the Vietnam war. It’s a pretty amazing complex of semi-developed caves that were occupied by tens of thousands of people for 9 years. There’s an audio tour, with headphones and stuff.

IMG_3798.jpg

IMG_3788.jpg

IMG_3786.jpg

IMG_3784.jpg

IMG_3781.jpg

IMG_3777.jpg

IMG_3770.jpg

IMG_3767.jpg

IMG_3766.jpg

Then we overate Indian food and called it a night. Pretty sweet room for $20 here in San Nuea, with indoor bike storage.

IMG_3750.jpg

IMG_3802.jpg

Next stop: no idea.
    ilten, kleinergti1, jays100 and 22 others like this.