Flying to Vietnam today

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by easyrider11, Feb 1, 2020.

1. spaceman_spiff

spaceman_spiff Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow, I'm really really really digging the look of the rak jacket! Are you guys wearing armor under them? I'm always struggling to find the best setup for traveling vs riding
    Sideoff likes this.
  2. spaceman_spiff

Oddometer:
    Hey Ash, what are you using to edit your pics? Think I saw you're using an iPad?
    Sideoff and easyrider11 like this.
  3. easyrider11

easyrider11 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lightroom my friend
  4. spaceman_spiff

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Gonna check it out!
    Sideoff likes this.
  5. Bogfarth

Bogfarth Fridge Magnet Safety Tester

Oddometer:
    I agree with Danners. Their Quarry has been my riding boot for... going on eight years now. I usually manage to murder a pair a year riding through typical Northwet weather, wearing them six days a week all day long. Living 30 mins from the factory store, I got two employees going on the topic of riding boots one day. Both stated many, many people (employees included) have requested Danner make a riding boot or two. Maybe if enough noise gets made...?

PS: Swap the Danner insoles for Softec, it's like wearing armored moccasins.
  6. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
    Take a look at Luminar 4 as well; simply an alternative. Luminar is stand alone, no Cloud or subscription.

I switched from Lightroom to Luminar 4 upon its release. I waited for 4 as this release finally included library/catalog features.

I've been a PS user since about release 1.0. And still use it on occasion as necessary.

Sorry for the hijack Ash! Thoroughly enjoying your images processed with LR!
    Baldy likes this.
  7. MTBRALPH

MTBRALPH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I really like Lightroom - especially since my new IPad has a USB C port. And the X-T3 will download over Bluetooth if I want it to.
  8. Jan Inge Sageie

Jan Inge Sageie Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    :-) This is the nicest post I have read/seen in a long time! Great pictures and text.
    oic likes this.
  9. SDR82

SDR82 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you both for sharing your adventures with us, I really enjoyed the stories and excellent photography:lurk. We'll be flying into Hanoi tomorrow for our own 3 week bike trip, this report for sure got us even more excited/inspired!!
    I'm sure you guys are having fun during the last days there, enjoy!
    ramblin66 and Sideoff like this.
  10. Sideoff

Sideoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have so much fun!! Let us know if we can help in any way.
  11. Sideoff

Sideoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Whoops! Double post.
    BillUA and thirsty 1 like this.
  12. Sideoff

Sideoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tapatalk issues, sorry!!
    cidi, chinditone, simestd and 2 others like this.
  13. markinthailand

markinthailand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great news. Ash needs a pangolin tattoo... :-)

And great getting to know you when you were here in Chiang Mai -- stoked to be a part of that and host your talk. Next time when you come to Chiang Mai we'll have to do it again! (And get in some great riding!)

p.s. Photos didn't show up...
    Sideoff likes this.
  14. Kiwi Canuck

Kiwi Canuck Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Unfortunately I don't see any of those pictures, just a link that goes nowhere.

David.
    Sideoff likes this.
  15. Champe

Champe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great report - thanks !
    (no photos for me either on post 212)
    Sideoff likes this.
  16. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Photos are quarantined for two weeks.
    Better safe than sorry.
    jowul, Sideoff, Sōul-ō and 5 others like this.
  17. Sideoff

Sideoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In Chiang Mai a few days ago, the doctor put a ‘split cast’ on the leg for flying. They make a full fiberglass cast and then cut it in half so your leg can swell on the plane without being trapped.

IMG_4694.jpg

IMG_4700.jpg

After saying goodbye to JM, I flew to HCMC, where Ash and I were finally reunited. We’ve been here for the last two days meeting with factories. Now we’re at the airport about to fly home.

Our original flights home through Hong Kong got canceled due to the virus. They moved us to another flight a day later, leaving us with a 24 hour unscheduled layover in Hanoi, plus adding a 9 hour layover in Hong Kong. With that flight we were supposed to fly SGN > HAN > HKG > SEA > PDX, which is a lot of stops, a lot of flying, plus 36 hours of layover with a broken leg.

Fortunately our travel insurance company booked a new flight for me business class (doctor’s orders due to the leg) going SGN > NRT > PDX with only a 3 hour layover in Tokyo. They also agreed to pay up to $1,000 for a companion ticket for Ash, and we found flights for her leaving/arriving around the same time as mine.

The insurance we used on this trip is called Travelguard (part of AIG). They have been awesome to work with. This is my second experience with them after a motorcycle crash in a foreign country, and I have nothing but good things to say. We have no affiliation, just happy customers. The policies were $50 each for a month.

Ash is on the tarmac ready to depart, I’m in the lounge waiting for a wheelchair to the gate.

IMG_4824.jpg

Here’s what we’ve been doing in HCMC for the last few days.

First we met with our sheet metal factory which is located in a technical park just a little ways outside the city.

IMG_4737.jpg

IMG_4728.jpg

IMG_4740.jpg

What you see on the screen here are pannier mounting plates laid out on aluminum sheet for CNC laser cutting.

IMG_4742.jpg

IMG_4745.jpg

That night our friends Justin and Grace flew in for dinner, and to spend a few days exploring the city. Grace is on a multi year round the world trip with no end in sight, and she only carries one kind of footwear

IMG_4754.jpg

The next morning we headed 2.5 hours outside the city, just 10km from the Cambodia border, to visit our sewing factory. The guy in the black Mosko tee in the pics below is Ted. He joined the company and moved to Vietnam from Korea right around the time we started Mosko. We were his first client. Now he overseas a staff of 6, he’s married to a Vietnamese girl, and they recently had a baby. So cool. Congrats Ted!

These pics are in the testing room: a drop test and a roller bag test.

IMG_4807.jpg

IMG_4803.jpg

IMG_4801.jpg

IMG_4795.jpg

IMG_4792.jpg

IMG_4788.jpg

IMG_4786.jpg

IMG_4781.jpg

IMG_4775.jpg

I’ve been to both of these factories many times before, but it’s still always interesting to visit in person. It’s so cool to see how our businesses have grown and evolved together over the last six years.

That’s pretty much the conclusion of the trip from my perspective, assuming nothing too crazy happens between here and home. It’s trippy to recall that just two weeks before this trip we expected to be in Ethiopia, Djibouti, and Eritrea. Then thanks to the curious case of the magically disappearing motorcycles in Africa, we switched to Vietnam and Laos at the last minute. Then thanks to an encounter with a small oily patch on a mountain road, I ended up touring the hospitals of SE Asia, making new friends in Chiang Mai, and road tripping through Thailand (and even briefly into Myanmar). Meanwhile Ash charged forward on her first-ever international solo mission, camping with the hill tribes, kiteboarding in the South China Sea, and making friends at every stop. A lot can happen in a month, and basically none of it expected.

Off we go.

IMG_4822.jpg

When Ash was sick in Laos a few weeks ago, I was stuck in bed with the broken leg, and she was feverish, coughing, and sneezing in the bed next to me. I teasingly called her a ‘COVID Pangolin,’ because the virus apparently originated with pangolins . At the time she didn’t think it was funny, but the next day she asked ‘hey, did you really call me a COVID Pangolin yesterday??’ Yes I did. Ever since then we’ve been awkwardly joking about it, because the virus has been a very real and omnipresent factor throughout the trip. In light of all that, I’ll just leave this here.

2BC9C94B-3E5E-48D9-92D2-5D962AB4C276-2116-00000160C106C758.jpg

Thanks everyone for chiming in, and for keeping us company on the trip. I’m looking forward to seeing more of Ash’s pics when she gets them uploaded.
    karter18, GeoAggie, MaNDan and 28 others like this.
  18. NSFW

NSFW basecamp4adv Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    GO ASH GO!

nice tour of the factory!

Pete. i was in Bangkok 3 weeks ago, and got bored visiting temples and taking boat rides. thought of going to Chiang Mai but I didn't have a bike. if i knew, you were there, i would have gone.

looks like you're on your way to rehab soon. a little Thai massage will help...of course on the good leg....haha.
    [​IMG]
  19. AdvMoto18

Oddometer:
    A great trip out of the unexpected! Just another chapter in the ADVENTURE of LIFE!
    easyrider11 and Sideoff like this.
  20. AdvMoto18

Oddometer:
    Pete...

With all those colorful and cosmic materials on the wall in the background, just think of the possibilities for the Reckless holsters and harness!!!:ricky
    [​IMG]