Flying to Vietnam today

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by easyrider11, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Sideoff

Sideoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oh cool!! See you there!
    95Monster likes this.
  2. bigsmoke

bigsmoke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been a wonderful RR! Been lurking in the shadows following it every day. Lots of good memories of a 2 weeker in N. Thailand several years ago.

Also...we will be at Adventure Days and will look you up!
    Sideoff likes this.
  3. ramblin66

ramblin66 HappyHappyJoyJoy

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear this.... It felt a little unfinished, but, I've enjoyed reading this RR and didn't want to be greedy and ask for more.... :hide

Between the broken foot, the crud, the virus and "solo female", you had me on the edge of my seat for a few days. I don't know any of your back story except what you posted here, but, sounds like you already have more than average experience traveling internationally. I've enjoyed reading about your engagement with local culture. I refer to it as "being places" instead of "seeing places". Not a lot of people have that gene. Although a much higher percentage of folks here do.

The photos have been great as well.... Looking forward to more.

Thanks! :norton
    Robthekiwi, Smidty and Sideoff like this.
  4. Calvinator

Calvinator n00b

Oddometer:

A word of caution regarding those earbuds from Maurice. Many of us have been waiting quite a long time for them to be delivered. Maurice seems to have disappeared and left financial supporters holding the bag.
  5. Mauricegarage

Mauricegarage n00b

Oddometer:
    If you see RiderBuds Maurice again, please get him to update his Indiegogo backers who are all starting to wonder where he’s gone. A lot of money has been invested and it’s all gone alarmingly quiet - to the point where we are wondering if we’ve been had . . . .
    Luckycharms likes this.
  6. ISUCyclones

ISUCyclones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ha, well my intention was not to side track the end of this thread, it just happened to have continuity to those earbuds I wanted too so I shared it... Bummer to find out that it may be vaporware. Anyway, this is an awesome rr sans the bum leg! Loved the Ethiopia rr too. You guys are doing it.

Recently acquired this for my top bag on an upcoming AK trip:

20200302_190146.jpg
    Force0321, easyrider11 and Sideoff like this.
  7. Sideoff

Sideoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It has been so disappointing to hear about all the communications problems on the earbuds. I didn’t know anything about all that at the time I met him, but I’ve heard a lot about it since I posted. All I can say is that he seemed like a cool guy in person, and the product itself looked great, but we only met for a few minutes and I don’t have any additional insight beyond that. I hope the issues can be explained by a production delay (understandable) and poor communications (less understandable), but I cannot vouch for that.

If anyone’s at ADV days at Rawhyde’s Zakar facility near California City this weekend, Ash and I just signed up to do a presentation on this trip on Friday cocktail hour (6pm I think)!
    Force0321, easyrider11, Baldy and 6 others like this.
  8. easyrider11

easyrider11 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    hello again!

So...

@Baldy @Sideoff and I had a fun, livestream fireside chat last night - this RR and our entire SE Asia trip was a major point of focus during the conversation and I've since been inspired to reengage with the RR and finish this thing out proper.

I'll pick back up where I left off and share more of my musings from the solo escapade.

Any who joined us last night, thank you! If you're curious to listen in on our conversation, check out the recording here.

moskomo.to/advlive

How about we start with this?

IMG_0689.JPG

What you're looking at is an abstract piece of art I created during my ride to resemble the route I rode, weaving in symbols all throughout. I then took my meager sketch and collaborated with a tattoo artist named Rik in Ho Chi Minh City to create the ultimate ride memento. Not like I'd forget it anyway, but you can never be too sure (;

Here is an in process shot as Rik was tattooing me. Personally, I find something delightful about the sensations you endure to receive a tattoo. The pain effectively sears into my memory a moment, a bookmark on my path - one I'll get to relive again and again throughout my life, every time someone asks about the marking on my body. How wonderful is that?

MYH01135.JPG

Over the weekend I'll pick back up where we left off and finally divulge all the details of my visit to the Kon Tum hill tribes. I hope you are all finding ways to thrive during this trying time of global turbulence and uncertainty - please remember that self care is important as we ride this wave. Sending healthy, happy vibes ~, a.
    EXEBECHE, td63, thirsty 1 and 18 others like this.
  9. bigsmoke

bigsmoke Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful piece of skin art! Really means something extra when you are the one that conceived and put it together. Glad you back up on the ride report. It was nice to meet you at Adventure Days and hear about the trip but really looking forward to the rest of the report!
    Drybones and MaNDan like this.
  10. River Rat

River Rat Greybeard

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride report!!! love the personal insight, thanks for sharing :thumb
  11. GeoAggie

GeoAggie Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Second this sentiment on personal insight. It really adds depth and authenticity to your adventure! Very well done :clap

Jeff
  12. SierraCB

SierraCB wadahp

Oddometer:
    This has been one of the best bits of content I have ever come across on the this entire site. You guys are truly doing the damn thing and not just pretending. Shit sucks sometimes, but it's how you react to it and they way you can just move on. Props, kudos, thank you!
  13. twowings

twowings Comfortably Numb... Supporter

Oddometer:
    Way cool! Will that design end up adorning some future MM product?? :D
  14. richardktm

richardktm Richard KTM

Oddometer:
    That was a great read and has given me lots to think about including ride gear, routes, business ideas, apps etc. the main thing about any trip though is the human contact. Thanks for sharing, little mini trip turned into an epic adventure.
  15. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for taking us all along on your "misadventure"! :thumb :lol3

I really enjoyed the interview with Baldy, and that led me to your ride report.

Gracias for all "the voodoo that you do!" :brow :wave

Hope to see you out and about sometime soon.
    Stay safe, RD
  16. Lone Stranger

Lone Stranger Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Sideoff & @easyrider11

Great report!!! Looking forward to seeing more in the future!!

BTW - I'm gonna ride out this virus thingie holed up in BKK. Can't do much but have something to ride. Most everything is closed except for take-out food and "essential" businesses. Apparently Harley Davidson and other moto shops are "essential"!!!
  17. nuke65

nuke65 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the great read. I'm too old to venture on a trip like that, but it keeps me inspired to keep riding through the states.
    GeoAggie likes this.
  18. 9w6vx

9w6vx Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Riveting stuff! Thanks for sharing your experience as you see it!
  19. td63

td63 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like tattoos, but...

...but that may be the coolest tattoo I've ever seen. It works simply in terms of stand-alone beauty but I also really, really like the idea of representing a journey symbolically like that.

Just showed to an artist buddy and my wife, neither of whom could give a shit about bikes, and they loved it, too.
  20. beantop

beantop Remember, Safty Forced

Oddometer:
    I saw you and Pete on you\tube with Baldy from ADVRider, then you Live feed with Andrew (wildcat) great stuff. I cant wait to the next live feed.

Live with Balay

Live with Andrew (wildcat)