Flying to Vietnam today

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by easyrider11, Feb 1, 2020.

1. GregDavidL

GregDavidL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's not like Thailand where you can walk into a pharmacy and get antibiotics without a prescription?
    Sideoff likes this.
  2. Sideoff

Sideoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We probably can actually. Let’s see if it’s necessary. Hopefully a rest day does the trick. It doesn’t really seem bad enough to need antibiotics yet.
  3. ukAdventurer

ukAdventurer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, guys. I hope you recover soon.

Just curious if your itinerary includes Nha Trang? That’s where we are based for the winter - tentatively until March 16th but may extend. We came here to escape the Mongolian winter and do some riding. I rented a 2019 Honda Airblade for about $100 per month. We only do day tours because I’m working 5 days a week online.
    95Monster and Sideoff like this.
  4. Sideoff

Sideoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah we might come through there! Once we get out of this little quagmire of fevers and bones here in Laos, we’ll start heading toward the coast.
    95Monster likes this.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Sweet!
    Sideoff likes this.
  6. SDR82

SDR82 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i'm heading with some friends for a 3 week vietnam trip (HAN to HCM) in 3 weeks. So i'm closely following your report.
    It sucks that you both a down for the moment, take care of yourselves in those circumstances there! Patience is key i guess, difficult :(
    Sideoff likes this.
  7. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO Supporter

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
    Hopefully some bed rest and Aleve then Ash will bounce back in a day or two.

You can only prepare for and do so much when in remote areas of certain parts of the world. An no doubt Pete's got the best handle possible on the situation given his remote travel experiences.
    Sideoff likes this.
  8. kubcat

kubcat Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    @Sideoff @easyrider11 a few things to keep in mind regarding the virus.

The coronavirus is very much like the flu in terms of symptoms and recovery rate with a few exceptions

• The flu usually involves a runny or stuffy nose, while fewer than 5% of the coronavirus patients reported those symptoms
    • Nausea and/or diarrhea is also common with the flu, but only 1-2% are reporting these symptoms with the coronavirus
    • Flu fatality is .05%, and initial coronavirus rate was unclear, but estimated at around 2%, but the early stages are skewed to the more sever (obvious) cases, so the stat will likely decrease as more cases are reported and studied
    • The risk in both diseases is to the very young, the very old, and the infirm. People who are in overall good health can typically combat the infection and ride it out.
    • Full recovery for the flu is usually less than 2 weeks, as does the recovery from other common strains of coronavirus (there are several, and some of them are commonly found in people with colds).
    • If its a viral infection, antibiotics will not help, and are not recommended becuase they can aid in the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria in the body that may infect you later and are then harder to treat.
    Rest, fluids, anti-inflammatory meds are the current recommended treatment

We are all hoping Ash gets well soon, @Sideoff doesn't get sick, and the ankle is just a sprain. Thats why they call it adventure riding. A story to look back on and tell others for sure.
  9. third eye

third eye back road loon Supporter

Oddometer:
    my last trip to vietnam in november, I started having what I thought was a cold two days after arriving in Hanoi. It went down into my chest and just felt like a nuisance during the trip. Moderate cough wouldn't go away so when I got back home, my doctor said it was "walking pneumonia". I'm guessing I got something from the plane ride over
    easyrider11, 95Monster and Sideoff like this.
  10. Sideoff

Sideoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Right on thanks for the info guys. Ash’s cough is worse and the fever hasn’t letup - although it hasn’t gotten much worse either (101.3). She’s WhatsApp messaging with the Laos virus hotline right now. They’re trying to setup a test for her here in Phongsali. It would be nice to know that she’s clear so we can get on with the trip. They want her to go get tested tonight.
    easyrider11, 95Monster, SDR82 and 3 others like this.
  11. AdvMoto18

Oddometer:
    Good to hear she's getting tested. As you say Pete, when it comes back negative, you guys can get on with the trip when she's over the hump.

Seems like we North Americans get sick every time we visit another continent, particulary for the first time. The worst lung crude I've ever had was in the Middle East; followed by SE Asia. But it seems like once you've had it, you don't get it or its not nearly as bad the next time you visit. I tend to think it is organic matter in the air from various known sources we are not accustomed to.

How's the ankle today? Swelling down?
    easyrider11 and Sideoff like this.
  12. GregDavidL

Oddometer:
    During my last trip to Thailand in December I got the coughing thing that was (apparently) going around.

I carry a Z-Pack just in case, but the pharmacist was very helpful and confirmed my thoughts that it was just viral.

He hooked me up with some codeine cough pills so I could sleep and a couple of OTC things.

He was pretty awesome and I think it was all only about $8 USD.
    Sideoff and OR_Rider like this.
  13. AdvMoto18

Oddometer:
    Seems like all the good, effective cough meds are no longer available in the US. No doubt due to abuse. Terpin hydrate immediately comes to mind. Many such meds are readily available OTC in other countries where abuse is a non-issue or severely punished.

In Hong Kong 5 years ago, my son came down with a nasty respiratory bug. We went to an organic compound pharmacist. The guy was about 90. Ground up a bunch of beaks, claws and other unknown stuff from Mother Nature into a powder and told my son to drink it as a tea. Nasty smelling and tasting stuff. But, it seemed to work as my son was feeling much better the next day. Who knows....
    Sideoff and ramblin66 like this.
  14. jowul

jowul Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I do not know what type of insurance you have. Just wanted to inform you about possible options. In 2014 I was traveling with my brother and sister in law and she got sick. After a couple of days in the "international" wing of the hospital in Vientiane (bring your own pillows and food) we contacted the French embassy (they are both French) and eventually arranged for a air ambulance evacuation to Bangkok. They had the proper insurance for that. If things go worse my suggestion would be to contact the American embassy in Vientiane because it is hopeless to rely on Laotian medical help. Most everyone I know living in Laos relies on medical insurance via Thailand.
    95Monster and Sideoff like this.
  15. AdvMoto18

Oddometer:
    That would be my suggestion as well, get to Bangkok for medical attention. The Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok comes to mind; it is internationally accredited. It's the biggest hospital and clinic in SE Asia. But I suspect Ash needs to be fever free to cross any border.
  16. Sideoff

Sideoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Bill. The ankle swelling is down. I’ve been on my back and had it elevated and compressed for nearly 48 hours, only getting up to go to the bathroom. We were planning to leave yesterday but then Ash was sick. At this point we’re ready to make a move, break or no break, fever or no fever. It’s 7am here.
    easyrider11, AdvMoto18 and 95Monster like this.
  17. AdvMoto18

Oddometer:
    I know a bum ankle and a runny nose/little fever wouldn't keep you guys down for long.

Safe travels! You know better than I, when you ride so as NOT to get hurt, really bad things happen.

So, safe travels...look forward to your next post from another Laotian village.
  18. Sideoff

Sideoff Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the advice everyone. Yesterday Ash called the hotline and went into the local hospital here at 10pm because they were pretty insistent about it. When she got there it was a shit show - empty building, no patients or doctors or anyone at all - and when someone finally did show up, they just wanted to get her out as fast as possible.

There was a disconnect between the person on the phone in Vientiane, who was pushing to get her into the hospital ASAP, and the people at the hospital, who verified the fever with a glass thermometer under the armpit, and were super freaked out by the whole situation, and doubled up their face masks when they realized what was happening. If you wanted to get checked here in Northern Laos it would be pretty much impossible.

Given that, we’re moving forward with the assumption that it’s a seasonal cold or travelers crud or whatever. That’s what we think it is, and is by far the most likely scenario. Ash has a history of asthma and respiratory issues, which is why she wanted to get checked. She was hospitalized and quarantined with H1N1 when that was a thing. Anyway, we did what we can do and now she’s up for riding and we’re beyond ready to move.

We’re 3-4 days ride from the VN border. Plenty of time to recover from a normal crud. If for some reason her temperature doesn’t go down by the time we get to the border then we may get stopped there, but we’ll deal with that when/if it happens. For now: back on the road.
  19. GregDavidL

Oddometer:
    Excellent
  20. third eye

third eye back road loon Supporter

Oddometer:
    glad to hear you're both getting on with it. Ouch that looked ride threatening but sounds like no broken bones.