1. Livestream NOW at 11AM PST / 2PM EST!
    Baldy Interviews + Noraly "Itchy Boots" from Youtube YouTube Live Chat here
    Dismiss Notice

FMF Q2 fitment

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by crazybrit, Sep 27, 2010.

1. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    My 06 came with FMF Ti Q2s installed.

I'm just now installing the Neduro 2:1 and noticed something odd regarding the way the FMFs are installed. The metal plate on the midpipe (which the three bolts go through) isn't close to being flush. The nuts thus don't go in more than 2 turns, tightening them down dishes the plate slightly.

[​IMG]

The midpipe flange basically rests against a metal ring which is flush with the cannister end.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I noticed on the stock KTM pipe that there is a machined recess thats actually slightly deeper than the flange on the midpipe .... so the metal plate on the midpipe secures down flush on the cannister.

[​IMG]

I pulled the outer metal ring out of the FMF (leaving just the thicker inner ring):

[​IMG]

This ring isn't quite as deep as the recess in the stock KTM pipe. The midpipe flange now goes into the FMF cannister but not as far in as the KTM cannister so the metal plate doesn't seat flush, better than originally but not as good as the OEM.

[​IMG]

I'm guessing this is "good enough"? I can't imagine I'd want to remove the thicker inner ring from the FMF as then the midpipe would just fall inside (if not mounted).

FMF kind of gave me the impression that the outer ring wasn't supplied by them .... so I've no clue why it was installed. There was a lot of gasket sealant around it. Beats me as the original fitment seems really wonky. The original owner was very good mechanically so I'm curious.
  2. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was

Oddometer:
    They all do that.

The nutplate on mine stand proud of the muffler flange by .080/.100"

Use SST hex head bolts, no washers. Chase the muffler threads clean w/ a tap. Use lots of moly anti-seize to assemble, do not overtorque, tighten to just where the flange starts to bow, then quit.
    Go ride it through a couple of heat cycles, retorque.

Come by and take a look at mine if you want.
  3. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    So you have both the thicker inner ring and thin outer ring installed into each cannister? As per the above pic with the white plastic measuring gauge lying against it?

That seems really whacked design wise. Why wouldn't you at least remove the thin outer one so that the flange goes at least someway into the cannister (final pic).

Fancy riding it over to plan-B Thursday so I can check it out?
  4. HellsAlien

HellsAlien a has-been that never-was

Oddometer:
    Cb,
    I think you're probably right about the no thin ring part; has been many beers since I installed 'em and that sounds right. I recall the pipe flange was not fully engaged when dry-fit and it all bolted up OK to the gap I mentioned.

Sorry, can't ride it over to B just now; its got a sidestand switch issue I have to fix. Possibly by Thursday though.

One more tip: select bolt grip length for as much engagement as possible given the limited bolt installation clearances around the headpipe. But not too long as any bare threads in the can will gunk up and gall the muffler threads long-term.

Until then (& I hate to admit it), I ride a British bike around town that won't crap out on me in the middle of macadams!
  5. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone other than HE have an opinion?

I figured someone else must have these pipes Ti Q2 pipes.
  6. DangerMoney

DangerMoney Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer:
    What I've got:

[​IMG]

right side:

[​IMG]

left side:
    [​IMG]
  7. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't really tell much from the pics, but thanks for making the effort. Does the midpipe flange go inside the cannister, or is it -- like mine -- just resting on the flush outer ring.
  8. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine mounts flush and does not leak.
  9. crazybrit

crazybrit Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks.

Can anyone think of a reason why FMF does it like this? As I said, seems wonky to me ... seems like you should be able to remove that outer ring and have the midpipe flange fit inside and mount against the inner ring. This would seem to provide a much better seal, no?

Oh well, beats me. Plan-B is to see if (via bending the tabs) I can get the Neduro 2:1 to correctly line up so it won't leak when flush mounted.

Does anyone have a set of instructions? Ideally for the Ti Q2s? I'd really like to take a look at them .... do they provide mounting instructions?