F'n Ontario nanny state!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Drif10, Oct 28, 2008.

1. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    Lornce, you would have loved the conversation I had with an old school timberframer last week. I dropped by his yard unannounced as he was hand scribing a beautiful pine log. After 90 minutes he was spitting tacks about the bullshit landowners go through in rural areas. He claims to have thrown more than one tax sniffing bureaucrat off his land. One made and attempt to re-zone him, said that it should be zoned commercial instead of agri. do to his shaping of timbers.:shoot

DW
  2. Oddbawl

Oddbawl Born Ok the first time.

Oddometer:
    Wow, one of my lifelong dreams has been to be in a situation where I could yell "erroneous" in public. It just sounds so dirty. Like kumquat. Or Gesticulate. Yeah.
  3. Oddbawl

Oddometer:
    Buffalo?
  4. JimmieA

JimmieA Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love the story about the land owners who are suing Ont gov. and OPP due to the native standoff in Caladonia, Ont. This has been ongoing since 2006 and these people have had no law enforcement since than. OPP are more or less scared off by the natives. Official OPP policy is to do nothing, allow the natives to break the law at will. The cops are standing by and watching these lawless people do anything they want.

My impression of law enforcement is that they are more or less like outlaw bikers or some such gang, only we allow them to carry guns legally and pay them to do their thing. Generally if a citizen crosses the cops the cop gang teams up on the offenders. Cops stick togeather, cross one cop and you have the whole gang to deal with.

Last time I drove through Kenora Ont. I saw like 10 cops along a 30 Km stretch of road. Cops seem capable of (over) enforcing speed laws but not criminal activity on a native reserve.

I wonder if these land owners have had to pay their property tax all this time?

JimmieA.
  5. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:
    Well said, this most recent Friday 13th gave us reason to pass right by the area.

We went around instead.
    drcool
  6. Oddbawl

Oddometer:
    Not to start a raging debate about native land disputes, don't know enough about it, but some would say they're fighting the same gov't railroading being bemoaned in this very thread.
  7. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Get off my lawn.

:patch

:lol3
  8. CGH

CGH Polluting the ether

Oddometer:
    :gerg
  9. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:

Ezackly!

:up
  10. Joel ph

Joel ph Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "Lornce, you would have loved the conversation I had with an old school timberframer last week. I dropped by his yard unannounced as he was hand scribing a beautiful pine log. After 90 minutes he was spitting tacks about the bullshit landowners go through in rural areas. He claims to have thrown more than one tax sniffing bureaucrat off his land. One made and attempt to re-zone him, said that it should be zoned commercial instead of agri. do to his shaping of timbers."

They call it "value added" agriculture. For instance a farmer who has a grain bin to store his grain is fine, but if he has a grain dryer then that portion of the land is zoned commercial.

I fought my assessment, which was based on the "value added" argument and I won in front of a provincial arbitrator. The gist of my argument was that all my income is derived from what I grow regardless of how I change it materially between when I take it off the field and ship it to my customer. Therefore "value added" is really bullshit because what is the person to whom I sell it to do, collect the stuff in his pockets?

As it was explained to me by the MPAC representative these type of assesments are mandated by the head (up the ass) office in Toronto. Decisions made by people who have never set foot out of the city and never will. They sincerely believe everybody beyond the borders of a city is an uneducated rural neanderthal, aside from their friends who have bought a "house in the country" and are in the process of saving the environment from the evil and uncaring rural people simply as a function of their presence among us savages. He said MPAC's mandate is revenue generation and for every guy like me who chooses to fight there are dozens who just pay it because they either can afford it, can't afford the time away from their own "revenue generating" work or can't get past the hassle of beginning the fight.

The trouble is when more people accept it they establish a presidence. The first question the arbitrator asked was how are other similar operations to mine zoned. Since no other place had a commercial portion MPAC had an uphill battle, but the arbitrator WAS WILLING to establish a new presidence.

Over the last few years the bureaucratic bullshit in this province has multiplied exponentially. if it's not some G.D. mouth-breathing property tax tool it's the local fire cheif, farm safety dweeb or some other government teet suckler wanting to piss away a couple hours of my time.
  11. RumRunner

RumRunner Sit there, turn that

Oddometer:
    Don't worry, we'll soon have the HST to generate a gazillion new dollars for their coffers that will allow the gubberment to increase it's legion of zealots tenfold.

DW
  12. 2Trider

2Trider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Come on guys ...there is only some 500,000 provincial acts, regulations, minister directives or provincial boards telling you how to run your life.....what is a couple more:rofl :rofl :rofl

Always a good read here about the BS factor that never ends...
    http://ruralrevolution.com/website/
  13. 2Trider

2Trider Been here awhile

Oddometer:

So update regarding Kawartha Lakes

As according to the HTA all roads in CKL are 50kph unless otherwise posted...to Legally be 80KPH they would have to sign these roads every 1100meters..... guess what that will cost:rofl

So the cheapest and most effective route that is being persued is a Private Members Bill to get the Status quo back...just maybe the Liberals will actually do something right and fix what the PC government of the time did

In the meantime the sleeping dog will stay quiet and 80kph will stay but realize 50kph is technically the legal limit
    fun fun fun

Whitby Oshawa And Clarrington are all posted as 50kph default(no 80kph anymore)....be aware or be screwed
  14. JimmieA

Oddometer:
    New year some fines double and up to 4times increase.

Heres a lovely, $2000 fine for failing to pull over for a fire truck or following too close a driving suspension for up to 2 years. Get caught twice in 5 years fine $4000 and possible jail time in addition to licence suspension.

Run a red light $1000 not wearing a seat belt $1000.

Of course the cops, OPP thinks this is great.

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=2382541

JimmieA.
  15. Oddbawl

Oddometer:
    They've seen what a fantastic windfall the stunting laws and related fines have turned out to be, so I'm not suprised. Does this mean better hospital service, or just a raise for McGuinty and his pals?
  16. JimmieA

Oddometer:
    Over the afternoon I've been thinking. Does this $1000 fine for red light include the many photos at red lights too? If I was to get a $1000 fine in the mail for someone in the family slipping through a red I think I'd just have to do some target practice on a couple of the cameras. I wouldn't use a 22 cal just a good pallet gun should do the job.

The poor car dealers, give a customer a loaner car and get a $1000 ticket in the mail. Than the war begins, trying to get the customer to pay for it.

I guess Dalton doesn't want to get back into power, just like our guy in N.B.. They keep this up the Liberals are going to be un-electable for a long time.

JimmieA.
  17. Oddbawl

Oddometer:
    That would be awesome! Run around in a rubber Dalton McGuinty mask and a 6 foot potato cannon taking out red light cameras. I can see the news now, "Here is the last known photo of the suspect before the camera was destroyed......"
  18. Oddbawl

Oddometer:
    It would take some practice with a sidecar mounted potato cannon, but not beyond the realm of possibility. Some would even regard it as civic duty.
  19. fyr

fyr iRoast Coffee

Oddometer:
    Fully auto paint gun should be fun to play with in this situation.
  20. drcool

drcool R.I.P. Dave

Oddometer:
    Argh, that's the idea! Blind em first...they won't see what's comin.

Full auto Potato Cannon?
    drcool