F'n Ontario nanny state!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Drif10, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Ooobah-Moto

Ooobah-Moto Banned

Oddometer:
    Playing the devil's advocate: What's to say children under the age of 14 are strong enough to counter the forces of acceleration and braking to safely hold on - on the back of a motorcycle?

In counter: most children over 10 years old should be able to cope with said forces.

Just some food for thought.....
  2. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sport bike passenger pegs are quite high. I couldn't find an appropriate pic, but this'll do...

[​IMG]
  3. Fin

Fin Kahoon's my daddy!

Oddometer:
    I did some checking at my office today and was told that very, very rarely do private member bills ever succeed. It also takes three readings before it becomes law and only the third reading mattters.

That being said, bomb them with emails. :lol3
  4. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    From official Ontario Accident statistics, 2001 through 2005 -

For motorcycle passengers 0-15 years of age, 1 fatality and 93 injuries.
    For bicycle passengers 0-15 years, no fatalities and 433 injuries.
    For car, truck and bus passengers 0-15 years of age, 139 fatalities and 10,863 injuries. No data from 2006 or later has been released.

(ripped from the CMG Online forum)

I think kids under 14 shouldn't be allowed to ride in cars, trucks or buses, with a view to promoting safety on Ontario's roads and protecting youth from preventable injuries. :rolleyes
  5. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Helena Jaczek, MPP (Oak Ridges--Markham)

[​IMG]

Current Parliamentary Roles

Member, Standing Committee on Social Policy
    Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Health Promotion
    Ontario Liberal Party

Helena Jaczek - Parliamentary History
    Dates of service as an MPP
    October 10, 2007 -- present

The face that puts the nanny in nanny state. :shudder
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    How about also adding in your emails to those fucktards at Queen's Park, that we need to allow motorcyclists in the HOV lanes on the 400 series highways, without requiring us to carry a passenger :rolleyes . We've gotta be the only jurisdiction in north america not to allow us to freely use the HOV lanes.
  7. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've written to the ministry about that in the past. Their idiocy knows no bounds. :ruskie

I wrote a letter to my local MPP, but I was able to arrange a meeting with him too, so I'll bring it up with him then.
  8. Dilligaf0220

Dilligaf0220 Miserablist

Oddometer:
    Fixt.
    It was brought up to Douchebag Donna when she was transport minister......her response was that if single passenger bikes were allowed, then they'd have to allow SmartCars, hybrids & electrics too :huh

I bet she's a big hit up north too, now that she's been shuffled to Resources minister. Yaaay.
  9. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:
    Thraan. The problem with that logic is that if you factor miles covered or time exposed to risk into your stats (as you should in such a comparrison) I'll bet you a doughnut the motorcycle fatality will be statistically proven to have been inflicted by the most dangerous activity.

And I bet it's by a factor of 7 or more.
  10. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good point. I did not know that. Being in northern Ontario (Queen's Park couldn't find Kenora on a road map) that's not an issue for us. Hey, we CAN use studded tyres! The HOV lanes are intended to encourage efficient use of transportation. Like fuel burned per seat filled. Compare ANY solo bike with a Cadillac Escalade with both front seats filled? Some (many?) bikes only have ONE seat......
  11. Oddbawl

Oddbawl Born Ok the first time.

Oddometer:
    Write in!!!! I did. We've got to stomp this shit. I'm getting tired of this nanny asshole garbage gov't telling me what's good for me and my family. Fuck them.
  12. Lornce

Lornce Lost In Place

Oddometer:

Unfortunately that falls apart when you look at a bike like a KTM 950 achieving 32mpg as it's passed by four passengers in a diesel Jetta getting 60mpg.

But it would free up trafffic congestion, and yes it's stupid. And as has already been mentioned I believe it's the only place in the world that bikes aren't permitted to ride in the HOV lanes.

For anyone who's travelled anywhere on the globe the traffic restrictions imposed upon motorcyclists in Ontario is stupifyingly mind boggling.
  13. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    What logic? That was paradoxically clearly specious...
  14. PXX

PXX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This thread ---> http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249031&highlight=dads+daughters is reason enough for me to stand against this bill. I don't know if my daughter will be interested in motorcycles or not (she's only 4 but loves to sit on the bike in the garage) By the time she is 14, hanging out with dear old dad might not be cool. The moment she is big enough and strong enough i'll be introducing her my passion. If it becomes her passion as well, I stand a chance to share something with her for years to come and it might transend child rearing years. I will do everything in my power just for that chance, for her.
  15. SpitfireTriple

SpitfireTriple Seek Truth

Oddometer:
    No. The next step would be to raise the age from 14 to 16. And then 18.
    (I am aware that you are employing irony BTW)

Please excuse this Brit from intruding on a Canadian provincial issue. But silly ideas like this, if passed, get to be seen by politicians internationally. Ambitious ones believe that they can advance themselves by pushing for similar measures. And they gain votes from SUV-moms.

Fight the Law in Ontario, but be aware that bikers elsewhere are behind you and support what you are trying to do.

The anti-law letter was eloquent, but as others have commented, far too long. I think the best argument is to show how many under-14s have died on the backs of bikes in the last few years. "1" if I remember. Of course, you run the risk of inviting the old "If one child dies it's one too many". Maybe, rather than comparing m/c deaths to car deaths (with the greater mileage as someone has pointed out) you could find some stats for horse-riding or kayaking deaths. Not that I (or you) have anything against these other adventurous activities. Quite the opposite.

The nannies will win unless they are fought.

PS Re your HOV rules: Someone needs to ride a single seat bike (or a normal bike two-up) and get caught and go to court. They can argue "There are no empty seats on my vehicle. It was fully occupied". The someone will probably lose in court but it's important to stand up for what you believe. I had a few days in British courts myself over speed cameras. I lost, but it cost me no more than time. And I felt I was "doing my bit".

PPS Take no notice of those yanks and their Queen comments. They're only jealous. Didn't one off them have to go back to Jefferson to find a Head of State worthy of mention?
  16. skysailor

skysailor Rat Rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kids don't do that any more. They hide in basements and play video games. And get fat. They are all allergic to peanuts. Hell, I'm going to see Bob Dylan in Winnipeg next week, and I'm sitting in a peanut free zone in the MTS center! WTF?
    Parents clean the kid's hands with antibacterial soaps, and won't let them cross the streets. Kids are not allowed to get dirty. Now they can't enjoy a ride on the back of "dad's" motorcycle? They are bullied in our schools. They are sold drugs in our schools. They are exposed to gang violence in our cities. But, they can't ride on the backs of motorcycles? What's changed? Who are these Nazis? Why are governments allowed to run rough shod over the populace without any accountability at all? Where is the CMA? Is there a CMA? Please, protect me from myself! But don't let me know about it till the damage is done.
    And don't even THINK about getting me going on airport security!
  17. roadholder

roadholder Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure there are lots of pics out there to horrify the safetycrats!
    Some of these legislators need to see places where motorcycles are used frequently, and for actual transportation... before reacting with the usual hysteria here!

I wonder if that laundry hamper/travel crib is CSA approved! :lol3

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

If we work together we can stop this bill...
  19. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    :scratch

WTF is that about? They don't sell snickers at that concession stand or something? What other concessions have nuts?
  20. Oddbawl

Oddbawl Born Ok the first time.

Oddometer:
    I just wrote the Premier too. I mentioned the fact that there's a hell of a lot of riders from other provinces and states that will probably not spend tourist dollars here as a a result. Would it do any harm if some of you out of province andforeign lads dropped a note to Mr. McGuinty showing support for Ontario riders and mention that?