Foam Sleeping Pad...Do You Carry One? Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by AdventurePoser, Jun 16, 2019.

1. AdventurePoser

AdventurePoser Long timer

Oddometer:
    The drawbacks to sleeping on foam pads is the size of them rolled up. The pro, and a big one, is that they are very comfortable and help insure a great night's sleep. I'm thinking of going this route; my skinny butt and shoulders create pressure points, ruining my sleep...

So, I'm thinking of investing in a good foam mattress.

What do you use, and why?

Thanks in advance for your responses!
  2. applicant_255

applicant_255 Misshapen Shaved Ape

Oddometer:
    Have a cheap self inflating air matress which is just an air matress filled with foam so when you open the valve it mostly inflates itself.

The nice thing is that it packs down nearly as small as an air matress would, because you can roll it up then reseal the valve and it stays compressed.

You can do a similar thing with a drybag and a regular foam matress, but it’s nice to be able to stop midway through packing the matress by closing the valve, unrolling it then rerolling it tighter, the releasing the valve to get that last bit of air out.
  3. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Look at the Big Agnes and Exped inflatable,insulated pads.
    Ultimate is MegaMat from Exped,but it is big packed,as it has foam core too.
    They make a Synmat Mega,which is similar,but no foam core.This one packs reasonably small.
    Both are insulated.

JR356
    NorthIdaho800gsa likes this.
  4. Blissed

Blissed Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. Don03st

Don03st Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the BA 3rd degree foam pad and love it. I could never really get comfy on the inflatables, or stay on them all night. Now I love seeing people toying with them to get them "just right" while I've had my foam pad deployed in about 1.2 seconds. Foam is warm too. Rolled up space is not the best but I just roll my tent in the middle-done.
  6. header

header Chris

Oddometer:
    I’ve been using big Agnes brand insulated air pads. All the air pads are amazing for how small they pack down and how comfortable they are but none are very durable or warm. Some claim to be warmer but, in my opinion, laying on a cloud of air with a large surface area is never going to be warm.

I like to pair mine with a closed foam pad for warmth and to decrease the chance of puncture but I agree the closed cell foam pads are big.

I’ve been looking at REI and found new closed cell foam pads that fold up instead of roll up, I think they have a smaller packed size than the Walmart special most of us use.

Thermarest z lite SOL seems to be the most liked.
  7. Balootraveler

Balootraveler Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a BA inflatable pad and a cut to the same size closed cell pad both fit under/in the pads sleave of the BA bag. Packing the foam is a bit bulky but it never goes flat.
  8. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I usually use the plain blue pad. Easy to cut the width and length to exactly what I need. MUCH lighter than inflatables. 100% reliable and will never have a puncture failure in the night.

Yea. It's bulky. About $6 at the local store.

EDIT: 3/8" (10mm). And I sleep great on it. I do look at inflatables occasionally but just can't switch from something that works so well. I would like something less bulky if it was as comfortable, 100% reliable, and not more than a pound.
  9. sagedrifter

sagedrifter Southern Explorer

Oddometer:
    What foam pads are you referring to? I've tried a couple, they are just too thin. I found the cheap yoga mat from Walmart worked in a pinch, but its not anyway close to a 3.5" air mattress.

I've done okay with a Exped Synmat 9, its 3.5" thick and keeps me off the cold ground. I've had two Expeds in the last 12 years or so, I only use them a few nights per year though. Eventually a chamber seam blows out and once they blow totally I'll get another air type.

I pack all my camping gear in the bike's hard luggage right now. So the compact air mattress is great for keeping the seat clear.

I'll probably get a thick insulated klymit pad next, maybe it will hold up better with the different air chamber design. I really don't want to carry a big roll of foam on the bike. But you can glue two yoga mats together and get some comfort, it just takes up the whole rear seat. On the plus side it gives you a back rest.
  10. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi

I do not use foam mattress, I use a air mattress thernorest neo air.

Reasons.

1... Foam is just to bulky for my style of riding, it light enough.

1) Air is compact and light when packed

2) is thick enough I only feel the ground if I put all my weight on my hands on knee when getting up and laying down....once I am laying down the support is very good , I never feel the ground.

Negatives

1 air is fragile. ...can not set directly on ground like foam ...need a tarp or tent floor.

Hope that helps

Scott
  11. Tor

Tor Imported Norwegian

Oddometer:
    Exped Downmat XP 9 LW. R value of 8. Down filled. Packs smaller than my down bag. Used it for years.
  12. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    If your back is not young and still undamaged, or you have deeper pockets than me-etc., then the answer is not my answer. My thin self-inflatable Thermarest backpacking pad is better than a military style/Walmart pad but no longer gets me any sleep.
    I like my Klymit pad(wide and thick!-the red rectangular version) based on price point and performance it does the job well, is compact yet cost lots less than other pricey versions as mentioned above.Bought directly from the sellers as a return but really was brand new.
    Motopsychoman likes this.
  13. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    https://www.globetrotter.de/frilufts-isomatte-evazote-isomatte-schwarz-1007651/
    The thickest one of these is about an inch thick, maybe a smidge more.

Globetrotter.de is Europe's largest outdoor provider of quality gear. I have never met a sales person who didn't speak English. (no afiliation). They now have a access portal in English too.
    Each branch I have visited has a torture rack consisting of cobbles in a frame, maybe 3 - 4" random variation in height, so you can try out their mats and matresses.

I did try the thick foam and it seem fine, probably the best, because it is much stiffer. That was also the reason I bought something else. Pack size was huge. Weighed very little, but the volume....

I have ended up with a blow job to look forward to after a hard days riding.
  14. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Foam too big. Air mattress mentioned and I have Klymit and Sea/summit. Packs as big as a pop can.
  15. OKDQ

OKDQ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tend to sleep cold on an insulated air mattress and 0* sleeping bag (nightly temps in the twenties and teens). I'm planning on doing some cold weather camping so I have decided to also carry a foam pad. I bought the Nemo Switchback folding pad. Haven't used it yet, but it's folded size is 5"x6"x 20" L, too big to fit inside my panniers but should be able to strap it on the exterior...will see.
  16. mslim

mslim If it's worth doing... it's worth overdoing

Oddometer:
    Insulated Klymit Static V here too. I've had lots of others from closed cell military, to 1.5" fat guy XL foam Thermarest. This is the winner for me in the comfort/packing size compromise department. I think I got it on Ebay (?) for a substantial discount from Klymit. Supposed to be a second but it looked and functioned as brand new. Probably an overstock or cash flow deal kind of like "B stock" in music gear.
  17. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    RE: self-inflating mattresses - you need to plan a storage place for them when not in use as storing them completely rolled-up (or in a hot environment like an attic) will destroy the internal open-cell foam and they will not self-inflate. DAMHIK
  18. fitty ate

fitty ate Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thermarest Base Camp.
    You can check out the specs on their website. Top quality and extremely durable.
    Have had it for 6 years and it was a game changer for me.
    I won't fit in a case so I strap it across the pillion.
    Fits perfectly in my one-man tent.
    CIMG0916.JPG
  19. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    I am here from the hammock delegation just to remind you that we’re watching.
    TheBritAbroad likes this.
  20. NorthIdaho800gsa

NorthIdaho800gsa Bad influence

Oddometer:
    :jack