Fodsport Android Based Moto GPS. Any experience?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by macintosh, Dec 20, 2018.

1. macintosh

macintosh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just looking around for new GPS device and discovered Chinese made Fodsports Motorcycle GPS. This time Android-based and from photos seems quite good. Sure, there is kind of too little RAM and screen brightness could be better (700cd) but for a monofunctional device, it looks quite usable. Its gloves friendly and has everything to attach to handlebar in a box. Considering, its Android-based I can theoretically install there any navigation app I want, so I can ditch the idea of purchasing a waterproof Android phone for navigation. But ... yes, there is always a but. Chinese made stuff is often hit-or-miss so it may be total crap or quite usable.
    Does anyone have experience with that specific device?

https://goo.gl/UK6wtQ

[​IMG]
  2. robxxx

robxxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  3. double diffa

double diffa NC750x 2016

Oddometer:
    I bought one last week, it won't connect to my pc...I will have to send it back for a refund.
  4. currenv

currenv Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ann Arbor, MI and San Miguel de Allende MX
    There is a thread named "Chinese GPS on the Stromtrooper forum that includes extensive discussion of the the FODSPORTS unit, its strengths and its quirks. They're apparently not as plug and play as units like the Garmin but then they're a lot cheaper too. Inmate SECODA over there seems to be quite familiar with the unit, so I'd suggest looking for his posts.

Based on this discussion I purchased one for myself but I haven't powered it up yet. I'm hoping to start playing with it this week.

(Double Diffa, you might want to look through that thread too -- some folks had similar issues with the Fodsports and playing around with Android fixed it -- cleaning caches, etc. Wouldn't surprise me if glitches that affect one brand might affect another. I don't recall the specifics, though.)

Vinnie
  5. currenv

currenv Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ann Arbor, MI and San Miguel de Allende MX
    Update: I just powered it up. It started fine, connected to my WiFi. I selected "navigation" and chose a location near me. The I-Go software started and the map came up without a problem. It appears to have maps loaded for US, Canada, and Mexico, however the date stamp on the map files is 2017. I'm not surprised -- this was one of the issues discussed in the Stromtrooper thread. Folks there had mixed success uploading refreshed maps. A lot of memory is used, so I think a micro USB SD card will be essential. It can handle up to 32gb, class 10. Lots more information in the thread I cited above.

Vinnie
  6. robxxx

robxxx Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Those maps can be updated very easily. But for copyright reasons, I will pass on answering the question directly on an open forum. Here in Europe I usually dump all the stuff that is not needed. E.G. Unwanted maps & POI's take up space. Get rid of the stuff your not going too need. I always dump a lot of the Scandinavian countries, and FAR eastern stuff. Russia, Ukraine, etc. Also get rid of stuff like .FTR files, they are truck related, so no use to you. Dump the junction view stuff if your not bothered about them. 3D building stuff is a big waste of space, so dump if you dont want it. HERE maps for Igo are usually updated every quarter, and I'm pretty sure they are state based for the US, and, as countries for Canada and Mexico, so just get rid of all files related to bits you don't want.
    As I mentioned in my original post on this thread, I now use an Android mobile. I won't bore you all with detail, but lets just say that for a bit more money than the Fodsport, I have somthing that is tough enough to beat a mugger to death with, and can cope with Waze, OsmAnd and Google maps on, and offline. I'm running Android 8 Oreo, rather than 6.0 Marshmallow, and have a screen that I can see in any condition.
    Bottom line. The Fodsport is just a more upto date version of the old Peaklife/Rage. It's OK, but you can do better if you pay a bit more.
  7. AussieTripper

AussieTripper Gaz

Oddometer:
    I've had an Fodsport unit for 3 years. I used it on an around Australia road trip and it worked fine. For some reason I cannot get the time to work correctly, changing the time in the Date Time Seetings does not help. The time on the initial menu is correct but when you go into the navigation page the time is always 2 hours out, this only really affects the arrival time function. An other issue I had was plugging it into a cigarette lighter plug. It would drop out at will, this is not a problem when it is hard wired. If the power supply is interrupted during start up, the on and off function becomes confused and the GPS goes into melt down. It looks like the GPS is fried but a very cold re boot is the fix. This was a problem when I had it hard wired on my BMW F800 GSA. The bike cut the current to the wire I was using when I hit the start button and would send the unit into melt down. The unit is currently fitted on my Chookie with an on/off switch on the handle bars to prevent this problem. The maps cover most dirt roads in central Australian deserts including some fairly minor station tracks. Roads like the Birdsville Track, are in full detail and so far I've used it everywhere. Cheap, waterproof and disposable. It probably doesn't have some of the finer functions but works and has survived a major crash on the said BMW.
  8. louis.dobson

louis.dobson Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wrote and then deleted a very critical review of the recent 1GB 5" Android 6 device because it hat three crippling flaws that made it unusable. However, from the perspective of just sitting in the garage, I think I'm on top of them.

They are:

1) The supplied IGo appears to be a hacked copy, and it has the screensaver on, which means most of the time you get a speed readout, not a map. Unfortunately it is not reading the setting - the screensaver is switched off, but you get it anyway. Apparently once you go past the first turn there is a power option on the right, press it and you can switch the screensaver off. A more moral alternative is to pony up a miserly 29.99€ for a legit copy with European maps and regular updates (reading review however they are not very regular at all).

2) Who wants IGo anyway? I get on well with Google Maps, and Waze, and other things. Unfortunately the Fodsports does not have the software "Home" buttons switched on so when you run other apps and especially settings you may well have to reboot to get out of them. Grr. Their Launcher doesn't seem to give you the option to switch the buttons on. Solution, download SmartLauncher 5, and use that to configure the home buttons. You can delete it afterwards, or make it the default launcher, or do what I have done and leave it on while I decide how I am going to use this thing. In the meantime I can use whatever navigation program I choose.

3) I couldn't get the Sharktooth to connect when the helmet was sat on the seat (bike powered, the thing never seems to charge properly). Paired OK when the helmet was hanging on the mirror. Both the Sharktooth and the GPS seem to have reasonable range, so I don't know if they just don't have reasonable range together, or if the electronics under the seat (KTM 1290 GT) bug the BT, or if the GPS bluetooth is flaky. We'll see.

So, as I said, in the garage it now works well.

Tomorrow we'll try it for real. A long cross country circuit. I know the roads well, so I'm not dependant on the SatNav, but we'll see how it performs.

[Further reading suggests the screensaver is in the UX folder and can be deleted]