Foggy Faceshields

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by fish, Nov 25, 2001.

1. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    No, not this Foggy: [​IMG]

this foggy: [​IMG]

Now that it looks like I may have solved the wethands thing, I'm looking for ideas on how to solve the foggy faceshield thing. I think Arai makes a larger breathguard (I wear a Signet GT), so I'm going to look for one, but also what things are out there that actually work for reducing faceshield fogging. I've tried Fogcity stuff, and I'm not happy with either the durability, or the nasty night-time reflections that are caused by the extra lens surface. Rain-X? Fog-X? :confused: :ear
  2. ChibaGS

ChibaGS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've had great success with the Fog City inserts - proper installation goes a long way toward getting rid of that night-time glare. The first one I used, it was pretty bad, but when the next cold/rain/snow season started, I cleaned my face shield better, took more time with the installation, and reduced the glare by probably 75%. But I can understand that lots of folks aren't willing to put up with it.

Anyway, for my eyeglasses I've always used this little bottle of blue Fog Away fluid. Works great for a few days, then requires reapplication. Smells funky for a few hours, but once you're out in the wind with tears freezing to your face the smell becomes...unimportant.

FWIW

--chiba
  3. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, chiba. I thought I was pretty careful with the Fogcity stuff...and actually went through a couple of them before I decided there must be another way. I think I'll look for some Fog Away next.

BTW, had a look at your website...I think you're gonna fit *right* in here :1drink

http://www.newspeak.org/
  4. ChibaGS

ChibaGS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah...just from scrolling around I think I'll like it here too. I like this format a lot better than the IBMWR list, where I'm in digest mode because the traffic is just too heavy. I post my NSHO in another forum run off this same engine, www.sigforum.com (warning: politically incorrect content) and like the way it's done interface-wise.

I've only had my GS for a few weeks - long enough to get it down one really muddy road away from my friends and drop the damn thing (naturally, when no help is around). Gawd it's heavy - but I'm big & strong...as long as I don't have to pick it up too often :)

I've been using the Fog City inserts for, oh - gotta be 4 or 5 years now I guess. I do notice the glare, but having been an eyeglass wearer since age 7 (25 years ago!), I'm adaptable to that kind of thing - you quickly get used to it when you have a refractory piece of material an inch from your eye.

At any rate...I look forward to being a participatory member of this adventurous group!

--chiba
  5. Steverino

Steverino Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer:
    We are just a hop skip and a jump form you in the Beautiful Shenandoah Valley near Harrisonburg. We frequently get by you way on our adventures, we being me and that damned Freaking RT Rider that hangs out here also. If you ever head down our way drop us a line always looking for some new blood to go along on our rides. You just missed our SS1K to Nashville and back two weeks ago.

So is your GS MPyellow, those are :fishie favorite color, just ask him. Actually you won't have to, he'll volunteer his comment to you. :rofl
  6. Steverino

Oddometer:
    Santa Claus, it is that time of year and I saw dome posts from him earlier today:smile6

Is that Santa Claus or Santa Fish????:huh
  7. ChibaGS

ChibaGS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yep, that sure is my leg in the avatar. Now that it doesn't hurt so much (mostly just cold & rainy days) I play it up a bit. Got run over by an 80-y.o. woman in May '99 - killed my poor '96 Shadow. Over the next 18 months, I spent about 3 weeks in the hospital, had 3 operations, underwent incredibly painful physical rehabilitation, learned to walk again, and got used to having a limp. My Shadow wasn't as lucky, and ended up in a scrap heap somewhere.

Now that bike was yellow. Yellow w/white stripes. Probably why I got such a good deal on it - apparently Honda can't sell yellow non-sport-bikes, so it was brand-new when I got it in '98. Still in the crate, even. It was my first "real" (i.e. not needing to be picked up in my truck or missing parts when purchased) motorcycle.

I realize now that my '95 R11GS is my first "real" bike :) and the Shadow & Bandit were just warm-ups.

My GS is black. And nicely black, the 2 PO's kept it snug in garages when it wasn't burning up the road. I kind of like the black, I'm getting used to it, but my ideal GS is the '98 Anniversary model - that red & white color scheme sucked me right in.

I've spent quite a bit of time in Harrisonburg. I had a girlfriend that went to JMU and one of my bands used to play in the clubs there every now & again. It's a nice ride out there - we should get together some time. One thing I've noticed about the BMW community is that while lots of them are opinionated, few of them are actually assholes. Very refreshing.

--chiba
  8. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    :rofl Okay, look...i'm not laughing at your avatar (ouch!), it's just that the monkey in the post abo ve you just cracks me up. Bet it tastes _just_like_chicken :rofl

Now on the BMW assholes thing, there are some people (primarily on misterogersrt.com) who would probably argue with you that there truly are BMW assholes...and they're all over here now :rofl
  9. Steverino

Oddometer:
    Let us introduce to our Buddy Fish! That will change your mind! Joke there oh mighty fishy one. I agree, I have not met any assholes here yet either.

I spent the day today exploring gravel and forest service roads while the hunters were not in the woods. Kind of wet and nasty and now the MPY GS is gravel road gray with leaves for texture.
  10. Baldy

Baldy Founder of ADV Administrator

Oddometer:
    I banned fish but he came back in another identity.

Actually, I deleted a member who subscribed to a bunch of forums and then his email started bouncing back to the sysadmin (me).
  11. Harry Swan

Harry Swan One more time

Oddometer:
    Scott's Anti Fogging Cleaner. It's a liquid but it works like a wax. A few applications to the inside of your faceshield and glasses will eliminate fogging for days. The more times you treat the shield the longer it works. Scotts International in Sun Valley, ID. Try a ski shop.:beer
  12. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    Cool...thanks Harry.
  13. Chopperman

Chopperman I am dead

Oddometer:
    spit:thumb
  14. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    I've done that, but it doesn't last long