Foggy Shield Advice????

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Troutrider, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Troutrider

Troutrider Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know ya'll will laugh at this question from a balmy Southerner. When riding around 25 deg. the sheild fogging and freezing is getting on my nerves. Is there a snowmobiler's trick that would work? I'm tired of spraying defogger on my shield all the time. It doesn't solve the problem anyway. It just causes a blurry buildup of moisture. I've heard the Fog City shield does the same after a while. Any suggestions?

Troutrider
  2. keith in alaska

keith in alaska Valley Gruver

Oddometer:
    A heated shield is the way to go, but big bucks.
    Anybody tried Cat Crap(tm)??
  3. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    I have tried many systems for fog troubles.
    Many years of sno-go riding have assisted in these findings.
    The first and easiest method is a breath deflector. They make face masks which do the trick, but are quite cumbersome. There are a couple of head gear styled breath deflectors which resemble an oxygen mask and direct your breath out the bottom of the helmet. These all work for moderate temps which are motorcycling temperatures.
    Then the 100 dollar method is an electric visor. At Dennis Kirk (after market catalog store) they sell many electric visors for many different model helmets. The visors usually have the capability to maintain a 40 degree difference from ambient air temperatures. In other words at 20 degrees the visor surface should be able to maintain 60 degrees. The power usage is usually around 20 to 25 watts. There is some differences in useage and ability as you might expect in a system like that. But they work well for the cost.
    The last and most expensive method is a new helmet.
    There are a few good helmets which incorporate a breath deflector into the design.
    Bombardier (Ski-Doo) built one of the first and in my opinion is still the best. It is called a Modular helmet. It incorporates a face mask which vents all of your breath out the sides of the helmet [better than the bottom because of moisture in your clothes]. I have used this style helmet in -67f degrees with very little fogging. The other plus to this helmet would be the built in sunglasses, which are fully retractable.
    But there are cheaper models & the internet should provide a good selection of modular and other style helmets for around 200 dollars. I have bought 2 modulars on Ebay. One for $150, and the second for $180. Both in excellent condition. I use one exclusively for below 40 degree riding. 0 fog!

Good luck
    And let us know what you finally do

Gusgus
  4. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. RoyB

RoyB Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer:
    I live up here in New England and ride all winter. I've tried everything, including a snowmobile helmet. The Snowmobile hemet works OK, but it was uncomfortable and needed yet another wire to the helmet (I already have one for radar detector). I recently bought and installed the factory offered fog shield for a Nolan N100 helmet. Man does this thing work great! Absolutly no fogging! NONE! and it fits the helmet so good you have no idea it is there. These Nolan flip up helmets come with neck and nose shields. The Fog Shield was about $15 IIRC.
  6. Troutrider

Troutrider Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the reply's. Does anyone know of a U.S. Distributer for the foggy? It looks like it should be worth trying first. Thanks again.

Troutrider