Folding levers

Discussion in 'Trials' started by motodojo, Nov 29, 2018.

1. motodojo

motodojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am surprised you gave up the `FEEL` for saving levers. When Garrett got his 4T 300 Beta that was the first thing that went in the trash. Yeah I know R. P. loves them.
  3. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Who is RP?
  4. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    A retired Beta Rider.
  5. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just this year bought a pair of Zeta levers after breaking more than a normal number of levers. I really like them.
  6. motobene

motobene Motoing for 46 years

Oddometer:
    Not to poo poo a valid idea, but I don't prefer levers that pivot forward. A little too much is given up in ergonomic fine detail for some added assurance for falling backwards or to the side.

Then again I seldom fall out of control. I've not snapped lever clean off since the mid '70s. Knocked a couple of ball ends off since, but welded them back on :-)

I did start carrying spare levers in my hydration pack for long-loop national events just in case I fall just the wrong way. So far I've not jinxed myself.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  7. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    The trouble with the FEEL is they use two pivot pointd.
  8. MT 007

MT 007 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I typically leave the lever clamps a little loose on the bars so they will rotate on the bars if given a decent blow... haven't snapped any levers since.
    jonnyc21 and Huzband like this.
  9. mung

mung Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Leave them slightly loose with thin teflon sheet or teflon tape underneath.
  10. motodojo

motodojo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These folding levers feel like regular levers. The spring loaded folding pivot only comes into play if it hits the ground.
  11. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    No two style of levers `FEEL` the same, especially one`s that weigh three times as much. I should not have said anything as it is like an oil thread. But I get tired of new riders thinking these things are what they need. Just like bar risers. The only person at the Nationals that like these things is Peters`.
  12. Norman Foley

Norman Foley Devotee of the Husqvarna Supporter

Oddometer:
    Only time I've seen the ARC levers on a trials bike, is a Beta Rev 250. The guy rides it old school with no clutch and doesn't cover his levers with a finger while riding.
  13. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Sounds like Peters...lol
    Brewtus and Norman Foley like this.
  14. Ymirtrials

Ymirtrials Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not quite fact Line...
    I was going to take a photo of the AJP levers that I used until I was told I couldn’t. I put a blob of JB where the ball broke off and they were fine for years. Need the ball end to compete, ok...broke the bullhorn braketeck levers that come stock on the 4rt and bought short Jitsie levers as they are cheap. Well they break soooo easy where they are meant to break and you can’t weld them back together because they are some mag mix or something....
    Zeta levers now after I did the math and saw some experts with them...so far so good...but I’m no expert.
    :1drink
  15. UstaKood

UstaKood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've had a set for over 10 years ....

They're still in the package .

:D
    Brewtus likes this.
  16. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Peter`s rode with our club for two years. About 50% of our riders use them as our new Beta dealer pushes them. For me (And my son) I know the difference of lever FEEL and placement. They are as junk to me as having bark busters on a trials bike, even worse as they impair performance.
    But if you cannot tell the difference in how they impact your riding. Throw a pair of those heavy things on your bike. They must help keep the front end down. And your right, I have yet to see a set break a lever. I have seen a set break a master cylinder though.
  17. 2whlrcr

2whlrcr gooligan

Oddometer:
    Wait, you don't run bark busters either???:1drink
    Huzband and Brewtus like this.
  18. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    Motobene`s competitor that he always talks about won our Expert class Sunday. For two decades he swore that the Bark Busters were trials riders best friend. Some where along the way he broke the habit. I will check his bike for folding levers!
  19. motobene

motobene Motoing for 46 years

Oddometer:
    You guys who keep your master cylinder clamp bolts loose give me a scare when I test ride your bikes. I rely on my levers being fixed and immovable and sometimes impart a good down force on the levers when besting a big obstacle. It's a quick freak-out when the lever drops away - zoop! Can't tell you how many times I've tightened those screw over 30 years!

If my master cylinder clamps are not tight enough to maintain lever position no matter what, I have to 'pussy finger' around the controls and that definitely negatively impacts fine control.

"Motobene`s competitor that he always talks about won our Expert class Sunday. For two decades he swore that the Bark Busters were trials riders best friend. Some where along the way he broke the habit. I will check his bike for folding levers!"

Great competitor and observant stand-up comedian. A lovable fuzz ball whose sometimes acerbic humor is truly in jest :-) I consider it an honor to an object of said humor and to have duked it out all year with him. Squeaked the #1 past him in HPTA out by a mere 3 points in the overall! This friend also does things independently and differently, so I can understand a bark buster phase. I mean who willingly rides national events on a TY80?? I'd roll in and fall over and have to be pried off the bike afterward.
    LemmeTry likes this.
  20. motomofo

motomofo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Everyone should have Teflon tape under their MC clamps.
    lineaway likes this.