Folding Trailers - any expeience out ther?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by folknride, Oct 25, 2009.

1. folknride

folknride Old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess it's inevitable - pretty soon it will really snow and that will be it:cry , soooo, how to get to a nice warm spot and have my bike when I get there?
    Does anyone have any experience with folding trailers like this one - http://www.stingertrailer.ca/index_ap1308.html ?
    There is also a US made product called "trailer in a bag". http://trailerinabag.com/index.html
    Could you do a good long trip at highway speed, or are they just for getting your Harley to the show and shine without getting the tires dusty! :rofl
    Storage space is an issue, so I would love to not have a full size trailer to put somewhere.

P.S I apparently can't spell while posting!?
  2. dump-a-thump

dump-a-thump lapsed atheist

Oddometer:
    i've seen the folding trailers at CT. They are absolute junk. Cheap metal, bad interfaces, poor quality axles. I'm sure they are fine for light use, hauling leaves to the dump, maybe moving your mom's broken dryer. But i'd be damn nervous putting my ride into them, especially if you have a bit of wash-board to go over. Theres a reason they cost less than my front wheel...
  3. folknride

folknride Old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Didn't know that CT sold such a thing - and I got to agree - they look cheesy.
    The two I found on the web (see the links in my first post) are made strictly for motorcycles - but who knows?
  4. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Trialer in a Bag! Well built.
  5. awonderfulworld

awonderfulworld Lone Rider

Oddometer:
    Harbor Freight has a 4x8 trailer that folds in half, and fits on castors in on its side: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90154

It's actually pretty good, especially for the price. You still have to add a 4x8 sheet of 3/4" ply for the decking though.

I've had mine for two years and provided you have a few hundred lbs on it, I've never had it skip around behind my car. Empty it'll bounce around just like most other utility trailers.

For about $600 after you pay the RIV fee, etc.. it's hard to beat. You can also "technically" import it as parts only, then use all the parts to build a new home built here in ontario as well. Saves almost $200.

The only thing I'd do is upgrade the bearings after a year or so - the ones that come with the wheels are pretty low quality. Tack on an additional $25-30 for new ones.
  6. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    Trailer in a bag.....got to have pretty good balance...no place to put your feet down when loading
  7. Thorvald

Thorvald Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Red Trailers looked the best when I last researched this. I ended up just buying an Excalibur out of Brampton Ont. (single, non-folding). Red's aren't junk, look well made and have a fairly good website explaining the reasons. They fold up into a space of 2' x 5.2' for the regular model.

Checked on the ones from CT, useless, too small for drywall even. The company makes a bigger one but CT doesn't carry it.

Here are the Red's (no Canadian Dealer that I can find but you could just go across the border and pickup in Buffalo/Niagara). They also tilt and load.

http://www.redtrailers.com/Trailers.asp

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers
    Tim
  8. Thorvald

Thorvald Adventurer

Oddometer:
  9. Thorvald

Thorvald Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Doh, Motovan has them in their catalog, the 4x8 model only but it's there:

[​IMG]
  10. folknride

folknride Old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This looks like it could be a cheaper way to go - add a wheel chock and Bob's your uncle! I'll check my local dealer - see what it costs to get one.
    The single channel jobs do look pretty scary for loading my tallish 950.:eek1
  11. Maxxum

Maxxum Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I purchsed a Kendon and love it. More money for sure but you get what you pay for.
    Cheers
    Dirk
  12. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer:
    I nearly bought a small harbor freight/home depot/little red trailer, but just couldn't pull the trigger on a $250 trailer for a very expensive bike(s). The tires are so small- just couldn't.

Bought a used Kendon, and am very happy with it.

[​IMG]
  13. Sask_pirate

Sask_pirate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

air ride suspension, next design will be closer to "trailer in a bag"
  14. TrailRiderXRL

TrailRiderXRL Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have this one too and love it. As mentioned, the bearings are poor but everything else is great. Very versatile. When folded it fits between our house and the neighbours, making it easy to store .
  15. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, dreaming of riding the Alps, again
  16. Thraan

Thraan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought one that looks like that red one from CanTire about 8 years ago. I've had bikes on it, even bikes that weren't mine! Had it up at 140kmh on the 401 with my vStrom on it. I've hauled 600lbs (500 sq ft) of hardwood flooring on it. Never a problem.

The wheels are a bit small is the only complaint I have. I wouldn't want to put two bikes on there either.

I know a guy with the trailer in a bag and he liked it a lot for hauling a bike.
  17. Hockeygod

Hockeygod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    These don't fold per se, but stand (lie) flat against the wall. So if storage space is an issue, check the measurements on these. Saw a guy with one last week. Looks cool. He likes it - pulls well apparently. Nice big wheels so the bearings won't burn out. You can add accessories like a spare, kit to store it flat, etc. They build them for 1 and 2 bikes; among other things. You can buy them in Canada (somewhat expensive but most times, you get what you pay for!)

http://www.pod-ium.com/PODIUM-single-hd-harley-trailer-aluminum-motorcycle-bike.html
  18. Sask_pirate

Sask_pirate Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    a utility trailer with a gvw of 1500lb doesn't even show on the riv list therefore would require a phone call. bet as long as it has reflectors, tail,brake and signal lights with a us certification, ti would probably pass.

i've never inspected the ones at canadian tire to see just what certification they have on them...
  19. folknride

folknride Old Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This looks like the BMW of bike trailers (KTM maybe) but I sent for a quote.
    Strange that no one has experience with the Stinger?
  20. Hockeygod

Hockeygod Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the price I heard for a single trailer with all the bells and whistles was about $3500 CDN (including the $300 side storage parts.) Hopefully this will give you a ballpark.

(Yeah... this trailer is at a "KTM level." "BMW level" would be fully enclosed and come with a Butler...!) :wink: