Following the pioneers of the Dakota Territories.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rokklym, May 20, 2012.

1. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    After that excitement, we burned off some of the rubber on the edges of our tires through Custer SP, then into Custer for some supplies. After food and supplies, we headed up into the hills towards the Wyoming border.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then we reached our goal, the Wyoming border
    [​IMG]

This is the sign we should have seen upon entering Wyoming, but I took us down the wrong road.
    [​IMG]

After reaching our goal, we wandered through the hills and ended up in Hill City, where we made some phone calls then headed to the Whispering Pines Campground. I really like the location of that campground, it has a great location to base rides out of and good food nearby.

We ended up eating at the campground and we met a pretty cool dude that was a guide that took people out on ADV trips on horses. He knew the area really well and gave us a few hints for places to check out.
  2. Pickup man

Pickup man Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fantastic ride report and amazing pics. Whenever I get out that way I am definitely avoiding the super slab and going to explore this great place.
  3. Collarbone

Collarbone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I may add that after having that beast charge me I did get a little revenge .I had a great buffalo burger at the campground that night.:D
  4. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent!

Spent a week wandering that same area last summer...(in the car :cry).
  5. stinkweed

stinkweed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report guys. pictures most excellent. You all were real lucky with the rain. when it does,
    SD is know to have the thickest/stickiest mud in the world.
  6. limeymike

limeymike Who Me?

Oddometer:
    The fact that the buffalo charged is no surprise, Collarbone was on a Suzuki after all, probably mistook it for a female buffalo.

Great report guys, familiar territory and a great riding area so many pass by on I-90 in a rush to the Black Hills.
  7. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    Saw it was a Suzuki and thought it was a Water Buffalo:

[​IMG]
  8. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    This RR is worthy!
    I'm in.
    :lurk
  9. johnpitts01

johnpitts01 Long timer

Oddometer:
    :ear:clap:lurk
  10. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    A day of wandering around the Black Hills

We left our camp and headed up to Rochford, since I knew there was a lot of good riding in that area. We stopped by the Moonshine Gulch Saloon, but it was closed.
    [​IMG]

Then off to the Castle Peak area, where there is a maze of fun forest roads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We really didn't take many photos today, just cruised around and enjoyed the Black Hills. We went back to camp and got cleaned up and headed off to the Sugar Shack for supper. No trip to the Black Hills is complete without a meal there.

After supper and a few beers, we decided that we should probably start heading back in the morning. We could have, and probably should have stayed out in the hills for another day, but it sounded like it was going to rain anyways.
  11. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Our paths must have crossed in the last few weeks, I covered many of the same roads. I did a similar loop of 6,000 miles out thru Seattle, Jordon Valley,Oregon and back thru Idyhoe,Montana and the Dakotas. Next time take in historical "Reunion Bay", Spirit Mound, and I'll be glad to share some maps and GPS coordinates you rode right by. (See partial map below.)

[​IMG]
  12. Hektoglider

Hektoglider One with Life

Oddometer:
    thanks for posting
  13. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Very cool! I'd like to hear more about the cool places I missed, I'm sure I'll be riding out there again.
  14. LewisNClark

LewisNClark Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Link to my ride report pictures on Smugmug. Around 4,000 pictures of the L & C Trail. Reunion Bay = L & C separated in Montana coming home and regrouped at Reunion Bay...looks like you rode by it...also looks like you rode by site where Lewis got shot in the ass.

Spirit Mound - above Yankton...takes a 1/2 mile hike to get to it.
    I "think" I've been to all 585 of the L & C Campsites...and it is fascinating what they accomplished. This smugmug link shows a lot of their trail. One of my favorite places is where you turned around...:lol3...the Upper Missouri Breaks are facinating...and about the only way to get there is on 2 wheels or a canoe. Be glad to give some tips/suggestions on your next adventure.

https://lewisandclark.smugmug.com/
  15. sonofmt

sonofmt n00b

Oddometer:
    rokklym,

I am new to Minnesota and would like to ride across SD. Any way to get a .gpx file of your trip?
  16. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    I created the route. PM me & I'll send you an updated version.

Sleddog
  17. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

I still need to finish this ride report!
  18. Seventy One

Seventy One Tick Magnet

Oddometer:
    Subscribed!

I've never been west of Sioux Falls and am planning on a similar trip in the next week or so. Since this'll be my first mulit-day, multi-state road trip by cycle, I am wondering how tough it was to find gas out there. Also, how easy was it to find campgrounds? Thanks!
  19. GSAnderson

GSAnderson Wandering Swede

Oddometer:
    Fantastic! :clap
  20. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    Fuel is readly available along the entire route, you are never more than 30-40 miles from a town.

Camping is available at State & Private campgrounds all along the way. You can camp anywhere in the National Grasslands as well as in the Black Hills National Forest. The town of Gross, NE will let you camp in the town park, across from the local "establishment" Find out why there are $1.00 bills stapled to the ceiling!!!!

Couple of pictures from last weekend......

[​IMG]

That's Buffalo Butte in the background.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]