Following the pioneers of the Dakota Territories.

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by rokklym, May 20, 2012.

1. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Great photos! I want to go ride it again! I don't think you are ever too far from gas, but you might have to deviate from the route to get it. I don't think finding a place to camp will be too difficult either.
  2. Seventy One

Seventy One Tick Magnet

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info. Unfortunately all of my friends ride HD's and they're the ones that have been telling me there's little gas out there. As you mentioned in the first post, most people never leave I-90 and just want to cross the plains ASAP.

Great pics BTW! The "roads" look awesome too! That looks like DR65O heaven.
  3. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    I kind of forgot to finish up this ride report! We had decided the night before that we would start heading back in the morning due to some weather coming in soon. The next morning we packed up our gear and headed into Rapid City where we found our next challenge. That challenge was wind, an insane cross wind that would be a constant companion for the next 700+ miles. It was all we could do to keep the loaded pigs on the interstate highway. Luckily for us we had decided to take Highway 14 across South Dakota and Minnesota instead of fighting the interstate.

We stopped in Midland at the gas station that we were at a few days earlier then continued on.
    [​IMG]

We really didn't stop for anything, including gas for way too long, so no photos for a while. We were trying to keep moving and rack up the miles, so when we went through the State capitol of Pierre, I was hoping that we would find a gas station on the quieter edge of town. Unfortunately that didn't happen, the town just stopped and next thing you know we were out on the highway again. I figured it wasn't a big deal because there was bound to be something soon, and I was wrong again! After 30-40 miles I realized that we were going to have an issue with fuel since we both were already pushing our range. I think Roger had one gallon of spare fuel with but that would do a lot of good out here! Luckily, we saw a highway intersection ahead and sure enough, there was fuel! We both topped off our bikes and out spare fuel containers.

We pressed on through some huge country. Outside of Pierrre we had hopped on Highway 34 since it appeared to more of a direct route but it turned out to be fairly remote! We would crest a small ridge, look at the odometer and look ahead to the top of the biggest hill on the horizon, and by the time we got there we had put on 12-18 miles of straight boring highway.

Roger and I both had Scala Rider communications set ups, so we were able to talk to each other this whole trip which was great! Not too far from the Minnesota border, Roger's rear tube blew out at 65mph and sent him on a wild ride, luckily he kept it upright and on the road.
    [​IMG]
    The KTM side boxes sure helped with tube changes along with the bead breaking side stand!

[​IMG]

After the blown out tube, we continued on at a slightly slower pace and made it into Minnesota.
    [​IMG]

The sun was getting low and the constant battle with the wind had taken its toll on us so we decided to find a place to stay for the night, and a hotel sounded pretty good! We stopped and checked out one hotel, but had no luck so Roger called another about 20 miles down the road in Worthington. We scored a room there and headed off. Unfortunately, as we pulled into the hotel parking lot, Rogers tire was flat again!

Luckily, Worthington has a cycle dealer and a Walmart, so we were set, we just had to wait until morning. I took a trip around town that night to try to find supplies for Rogers bike but I had to settle for a patch kit from Walmart and then we would check out the dealer in the morning.

The next morning I we looked outside and noticed at some point during the night, someone had placed something by Rogers bike to keep it from tipping over! We went out to investigate and found this KLR sitting not too far from us.
    [​IMG]

The KLR belonged to JettnJim, who was great to meet.
    [​IMG]
    Jim is an awesome dude, he shares similar opinions to me, so we had a great time talking. Jim even tried to help with my leaking fork seal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cycle dealer didn't have a tube so Roger decided to try to fix the one in it for now until we could get to the next dealership.
    [​IMG]
  4. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    So after hanging out with Jim for a while and getting Rogers tube patched, we headed on down the interstate once again. It was also incredibly windy today and made it tough to keep the pigs pointed in the right direction.

Roger said "maybe it would be less windy if they would just turn off them damn big fans!" :huh
    [​IMG]

We stopped at the next town that had a cycle dealership and Roger scored their last 17" tube, so he decided he was going to swap it right there on their sidewalk! This would be his third time having that wheel off in a day, he was getting pretty fast at it!

[​IMG]

After that we were hot and hungry so we went to a local Subway for a bit then blasted out the last 5 hours of slab home.

Thanks to Sleddog for the GPS file for this route, it was awesome and I will be doing it again as soon as I can.
  5. Seventy One

Seventy One Tick Magnet

Oddometer:
    What an excellent ride! Great pics too.

I did a 2,400 mile/ 5 day trip out there as well but never encountered any buffalo or the great "roads" you guys did. Basically left Mn on Hyw 30, did most of SD on gravel, toured the Badlands, hit Devils tower, Lead Deadwood and Sturgis, then wandered out to Gillette and returned to Mn on Hyw 14.

I'm certainly going back for more! South Dakota is an amazing state. The gravel though...ugh, It's sloppy. It sure isn't like the crushed limestone we have in Minnesota.
  6. rokklym

rokklym one man wolfpack

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good trip! South Dakota is a fantastic state but you are right, that gravel is something else!
  7. alcanrider

alcanrider alcanrider

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing it!:clap
  8. Jettn Jim

Jettn Jim This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer:
    NE PA Some... PNW Some... On HIGH ADVENTURE Most!
    GREAT Stuff Chad!!!!! :freaky Was fricken AWESOME meeting you and Roger at the Super 8 in Worthington.....
    Great pics and narrative!
    Can't wait to read about your next adventure :1drink

Peace my Brotha,
    Jettn Jim
  9. Sleddog

Sleddog Ridin, again:)

Oddometer:
    Thanks Chad, awesome RR & fantastic pics!

I've changed the route a bit....more dirt/gravel.....less pavement:clap

I've also got an "All South Dakota" section for those that want a true TSDAT....although that dirt in Nebraska is the bomb!

If anyone wants the GPX files just drop me a PM....or if you want someone to show the way, drop me a note!

Sleddog