Food! What do you bring?

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by walter23, Jun 15, 2015.

1. walter23

walter23 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm taking my first longer motorcycle trip next week with about 8 days total riding (spending some time with family at the end point before turning back). Thinking about camping menus, I realize that my usual grub won't work on the bike as I usually have a cooler with some sausages, fruit, yoghurt, etc.

I want to pack as much as I can and keep eating out to a minimum (want to make this an outdoors trip as much as possible).

I'll probably be trying to pack for 4 lunches, 3 dinners, 3 breakfasts (can restock at my destination for the ride back), and snacks. Bear proofing is a consideration, travelling from coastal BC to alberta through mainly bear country.

What are some good camping food suggestions? I bought a dehydrated pack from mountain equipment co-op and tested it for dinner tonight; was okay, so that'd work in a pinch. But it's kind of pricey for what it is (glorified ramen, instant pasta) and not that great.

So far I've got a ziplock of rice, another of granola & skim milk powder to make breakfast cereal, an Indian curry in a pouch, and I got coffee sorted. That's one dinner (curry & rice) and a couple of breakfasts. I'm a bit short ;)

What do you guys like to eat?
  2. JerryMac

JerryMac Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Tortillas instead of bread, the small diameter ones.
    4x4family1 and Busaroop like this.
  3. bikerfish

bikerfish flyfishandride

Oddometer:
    since you've waited till the last minute to plan for food, If I were you, I'd simply buy enough of backpacking meals and go that route, some of them are pretty good. If there are stores along your route, you can always stop along the way for supplemental stuff.
    I've been moto camping for 30 years, and am still fine-tuning my campfood and cooking system, it's a never ending quest!
  4. Turtletownman

Turtletownman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Last week, I ate main meal at lunch on the road when possible. Stopping to cook is time consuming. One night a rice a bean thing, chunky New England
    Clam Chowder and a can of Spam-all bought when passing through town.
    Camping with grand kids, hot dogs over charcoal were a hit.
  5. boatpuller

boatpuller Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you need to pack all the meals, or can you stop at a store each day and get your food supplies? No reason to overpack when you can resupply each day.
    sieg likes this.
  6. walter23

walter23 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can resupply, but I'm aiming not to. Kind of want to keep out of the grocery stores if I can avoid it - would like to be stopping for a break beside a river on a side road somewhere instead of detouring to make sure I hit towns that have more than just gas station food.

Tortillas is a good suggestion for bread. Guess I'll pick up a few more freeze dried mountain man packs (whatever the brand is).
  7. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Personally I'd rather go hungry than eat MRE again, but each to their own.

Liquid egg should last for a couple of days if you can get small packs, and of course, the cooler the better.
    Easy to use, and can be added to your rice to make a far more interesting dish.
    Or fritata, a few veggies and or herbs, I often add chorzito/mergez, will make a fine evening meal.

Provision along the way is my usual MO.
    Cans may not be haute cuisine, but a tin of tuna or soup with some pitta will keep you alive for little space or effort.
  8. TBR

TBR One Life ~ Live It...

Oddometer:
    Good tasty beef jerky and muesli bars kept me alive in the past on multi day road trips, easy to pack as well.
    sieg and Drwnite like this.
  9. XXMe

XXMe Not my picture

Oddometer:
    Salmon, tuna, chicken, etc in pouches keep very well, pack easily. Works well for lunches because you can buy it mixed and ready to go on pitas etc.

I've also used precooked rice in a pouch. Takes up more room than uncooked but ready in no time.
  10. holckster

holckster dougholck Supporter

Oddometer:
  11. thetourist

thetourist Just passing thru

Oddometer:
    Fillable toothpaste type tubes, from camping store, with peanut butter and jam.
    Tortillas or Rye Krisp
    Boiled eggs
    Boiled potato or instant potato
    Cans of Chile or stew
    Cheese
    Jar of dry cereal
    dried fruit and nuts
    Tea makin's

From gas stops,,, hot dogs, fruit, cookies
    From Café ,,,veg, pie.
    sieg likes this.
  12. usgser

usgser Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm not a picky eater so it don't get real involved for me. Only thing I "carry" is stuff that keeps like spices, hot sauce, dried fruit, nuts, rice, oatmeal, jerky and a couple dried backpacking meals just in case. I try to hit a grocery store before camping.
  13. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    When my Dad took me to do some Observing for the local trials club (only in winter), we usually took bacon doorstep sandwiches wrapped up in greaseproof paper - no plastic film then.
    If I was willing to prep them cutting out all the tubes, Mum would cook stuffed lambs hearts. Great. Enough protein to last a week.
  14. Okie Preacher

Okie Preacher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Once you eat one of these, you will never eat a Mountain House or Backpacker's Pantry meal again.

http://goodto-go.com/
  15. txtinman

txtinman n00b Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I guess you have to kill your own meat if you take that stuff. :evil
  16. NoVa Rider

NoVa Rider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    H2O. jerky. banana chips.

water + protein + texture + potassium.

Just plain works. . .. :clap

Other folks may have other solutions. But that has worked for me. Recommendation came from an IBA guy/gal. . .. :thumb
  17. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    Tuna/chicken snacks, a ziplock bag with cereal of choice, maybe a can of beans, chilly, or stew. I pretty much always have a can of chicken, tuna, sardines, protein bar, banana with me.
    if I stop at a grocery store I'll get a fresh made to go salad and throw a can of tuna or chicken in with the salad.

The only thing i really cook is trout if I stop somewhere, catch something, and have that for supper. So with my telescopic fishing gear, i'll bring a little flour and foil wrap.
  18. walter23

walter23 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Apparently one of the campgrounds I am considering is overrun with marmots, so that won't be a problem ;)
  19. banjobart

banjobart Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hormel pepperoni, peanuts, Cliff bars and raisins for me.
  20. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    According to the USDA, dry cured slab bacon should last 3 weeks un-refrigerated. Dry cured sliced bacon should last 10 days.

Natural chicken eggs (unwashed) are hermetic and should last 2 months un refrigerated.

Tortillas, mountain house meals, single serving packets of chicken, tuna, and/or spam, lentils, oatmeal, and quinoa are all good options.