For '05 640 Adventure owners... all 200 or so of you.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by creeper, May 16, 2005.

1. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Crisis, we have the EU/AU muffler as makazica shows. Only the yanks get the supertrapp. 'swhy I bought meat popsicle's OEM exhaust. :evil But be thankful because the supertrapp is 1.2kg heavier.
  2. Crisis management

Crisis management Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer:
    Ta Colin, I read in the thread that you had modified yours and assumed that meant mine was modifyable...I should have asked you first! Currently chasing down an SXF muffler from Hamilton which I hope will solve my problem.

Thanks to everyone else for the input, very much appreciated, if you can get to NZ for friday night the beers on me!
  3. dazarooney

dazarooney n00b

Oddometer:
    Yeah mine was the same.
  4. swinterc

swinterc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a 03 640 Adventure and needing to fix the whole starting/running problems.

1. it will not start when cold unless I have the manual decompression pulled or I just need to kick it over. To me it sounds like the cam auto decompression is not working? And how hard is it replace cam or is there another fix to this problem?

2. I let it sit for about a week and a half since last ride and now it would not start at all and once a jumped it I was able to but if I give it any fuel it dies? No idea what this maybe, choke seems to not make much of a difference. But there is plenty of play in the choke cable.

3. The PO removed the snorkel and cut the top of the box. Is it needed to replace the box and snorkel?

4. I also have a far bit of oil coming out the base gasket, does it require removing the motor to fix?

I also live 7000' so jetting is something that I need to figure out.

It seems that there are way more problems with this bike then I was lead on to believe and wondering if i should have just stayed with my old trusty DR, miss the DR but love the KTM suspension. Any help would be greatly appreciated... Or just get another DR and install the suspension on it and sell the rest of the KTM parts?

This is the riding season and hate being down for it...
    Shane
  5. bmwktmbill

bmwktmbill Traveler

Oddometer:
    Pull the carb and clean it, set the float level, check the needle for wear, note the jet sizes.

The base gasket shouldn't leak, how many miles?
    Has the engine been apart?
    You can change the base gasket with the engine in the frame.

Do you need a new battery?
    bill
  6. swinterc

swinterc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well I tore it apart yesterday and it looks like the rocker cover near the water pump is leaking. And as to the carb the PO had a 162.5 main in there and the needle at 4th position, so being at 7000' I installed a 152.5 main and put the clip in 3rd position. I also cut and opened up the the stoke exhaust.

I'm still not sure about the removed snorkel and cut air box. Also anybody have any idea about that auto decop, is it possible to just replace the spring?

Shane
  7. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    if you can adjust the screw while the engine is hot, here is creeper's guidance: