For Baja Travelers

Discussion in 'Americas' started by muddyrabbit, Mar 25, 2012.

1. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    I have carried a selection of OTC drugs (ibu, pepto tabs, lomotil) in a ziplock, and once was questioned at an army checkpoint. I 'splained what it was and they smiled and gave it back, saying adios. Can't say what will happen to you of course...

I also carry cipro but I leave that in the prescription bottle.

The most interest though came from our supply of powdered gatorade. Looked pretty suspicious in a ziplock. One soldier tasted it and started laughing! :lol3

just for the record, I've never needed to take the lomotil or cipro :evil
  2. princess jamaica

princess jamaica OLD DOG-NEW TRICKS

Oddometer:
    +1.They are all available down here as well.Most U.S. prescriptions can be filled here with no problemo.
  3. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    The one thing I would NOT recommend is crossing at Lukeville/Sonoyta and taking MEX 2 following the border to San Luis RC, then heading south to Baja. Way too many trucks and busses, way too much construction, and not a fun road to ride. Last year we came up from San Felipe to San Luis RC and rode MEX 2 over to the Sonoyta/Lukeville crossing. We won't do that again. This year we'll ride San Felipe to Puerto Penasco, spend the night, and cross Sonoyta/Lukeville the next day.

Dave</snip>
  4. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    This thread getting so much action in the middle of an Ohio winter is torture!
  5. cousinbob

cousinbob just one more....

Oddometer:
    Yep-thinking the same thing. thanks again!
  6. twisted-hog

twisted-hog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have a week in Cabo after traveling down from Tecate for relaxation and maintenance on the bike before the trip back.
    Are there bike shops in the Cabo area?
    Puting on new, but who knows I may have worn out a tire or chain by the time I get there?
    Also want to change the oil. I know there is a Walmart and Costco there for the oil and I am bringing my own filter.

There will be 2 of us on KLR's.

Thanks in advance.
  7. Baja Ho

Baja Ho Momentum is your friend

Oddometer:
    Central Coast, CA. USA & Cabo San Lucas, Baja Sur
    There is a Yamaha shop in town but they are almost useless unless you want to buy a bike and nothing over about 250cc. They are on the north end of town on the road to Todos Santos. The other two shops (accessory & parts only) are on the road to the old Cabo airport, Leona Vicario. The one shop immediatly on the right as you enter Vicario and the other one Dezert Moto ( does repair work I think), about a mile farther also on the right just past the dry arroyo. Both have a limited tire selection but they do have Maxxis knobby tires.
  8. HardWorkingDog

HardWorkingDog Super Ordinary

Oddometer:
    Yeah, my advice would be to either bring anything you'll need (tires, chains etc.) or make sure you run parts that will last. The shops in Baja are not anything like you've seen in the US. "Very limited selection" can mean a total of 4-6 tires in the shop. Probably no dual sport tires. May not have a 520 chain. If there's been a race recently, may have no tires at all.
  9. twisted-hog

twisted-hog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got good quality tires lined up ready to throw on so I guess I better get a good quality chain thrown on also :D.

Too much weight to be packing spares of that, but it might fit in wife's suitcase :evil.
  10. zentropa

zentropa Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hey Dave, you don't have to pay for temporary vehicle import using the Lukeville/Sonoyta entry (headed for Baja) do you?
    My wife and I entered via Calexico last year and there was no TVIP requirement.
    I'm not sure if they just ask which direction you are headed, SE or SW and require accordingly or what.
    This year we plan to enter Lukeville/Sonoyta, South to RockyPoint then West to Baja.
    We are going in May and still haven't figured out if we need to stop at Aduana or not.
  11. StmbtDave

StmbtDave AKA Invisible Dave

Oddometer:
    No TVIP required in Baja or in Western Sonora. The line in Sonora is essentially Mex 15 from Nogales south thru Hermosillo to Guaymas. Any travel west of there requires no TVIP. No one will ask, you have the responsibility to know if you need one or not.

Dave
  12. zentropa

zentropa Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Cool, thanks a bunch!
    Looks like that's what Mexicopro is saying too.
    http://www.mexpro.com/mexico/vehicle-import-permit-faqs.html
    Anyway, appreciate the reply.
  13. hwunger

hwunger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    re: "There is a relatively new highway connecting Puerto Penasco with Baja via Golfo de Santa Clara."

yes, heard about that one - word is it gets quite sandy as the strong winds blow the sand over the new highway ... anyone been on it recently ?

much appreciated !
  14. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    Not direct intel but I live in the desert 150 miles or so northwest of there and the wind the last couple weeks has been howling. Several roads in the Palm Springs area were closed and re-opened after lots of sand removal.
  15. cousinbob

cousinbob just one more....

Oddometer:
    Yes-we were through there the week b4 last. Pretty scenic in a desolate sort of way. No issues w/ sand on the road on our trip through and hardly any other traffic.
  16. BRUTSQD

BRUTSQD 2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer:
    Hello there,
    I was just reading through both this thread and the "traveling in mexico" thread and was curious if there was a single thread that simply lists safety incidents? I'm leaving for Baja on the 20th and was trying to see if there's some areas I'm better off avoiding due to high incidence of robbery or other nefarious activities. Thanks for the help!
    -T
  17. DaFoole

DaFoole Well Marbled... Supporter

Oddometer:

No list I know about. Have not heard of any significant problems with any Baja riders of late.

Common sense, mostly. Border towns and big towns are areas you should be alert. Big towns in America are probably a lot more dangerous.

Situational awareness (as always) is about all you need.

Everyone we met was pleasant and helpful. Give respect and you'll get respect.

Our biggest problems revolved around eating/drinking too much and subsequent hangovers....:lol3
  18. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    DaFoole speaks wisely on this.
  19. BRUTSQD

BRUTSQD 2 scoops of stupid

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the nooby question.. Looking at doing a border crossing into Baja next Wed and was curious as to the best crossing between Tecate and TJ? I've read mixed reviews on both in terms of both safety and confusing roads to navigate while trying to find an immigration office. Any info on the latest would be super.
    -T
  20. Scubalong

Scubalong Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tecate is easy and less traffic. However it is close at 11PM
    TJ crossing is easy as well the border have open up over twenty lane. The only issue is the toll road still in repair so you have to take a detour to get to Ensenada. Not sure which direction you head to but Tecate would be best :evil IMO