For Baja Travelers

Discussion in 'Americas' started by muddyrabbit, Mar 25, 2012.

1. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    I personally like Tecate the best. The detour around the land slide at Salsipuedes adds like 15 to 20 min as it takes the "old" or free road to bypass the damage. No big deal really.
  2. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Fall and winter are coming soon in Ohio, and we are planning a February-March trip. Cannot wait to get back to Baja!
  3. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    Worst hurricane to hit the Baja EVER (according to some news sites).
    People of the Baja will need lots of help to recover from the devastation, me thinks.
    Also, the unpaved roads in Baja Sur will surely be demolished to levels not seen before.
  4. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I have been checking in with our friend Shari that runs the B&B in Asuncion. She is up in TJ for a few days, not sure if she left because of the coming storm, or just coincidence. She posted some video of the one last week, which didn't get too bad for them.

I hope everyone stays safe down there, and I'll say a prayer. Extra tourist pesos will help the small mom and pop places recover I'm sure, so plan a trip and do our part!
  5. Cowgirl

Cowgirl I'll ride anything. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about going to Ensenada, probably Sunday or Monday and staying for a day or two. I've never been to Mexico before. I know I need insurance, any other advice? Any suggestions on places to stay? I know about the hurricanes and everything I can find says Ensenada is OK. I'm thinking of crossing at Tijuana southbound and Mexicali northbound (or vice versa).
  6. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Wow, I just checked out the links in your signature! Love, love, love your writing style!

I personally can't offer anything about Ensenada, although I have heard many nice things about it. Our friend Shari who lives in Asuncion travels there to visit family quite often, and enjoys her visits. Now that you mentioned it my wife and I have just been sitting here looking at a map thinking about working Ensenada into our February trip. We have talked about spending a couple of days there before, and kinda overlooked it while planning this trip. Hmm...

So based on your awesome ride reports I'll say 2 things:

1. Do it, just go, Baja is awesome, and after this first dipping of your toe you will want more.
    2. Going to Baja and only going to Ensenada is kinda like going to an upscale brothel just to chat with the receptionist.
    Go, have fun, it will be awesome!!!!
  7. Cowgirl

Oddometer:
    Thank you! I was planning a little loop from Ensenada to San Felipe but I wasn't sure about storm damage. I couldn't find any news reports for San Felipe either and the forecast looks good so I'll probably keep to that plan. Kiki's you say? :D
  8. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Kiki's is very dear to us. We spend a few days there every couple of years, and somehow it feels like a homecoming when we get there.
  9. Cowgirl

Oddometer:
    Word from Kiki's is its all good in San Felipe. The storm didn't come close.
  10. Cowgirl

Oddometer:
    One night in Ensenada, one night in San Felipe, tomorrow I have to start heading home to Canada. I love San Felipe!
  11. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Were Bruce & Eunice from Vancouver there (Kiki's) yet? Kinda early in the season for them I think.

What did you do/stay in Ensenada? We have never been but it looks like Mala Bunny and I are going to spend a few days there during our upcoming trip.
  12. twisted-hog

twisted-hog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where's the pictures? :deal
  13. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    +1, no pics?

Shari in Asuncion reports winds and rain were getting bad last night at Simon approached. They were battening down the hatches again.
  14. Silverfin

Silverfin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On to San Felipe today 2up on the Super Tenere. Where did you stay...we could camp but still pretty hot during the day.

In Ensanada we stayed at Suites Royal Motel....350 pesos for 2 and fine with no AC....cant miss it ...flashing 200 peso sign on the end of Miramar ave near ocean. Looked at 1 other place (Delfine) in Seojds book but it was like a prison. Suites Royal is by the hour as well.....but safe parking for the bike. Includes 1 breakfast for 2 people...enough food though.

15. muddyrabbit

muddyrabbit Lost Boy

Oddometer:
    Kiki's!!!
  16. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    +1

I've camped there which I liked. I have also stayed in one of their motel rooms one night. The rooms were nicer than expected. Very comfortable and good safe bike parking. :thumb
  17. Cowgirl

Oddometer:
    Kiki's is the best. Beachfront and cool campsites. I stayed in a room, it was very comfortable and inexpensive.
  18. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    +whatever on Kiki's though I've never actually stayed there. Ive run into Kiki a couple times while riding around Baja and he always has good Intel. If that doesn't work out, I like staying at El Capitan. It's a 'U' shaped motel that has good security. Far enough off the malecon for quiet but close enough to walk to in a couple minutes.
  19. Colorado Uli

Colorado Uli Must I?

Oddometer:
    I just updated the San Francisquito thread, if anyone wants recent conditions there.
    seasider likes this.
  20. Stillcreek

Stillcreek Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm approaching my first trip to Baja so please excuse my ignorance. What's the recommended protocol for cash, credit cards, travelers checks? American money vs pesos? Would welcome some advice on this.