"For off-road use only"

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by worm~hole1, Jul 20, 2003.

1. worm~hole1

worm~hole1 I'm mentally mortarded.

Oddometer:
    Ok, here's the deal...I kinda' want to mod my bike "for off-road use" only...I want to defeat the side-stand kill switch and remove the Ca. evaporative emissions gear from the bike to simplify the bike "for off-road-use only"...but I don't want to butcher it up cuz' I'll eventually return it to unmodified status once I'm done playing "off-road", ok?..ok

Where do I find the links which illustrate the procedures?

Thanks!
  2. Shazam*

Shazam* Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    you may want to refresh us as to what kind of bike you are talking about...:confused
  3. Ricardo Kuhn

Ricardo Kuhn a.k.a. Mr Rico Suave

Oddometer:
    Yeah I think that will be a good idea,,don't you think..

one observation,,when I'm riding at the DIRT BIKE parks,,I see people that whan to go to a different part of the park ussing a "road" and they need to mount the bikes in the trailer,,that to me is a pain in the butt .

If you have the licence already keep it,,is not like you are going to save a million pounds by taking the turn signals..what you need to do is to install better turn signals like the ones from the old XR hondas,,those thing are so flexible and so strong,is almost impossible to break them ,,not like the stupid GS turn signals that only need to be touch "funny" to colapse in a million pieces:splat
  4. worm~hole1

Oddometer:
    ooops...my bad...03 KLR650...
  5. apeirce

apeirce Two ears, one mouth.

Oddometer:
    Just yank the cannister for good. Do you need to have bikes inspected for emissions? Ditto the side stand switch, why do you want to put it on again?
  6. worm~hole1

Oddometer:
    ...naw...might not want to re-install these things again myself, but just in case IF I ever sell this bike and the new owner wants it back on...I think the safety switch will stay on (in case I ever forget to retract the side stand as I shove off...ouch...hey it happens...never to me so far, I've seen it happen to others), but I'd like to know how to disable it in case it leaves me stranded out there....
  7. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    You only have to watch someone launch a bike once, to think some of those switches have a reason for being, though I lean toward the clutch switch being the "one." Maybe I'm too aware of how absent minded I can be!
  8. Rad

Rad Done riding

Oddometer:
    Ya might want to start look'n here for info

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/6164/klrpage.html

If yur gonna ride off road much, dump'n the emission stuff and removing the side stand kill switch are both good ideas.

The emission removal because when you drop yur bike, yes you will, the canister can/will fill with gas and your bike may not start or run well afterwards.

The side stand can be problematic off road in real rough stuff or jumps because the side stand can bounce up and down cut'n the engine.
  9. worm~hole1

Oddometer:
    :D:D:D...ok, nostradmus...:D:D:D
  10. Loadedagain

Loadedagain making chips

Oddometer:
    laugh now why don't you. it aint gonna be as funny when your trying to drag that thing back up the hill it just slid down :evil i thought i would never drop mine either... hah. that didn't last long.

btw. i jumped my kick switch and removed my charcoal can. no problems yet with me riding off with the stand down.. but i do say YET. ! :):
  11. Team Dennis

Team Dennis Certified Troublemaker

Oddometer:
    How in the hell did we get by 20 years ago when there were no safety over-rides? Oh, I remember. COMMON SENSE. Long before the safety nazi's were here,you learned by doing. Probably explains why there are no clutch/sidestand over-rides, cannisters, push throttle cables on any of my bikes. Accept responsibility,can the crap, and get in the driver seat.
  12. 4Skins

4Skins Johnny to most...

Oddometer:
    Re side stand switch...

I have removed the one from my DR650. I dunno what sort the KLR has but it can only possibly be one of two sorts - a make or a break switch. To find out...

If (like the DR) when the stand is down the switch is closed, then you have nothing further to do but onbolt the switch and can it.

If it's the opposite you'll need to bridge the connectors after removing the switch.

If you have a multimeter you can test the switch. Follow the wires from the switch up to the connector and disconnect it.

Or, even simpler, attempt to start the engine with the switch disconnected. If it runs, you're in business, if it doesn't you need to bridge the contacts.

Hoki Mai?

Attached Files:

13. worm~hole1

Oddometer:
    Thanks, guys! How about the front axle nut torque values...anybody know it? I'm installing the 320mm front rotor upgrade and I don't have my shop manual yet. And also the torque value of the two caliper bolts. Something tells me the adapter bracket is not as hard as the caliper.

I hope to have all the anti-crash anti body damage kits on my bike before I lay it down...I know, I know...its "when":D