1. eNewsletter Sign Up

For the second time this year, Pip was right!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Marc, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Marc

Marc Just sayin...

Oddometer:
    Well, I gotta give credit where credit is due. First, Pip was right about the Etymotic ER-4P headphone (buds?) - those things are unbelievable. Next, he was right about the iPod. I just picked up a 20GB Windows version of the iPod and it's most excellent. The thing is small, easy to use, and works just the way you'd expect. I'm listening to it now and am amazed I didn't get one sooner - except the Windows version and the 20 GB disk weren't available.

So - now that Pip's been right twice in the same year, you can pretty much dismiss whatever he says for the reaminder of 2002. He's used up his quota for the decade! Anyways - thanks to Pip for a most excellent suggestion. iPod rocks!

:thumb :thumb :thumb

M
  2. irisep

irisep Pseudo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Take your Pip, I mean pick...
  3. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    1. A dot indicating a unit of numerical value on dice or dominoes.
    2. To peep or chirp, as a chick does.
    3. A contagious disease of fowls, characterized by hoarseness, discharge from the nostrils and eyes, and an accumulation of mucus in the mouth, forming a ``scale'' on the tongue.
  4. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    A Pep, on the other hand:
    1) Zesty, energetic, vigorous
    2) Short for "George Pepper", denizen of Jo Momma and other ADVRider forums. Known for what some consider eccentric but amusing posts and behavior, "Pep", as he is known online, has been right at least twice in the past year.
    "Pep" is considered harmless. Any connection between sniper shootings in the Maryland/D.C./Virginia area using a .223 rifle is strictly coincidental. Your mileage may vary. Please call before you dig. Do not mix checks and plaids. Close cover before striking. Children should not be left unattended. No pets allowed. No smoking. May feel drowsy ... do not operate heavy machinery. Wear sunscreen. Dangerous curves ahead. Look both ways before crossing. Caution: bridge may be icy. This site in no way connected with or endorsed by Bavarian Motor Works, North America. The following is paid commercial announcement. The views expressed on this program do not necessarily reflect those of management or ownership of this station. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. Objects in mirror closer than they appear. If you have any problems, please contact your authorized BMW motorcycle dealer ...
  5. kdog

kdog Slippery Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey, has anybody tried the Etymotic ER-6's? They $140, as compared to the ER-4's at $299. According to a Newsweek review, they sound about as good, especially in non-studio environments (think bike). The 6's don't cut out as much ambient noise as the 4's, and that may be a good thing on a bike. The 6's still have 15 to 20db of reduction, which is plenty for me. But the larger attraction is that they appear to have a lower profile than the 4's. At least they look that way in the pictures. That would be a good thing for getting your helmet on and off without ripping your ears off.

Here's what the ERP-4's look like:
    [​IMG]

Here are the 6's.
    [​IMG]

Any insight?
  6. Rob Z

Rob Z Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well that problem will be cured once you have that Turbo installed :evil :evil
  7. irisep

irisep Pseudo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have tried the ER4s and honestly found that, at least for riding, they were infereior to the inexpensive Sony earbuds depicted below ($19 at Goodguys). The key to this Sony model is the little extension, which permits them to be inserted directly into your ears, just like your earplugs. They also stay in your ears when donning and removing your helmet, and have great sound quality, even when there's alot of turbulence. In effect, they're my answer to the GS' crappy wind protection!
    One word of caution: Once, at a CHP traffic stop on the Coast Hwy. (a production company was filming a movie--your tax dollars at work), the bored officer dawdled over and queried about the wire hanging from my helmet. Oh fuck! I couldn't hear his question because I was listeneing to the new (at that time) "Jar of Flies" CD by Alice in Chains. I thought he asked how I was doing, "Fine," I replied, which is exactly what he threatened to do after he directed me to pull over on the shoulder. Apparently, it is illegal to wear them in California, and he said (but I have never verfied) that it is even illegal to wear plain old earplugs when riding in the Golden State. Who knew? Good luck bro.
  8. mleir

mleir Evil Doer

Oddometer:
    Its illegal to wear more than one ear phone or plug at a time in or on a motor vehicle in the state of Minnesota. I assume its the same in most states. Not gonna stop wearing them.
  9. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    VEHICLE CODE
    SECTION 27400

27400. No person operating any motor vehicle or bicycle shall wear
    any headset covering, or any earplugs in, both ears. The prohibition
    of this section does not apply to any of the following:
    (a) Persons operating authorized emergency vehicles, as defined in
    Section 165.
    (b) Any person engaged in the operation of either special
    construction equipment or equipment for use in the maintenance of any
    highway.
    (c) Any person engaged in the operation of refuse collection
    equipment who is wearing a safety headset or safety earplugs.
    (d) Any person wearing personal hearing protectors in the form of
    custom earplugs or molds that are designed to attenuate injurious
    noise levels. The custom plugs or molds shall be designed in a
    manner so as to not inhibit the wearer's ability to hear a siren or
    horn from an emergency vehicle or a horn from another motor vehicle.

(e) Any person using a prosthetic device which aids the hard of
    hearing.
  10. irisep

irisep Pseudo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Based on the above-quoted section of the California Vehicle and Traffic Code, I guess I would have beaten that ticket. My Sony earphones (depicted in my prior post) are certainly not "headsets covering both ears,":dj and the definition of "earplug" is "a protective device for insertion into the opening of the ear." (MWOD). :ear Based on the volume of the music being played, the Sony earphones were certainly not protecting anything, especially my hearing. So, while protective earplugs are a statutory no-no, insertion type earphones seem to beat the statute on a technicality. I knew three years of law school would pay off some day.
    :evil
  11. RockyRaccoon

RockyRaccoon Found:Gideon's Bible

Oddometer:
    :rofl :rofl :rofl Well told