For those of you who thought I was crazy...

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by JamesJWeg, Jul 18, 2004.

1. JamesJWeg

JamesJWeg "Speedy"

Oddometer:
    Now you know. All during THIS RIDE I kept thinking, hmmm, I could do this on the CBR. Well, yesterday I bought a new set of Scott goggles, and today I just had to go try them so there was just one thing to do...... Yup DS the Sport bike :huh . Not being in a very picture taking mood I don't have too many to show of the event. When I arrived at the trail head for Cedar Springs OHV trail there was one truck which appeared to have unloaded a 4-wheeler, and a nice truck/enclosed trailer rig which was unloading Pa and the two boys, pa riding a Yammy TTR250 leaving an 80 and a 50 for the boys. I stopped by to say hi and found out that he had never been on this trail before. After the brief chat I headed over to the pay station to pay my money.

[​IMG]

One look in the mirror revealed that he really was not believing his eyes at the sight of me on my squidly CBR

[​IMG]

sitting at the pay station. I rolled on over towards the trail head and just as I was about to loose sight of the unloading area I did one more mirror check only to see a totally unmasked :eek1 look on his face. After about 100 feet I realized that this was not gonna be easy, it had rained and the Carolina red clay was good and slick. I found that I was not able to make the time I had on the RT as the mud and Sportbike handling resulted in a LOT of :eek1 moments as the front end decided to travel in a line which I did not chose. All was going fairly well until I arrived at the hill seen in THIS PIC from my trip on Friday. As I approached the hill I built up all the forward speed I could muster only to grind to a spinning stop about 25% up the hill. The look on my face quickly went from :scratch to :eek2 when I started to slide backwards down the hill, motor screaming out at 10,000 + RPM, mud flying everywhere, feet flailing to the sides, I gather speed.... backwards, I somehow arrive back at the bottom still upright :huh , I have no idea how I managed that. A few moments contemplating and I decide to have another go at it while walking (more like paddling as it proves to be) along beside. So I step off and give it a go, this time the motor is only roaring along at about 6,000 RPM as I flail along side, I am not sure which covered more ground, the rear tire, or my feet. As I am nearing half way up I loose footing with both feet at once resulting in a slide back down about 10 feet of the hill.... on my knees...... still attempting to hold up the bike, when burning rubber and thrashing feet finally win over gravity again I am returning the bike to a more upright position, as the mirror passes by I catch a glimpse of the kid on the 80 coming into view. Well they got quite the view as I struggled the rest of the way somewhat uneventfully up the hill. Soon after reaching the top testosterone and male ego kicked in, not wanting to be passed by a kid on an 80, or 50 for that matter, I covered the next mile or so at a speed which approached insanity given the conditions. Reaching the 2.5 mile marker as seen in the other report I stopped for a breather. Shortly the threesome arrived, pa agreed to snap this pic for me, as he was commenting about the challenges associated with my chosen ride of the day.

[​IMG]

His TT-R 250 can be seen in the pic. After politely letting them pass :deal I collect my battered parts and continue on. About a half mile later I arrive at the fateful location from my adventures on Friday, and being somewhat wiser (maybe) I choose another line, this time I make it through without a snag. I now find my self in the rocky part of the trail and quickly deduce from some rather disturbing sounds that the CBR does not have as much ground clearance as the RT, however, the amount of momentum at the time :evil proves to be greater than that of the exhaust VS the rocks. A few more painful moments and I arrive and the first road crossing. I stop

[​IMG]

and find that I am completely devoid of refreshment.

[​IMG]

A look at the trail markings reveals that I have covered 5.4 hair raising miles of trail

[​IMG]

the 9.4 is what my mileage would be at this same point *should* I choose to complete the remainder of the trail. Not a snow balls chance in July. As I rest and contemplate the meaning of life, Pa and his two boys pass by again, we speak and I learn that he lives rather near me. But as I tell him that I have made a down payment on a KTM 520sx and ask about info on enduro's which he rides in, I sense a little hesitation with giving up the info. Hmmm maybe the thought of seeing me atop a 520sx on the same starting line with him does not set well. :evil

So
    [​IMG]

to YFF's who think you are a badazz on your GS on a fire road, and

[​IMG]

to the azzwipes that talk shat about me when I am on the sportbike.

The rest of the pics can be seen HERE .

:freaky

James.
  2. JamesJWeg

JamesJWeg "Speedy"

Oddometer:
    PS, At lunch after the ride I opened my fortune cookie to find this.

[​IMG]

:evil

James.
  3. Slaniac

Slaniac Martini elbow

Oddometer:
    New adventures??? Coming to Ouray?