For those running a raid designs fairing on their SE - upgrades?

Discussion in 'Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)' started by alongat, Jul 14, 2018.

1. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    For those of your running a Raid Designs marathon fairing on your SE:
    1- would there be interest in a speedo housing that can also accommodate things like a voltage gauge / USB port / switch buttons? I'm designing a housing for the speedo and can make room for those who want these switches / ports in the same spot
    2- would there be interest in running the Ktm rally screen (the clear rally screen) using your existing Raid tower to freshen / modernise the look of the kit? This would use an OEM Ktm rally screen and headlight guard with slightly different side panels to mate onto your current Raid kit the same way it attaches now

#1 could be ready and available within two weeks
    #2 will be ready in September
  2. DistortedAxis

DistortedAxis GO

Oddometer:
    Interested In both.

Target Cost?
  3. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    1- cheap - looking to make them from 3D printed ABS
    2- who knows at this point but I'm working closely with David P to make this a reality
  4. DistortedAxis

DistortedAxis GO

Oddometer:
    Can I leave you with a suggestion, for this project?

When you redesign the faring please leave room or incorporate a cutout for an oil cooler if possible.

Will this use the existing kit lighting or will you be supplying lights?
  5. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Assuming you think the best spot for an oil cooler is up there somewhere then yes, I'd try but that won't be a priority for most people and given its size, it would be nice to keep the rally screen as low as possible. Most of us don't like looking through a screen and most of us don't want to hit it with our faces when things go wrong off-road. It will be designed to use the lighting that the raid marathon uses though you know I don't have those lights...
  6. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    The raid designs fairing needs total re-design imho.
    The aerodynamics are just awful for sitting down riding.
  7. alongat

alongat Fesh Fesh

Oddometer:
    Tell us how you really feel :)
  8. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I chopped off something like 20cm from the fairing in order to make it work on the highway. Thats how I feel, lol.
    The rally look is fine, so is its functionality when you are standing up. But it would be nice to have also something that works when traveling.
    I am planning when I get some time during the winter to alter the aluminum subframe so that I can fit a stock adv windscreen at a suitably inclined position. Aerodynamics and vertical windscreens are a marriage made in hell. Also, I prefer the minimalistic approach of the 790 nose, just the tower, no side plastics at all.
    DC950 likes this.