For West is where we all plan to go some day

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Jedi5150, May 20, 2019.

1. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    I'll take a brief break from the ride reports for just a few fun photos:

Carmel Valley:

[​IMG]

Sharing the road:

[​IMG]

Sunbathing... This is my current bike, which I've been riding for the last 3 years. She's a keeper. This shot was taken when I was installing the Altrider skid plate. Other modifications I've done are; Altrider crash bars, Touratech panniers and pannier racks, BMW OEM Adventure top case and top case rack, Corbin seat, extended hand protectors (can't recall the make....Touratech maybe), and not shown in the photo are a pair of ADV designs folding highway pegs. GSA windshield, headlight cover, etc.

[​IMG]

Here's a better picture of her:

[​IMG]
    mb300 and BigDogRaven like this.
  2. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    The Pacific Northwest: 2012 (Part 1)

Day 1
    Tuesday 10-16-12
    Monterey, CA to Yakima, WA
    802 miles

Up until this point, the only parts of Oregon and Washington I'd previously seen was a ride to Crater Lake, Oregon and back, and a little bit of Seattle on a one day flight there. For quite a while I'd wanted to get a better feel for the two states north of me, and in October of 2012, I got my chance.

Originally I'd planned on doing an Iron Butt "Saddle Sore 1000" from where I live in Monterey, CA, to the Canadian border, on I-5 (1,017 miles). The only previous "official" iron butt ride I'd done was a SS1000 where I rode from Monterey to Crater Lake and back in 19 hours. Due to weather forecast of rain on the west side of the Cascades, I changed my plan. Thanks to the suggestion of forum members in the PNW section, I decided to ride up the 97 instead, and stay drier on the eastern side of the Cascades. I also thought this would be fun because I'd never been further north on the dry side than Klamath Falls.

I left at 8:00 AM and headed north, taking Hwy 101, to 680 north, to 80 east, to 505 north, to the 5 north as far as Weed, CA. From Weed I got on the 97 and stayed there all the way to Yakima, WA.

Filling up in Vacaville, CA:
    [​IMG]

After watching, "Long Way Down", I'd laughed at a comment made by Ewan McGregor. He said, "I end up coming back from these trips with 350 photos of my motorbike with slightly different backgrounds." :lol3 The same applies to the trips I go on, so apologies in advance, but you're about to get your fill of R1200GS photos.

I know a lot of folks don't particularly like the superslabs (the big interstate highways). I'm not in this group. I never get tired of riding through miles of open desert between Reno and Salt Lake City on I-80, for example. Even so, I'll be the first to admit that the I-5 through the San Joaquin Valley is monotonous and ugly. But from around Redding northward, I loved every minute of it. My first view of Mt. Shasta, from the I-5 just north of Redding:

[​IMG]

At 14,179 feet (4,322m) tall, Mount Shasta is the second highest peak in the Cascades. For those not familiar with the Cascades, it is a mountain range of volcanic peaks that extend from Mt. Lassen, in California, to the Nicola and Thompson Rivers, in British Columbia (thanks Wiki!). After spending quite a bit of time in the Canadian Rockies and the Sierra Nevada in California, the Cascades have a very different feel to them. The Sierras and Rockies have the typical "mountain range" topography, with a bunch of long crestlines going for hundreds of miles. The Cascades on the other hand, have a series of volcanic peaks that often rise over a mile above the surrounding peaks. This next photo was taken just north-east of Weed, CA, looking south at Mount Shasta.

"When I first caught sight of it over the braided folds of the Sacramento Valley, I was fifty miles away and afoot, alone and weary. Yet all my blood turned to wine, and I have not been weary since" -John Muir

[​IMG]

Back on I-5, just north of Lake Shasta, you come across Castle Crags. This was the site of the "Battle of Castle Crags" in 1855, between gold rush miners and the local Native Americans.

[​IMG]

I enjoyed the scenery on 97 between Weed and Bend, OR. Unfortunately, it was dark by the time I reached Bend, so I really didn't get to see what it looked like...or any of Washington for that matter. I'd really hoped to see what the Columbia River Gorge looked like, but all I remember of it was a very cool bridge with black expanses to the left and right. I got gas in Goldendale, WA, and the gas station attendant told me to watch out for deer while going through the Yakima Indian Reservation. He wasn't joking. Within a 2 mile stretch outside of Goldendale, I saw two dead deer on the highway. I stayed under the speed limit all the way to Yakima and thankfully didn't see any more deer.

Next.....Day 2
    pratered and BigDogRaven like this.
  3. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    The Pacific Northwest: 2012 (Part 2)

Day 2
    Wednesday, 10-17-12
    Yakima, WA to Port Townsend, WA
    total miles= ???

It was chilly when I woke up in Yakima, but the sun was trying to peek through the clouds. My first view of Washington east of the Cascades was outside my hotel room window:

[​IMG]

North of Yakima, on Hwy 82, I started getting a feel for Central Washington. I wasn't really surprised, it is almost exactly as I'd pictured it. Once you get east of the Cascades, Oregon and Washington are your typical high desert. This next photo could just as easily have been taken on any number of Nevada highways as on Hwy 82 in Washington:

[​IMG]

Along Highway 90, between Cle Elum and North Bend, the Cascades really come alive. Snoqualmie Pass had received a fresh dusting of snow the night before:

[​IMG]

After stopping in and visiting Petra, Shannon, and the good folks at Hilleberg Tents, in Redmond, I went to the world famous Pike Place Market in Seattle. Having been to the market once before, in a rental car, I knew that parking could be a pain. I wanted to keep the bike and expensive camping gear close at hand. The closest parking is a few blocks away, in paid parking lots. I had Googled motorcycle parking for the market a couple days earlier and came across a little gem of information. Someone had let out the secret that right at the north entrance to the market, there are two un-marked motorcycle parking slots, for free. When I arrived, I found the two slots I'd read about, and one was already occupied by a BMW F650GS. As I was parking in the other slot, the 650GS owner came out and started up a conversations. It turns out he has a large stable of motorcycles and is a fellow long-distance riding enthusiast (Iron Butt Association member):

[​IMG]

He asked where I planned on visiting while in Seattle, and I told him I was heading out towards Port Angeles and the Olympic Peninsula. He suggested I check out Port Townsend, and I happily took him up on the suggestion.

I ate lunch at a little cheese shop just across the street from the market, "Beechers". At the suggestion of my brother, Alex, I got a cup of their mac and cheese, and it was every bit as good as he'd described. I think they put a little cayenne pepper in their mac'n'cheese, to give it a little oomph. Whatever it is, it works. My mouth waters every time I think about Beechers. And you can't go to Pike Place Market and not buy some fresh smoked salmon, so that was the next stop:

[​IMG]

Wanting time to experience my first ferry crossing, I decided to take the longer route to Bremerton. I didn't stop to consider that the ferries come and go at scheduled times, and I couldn't have gotten luckier. Within 5 minutes of arriving at the ferry terminal, our boat showed up. And it's true what they say...motorcycles go to the front of the line:evil:

[​IMG]

The Bainbridge Island ferry was also arriving as we loaded onboard for Bremerton:

[​IMG]

The ferry offered some great views of the city of Seattle. I'd been re-reading a series of fantasy novels by Terry Brooks. The series was set in a post-apocalyptic world, where zombie-like creatures and demons roam the war torn cities. Safeco Field, in Seattle, had become a fortress-like compound where the few remaining human survivors held out against the evil horde. It was fun seeing the sports arena in real life to put a better mental picture for the novel setting (Safeco is the one on the right, Seahawks Stadium is on the left):

[​IMG]

Downtown Seattle:

[​IMG]

And the Spaceneedle.

[​IMG]

Our vehicles were down in the hold. I noticed that some folks stayed in their cars the whole time. Probably a boring daily commute for them, but for me, it was a great exploration, and I couldn't miss a second of it. It's funny how perspective changes like that when you live in an area.

[​IMG]

Mount Rainier is the tallest mountain in the Cascades (14,411 feet), and the most topographically prominent (or "autonomous height") mountain in the continental 48 states (thanks again Wikipedia :lol3). This basically means that it is taller compared to the surrounding terrain than anywhere in the lower 48 states. This next photo is looking south on Puget Sound, with Rainier, nearly 60 miles away, rising into the clouds just left of the tanker:

[​IMG]

From the same spot looking west across the sound, the mountains of Olympic Peninsula were visible:

[​IMG]

Ships passing in the night (or at least the afternoon). This gentleman spent the better part of the crossing out on the deck, enjoying the scenery like I was:

[​IMG]

Pulling into Bremerton, we readied for launch off the ferry. As soon as you leave the ferry you go through an "S" shaped tunnel to get into the town itself. With all the motorcycles being allowed to leave in front of the cars, this S-tunnel makes for a fun impromptu speedway...which pretty much all the motorcyclists take advantage of. Unfortunately I have no photos of the tunnel...they could be used as incriminating evidence and more importantly, I was too busy to hold a camera at the time. :lol3

[​IMG]

Apologies for the poor photo, but by evening I'd arrived at my destination for the night, in Port Townsend,WA. On the recommendation of a fellow ADVrider who I met on the ferry, I had dinner (lasagne) at the Pizza Factory. It was very good:

[​IMG]

I finally arrived at Fort Worden State Park, in Port Townsend, and set up camp. The inside of my Hilleberg Saivo tent...home sweet home for the night:

[​IMG]

Next up, day 3...

pike and pratered like this.
  4. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    The Pacific Northwest: 2012 (Part 3)

Day 3
    Thursday, 10-18-12
    Port Townsend, WA to Eugene, OR
    Total miles= ???

For $28 dollars a night, the Fort Worden State Park campground was the most expensive state park I'd ever stayed at, up until that point. They had camp sites up in the hills, where I stayed, as well as some right on the beach. Although the campground itself is in a beautiful area, the sites leave a lot to be desired. The ground is way too rocky to get stakes to go in well, and the sites are close together with zero privacy. In fact each two campsites share a driveway. If someone was camping in the site next to yours you could practically ask them to pass the salt without them having to get up from their picnic table. I'm glad I was here in the off-season.

[​IMG]

Fort Worden was an active US Army base from 1902 until 1953, and built to guard the Strait of Juan de Fuca:

[​IMG]

The fort had many gun emplacements, both on "Artillery Hill", and down on the beach. I went exploring the latter, and checked out the Kinzi Battery:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On top of the 3 story tall gun battery, looking west out towards the Pacific:

[​IMG]

And east, towards Seattle:

[​IMG]

Looking north, towards British Columbia, out of the "control room":

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You are HERE:

[​IMG]

After leaving Port Townsend, I hooked up with the 101 heading west, along the upper edge of the Olympic Peninsula. I started to hit the first rain of the trip just outside of Port Angeles:

[​IMG]

I arrived at Lake Crescent only to see that the road was closed, and would require a lengthy detour to get around towards Forks or Cape Flattery. I drove down a little dirt access road to the east side of Lake Crescent long enough to snap a picture. The rain was really starting to come down at this point.

[​IMG]

Being the intelligent guy that I am, I figured what better way to get out of the nasty weather than by taking a ride up "Hurricane Ridge"...:lol3 The road was awesome for motorcycling, even in the rain. But once at the top and up in the clouds, I couldn't see anything but driving wind and rain:

[​IMG]

The view out of the visitor's center was equally impressive...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When I finished a snack and came out of the visitors center to leave, I saw a raven sitting on my tankbag, doing everything he could to get at any possible goodies inside. I laughed as I ran across the parking lot towards the bike because he looked up and started pecking away with even more frustration. He nearly had my map pouch off the tankbag by the time I got to the bike and shooed him away.

The ride back down Hurricane Ridge Road was just as impressive as the ride up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mountains growing out of the clouds:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After coming back into Port Angeles, I was cold to the bone and pretty wet (my rainpants were not effective). I decided to head south and inland, taking the 101 towards Olympia. Highway 101 along the Hood Canal between Discovery Bay and Olympia was outstanding. Too much fun in the twisties running right along the waters edge to slow down and take a photo. I did turn in on a whim to check out Lake Cushman, west of Hoodsport, and I'm glad I did:

[​IMG]

From Olympia, I rode south on the I-5 to Eugene, where I spent the night warming up and drying off in the Garden Hilton. After 10 years, 76,000 miles, one massive crash, two broken zippers, and a "waterproof liner" that no longer stopped rain, I'd decided my BMW "Boulder" jacket had had a good life. The previous day I'd replaced it at the Fife BMW dealership with my new Rallye 3 jacket. The old and new sitting on the bed in Eugene, OR:

[​IMG]

Next, day 4...

Roqon, pratered and BigDogRaven like this.
  5. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    The Pacific Northwest: 2012 (Part 4- Finale)

Day 4
    Friday, 10-19-12
    Eugene, OR to Monterey, CA
    688 Miles

It was raining when I left Eugene the following morning. Instead of staying on the I-5 to head home, I decided to swing by Crescent City, on the coast, and take the 101 from there. I'd been to the northern CA coast a number of times and never gotten tired of it, however, I'd never taken 199 all the way from Crescent City to Grants Pass (or vice versa). This would be the perfect opportunity for it.

Somewhere along the I-5 between Eugene and Grants Pass, OR:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In Grants Pass I got off the I-5 and headed towards the 199. At the gas station I met up with a gentleman who had just bought a KLR650 in Seattle. He was coming from Seattle and taking the same route south as I was, although he was actually taking the scenic route back to Colorado, via San Francisco. Hwy 199 proved to be the great highway that it was alleged to be, and was worthy of it's respect among motorcyclists. Just outside Crescent City, as I entered the redwoods, I stopped to snap some pictures. For the next couple shots, I tried to duplicate photos I'd taken on the trip in 2007, which I told about previously. I'll include the old photos for comparisson. Looking out over the Smith River, near Jedediah Smith Redwoods State Park:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Return of the Jedi was shot less than 2 miles from where these pictures were taken. But here I am, an Imperial biker scout.

[​IMG]

Some elk in a meadow along Hwy 101 near Orick, CA:

[​IMG]

My last touristy spot for the adventure was in Arcata, CA:

[​IMG]

The historic Hotel Arcata was made in 1915, where visitors arriving by rail or steamer could stay for $1 a night, or $2 a night if they prefered a room with a bath. In 1920 the Redwood Highway (now Hwy 101) was completed and made the town much more accessible:

[​IMG]

Because of only having a few days, it left me with a whole lot of places I still wanted like to explore, including more details expeditions in some of the areas I already saw. The PNW sunk it's claws in deep, and I would make many more trips there in the coming years.

6. frizzen

frizzen Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful pix.
    Jedi5150 likes this.
  7. BigDogRaven

BigDogRaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have always had an interest in the Iron Butt world, never took the plunge tho. I really dont like night riding. I have left very early in the morning on big trips, but the night riding thing is not for me. Hats off for the SS1000.
    I too have been drawn to the Redwoods/PNW. Yet to venture further N then Crater Lake so far. BC and maybe AK is on my list. WA I know has some great MC roads. I have done 199 out of Cressent City once, need to get back there.
    Looking forward to more. Thx for posting these!
    Jedi5150 likes this.
  8. wetwider

wetwider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow, thanks for the ride, especially the many photos I was too impatient to take on fondly-remembered ramblings over much of those territories. You're right about taking the time to shoot 'em - I'm going to try that. Or to find the patience & dicipline to stop & shoot so l can see where I was when the memory's gone. Meanwhile your pics are treasures!
    Next time you ride Nevada's U.S. 50, try a fine detour - Hwy. 722 west of Austin. West-bound, it's a left west of town, a little boring for a few miles, then really nice, no traffic, the dry lake of Smith Creek on the right, large unspoiled ranches both sides, winding road through canyons along a river, elevation changes... . And back to U.S.50 some 40 or 50 miles later not far from a good ol' western bar/cafe/cabins left at the next intersection of note in a couple miles. Haven't seen inside a cabin there but the rest has been fine.
    Lookin' forward to more of yours!
    Jedi5150 likes this.
  9. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the compliments, guys! This has been a time consuming, but very fun project for me, and I've barely scratched the surface. Lots more to come. :)

BDR, I can't recommend the PNW highly enough. Just soooo many "once in a lifetime" rides to be had up there. This was the first PNW report I've put into the thread, but it definitely isn't the last (haha), and each time I went, I experienced new things and places, so you're in for some fun ideas coming up shortly. :wink: And in interests of full disclosure, I'm not a member of the Iron Butt Association. I've done several days that were over 1000 miles, and one of those (Monterey-Crater Lake and back) I even filled out the forms and kept all my receipts. I just never got around to sending all the paperwork in. That's why I put "official" in quotes when I mentioned the Iron Butt SS1000. One day I'd like to do one and actually register.

I appreciate the head's up on the detour on 50! I will definitely give that a shot, it sounds awesome.
  10. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    You had me at "For West . . . "
    In for the long haul on this one; so much good stuff!
    Jedi5150 likes this.
  11. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Overland Expo: 2013 (Part 1)

"You don't travel to see different things, You travel to see things differently" - A quote on the door of the "Cornwall2Capehorn" Landrover.

[​IMG]

In May of 2013, Dan ("Route Boss") and I set off on our first journey to Overland Expo West, held at Mormon Lake, just outside Flagstaff, AZ. Neither of us had been to the event before, and it was a great experience. The first two days were short on pretty scenery. We got on the 58 in Bakersfield, and followed it as it turned into the 40, which we took the rest of the way to Flagstaff, stopping to camp overnight in a parking lot in Needles. Apologies in advance to anyone who lives along Hwy 58 or Hwy 40, between the San Joaquin Valley and Flagstaff, but I have one word to describe that entire several-hundred mile stretch...Yuck! I mentioned previously that my brother finds I-80 through Nevada as being the absence of scenery...well that is exactly how I'd describe the 58/40 route. Hot, dry, boring, without even the pretty open spaces or interesting mountain ranges of central and northern Nevada. It's just kind of a drudgery that you have to grind out, in order to get to more scenic places on either end. OK, I'll get off my soapbox now. All of that was a way of saying I have no photos of the first two days.

Mormon Lake is a wide, mostly dry lake bed surrounded by conifer forests. It's quite pretty in my opinion, as are all the areas surrounding Flagstaff. I've been to Flagstaff a few times now, and I never get tired of it. The Hilleberg "Tarra" tent was my home away from home.

[​IMG]

Whoops. I need to recant my statement for a minute... In looking back over my photos from the ride, I did take a few photos on Day 2. The long stretch on 58 and 40 evidently gave me so much PTSD (haha) that I erased even the good parts from my mind. Just after entering Arizona, we took a detour to check out the semi-ghost town of Oatman. Oatman is in a picturesque desert canyon, and has som great history behind it. Here Route Boss pretends to be a gunfighter at high noon...

[​IMG]

Smiling has been known to break cameras, so Dan and I avoided it at all costs for this next shot...

[​IMG]

You know you're in a desert when air conditioning gets top billing over "Navajo Tacos"...

[​IMG]

Look at all that dust on my bike...you'd think a Starbucks parking lot had been under construction or something...

[​IMG]

And I'll leave it on this next shot for now. This wasn't my bike or tent, but I thought it made a fun memory of the event, with Mormon "Lake" in the background.

[​IMG]

Continued...
  12. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Thanks StaticPort! :D Glad to have you joining us.
  13. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Overland Expo: 2013 (Part 2)

[​IMG]

I can't take credit for the above photo, all I did was edit it. During the weekend of Overland Expo, I took part in a 2-day motorcycle off-road class. They offered two versions of it, one was a paid deal, where they took you out on trail rides, gave you food and lodging, etc. The version I did was a free course, and took place entirely at a horse arena on sight. But I have to say, it was phenomenal! I'm not ashamed to admit, I was a complete noob rider on the dirt. I still am, but at least after that 2 day course, I had some of the basics down, which have helped immensely over the years. I'd been doing many things completely backwards on dirt roads prior to that weekend, that I have now corrected.

The photos you'll see that I'm in were taken by Kali, the wife of one of the riders in our instruction group. She sent me these photos, along with permission to post them, which was very generous of her (Thanks Kali!). My bike and I are on the far left in this next shot. We're all taking instruction from Shawn Thomas (second from right), who is now a little bit famous, as he is the "ambassador" for BMW Motorrad. Shawn can be seen explaining BMW's products in many online videos. Prior to this Overland Expo in 2013, I'd purchased one of my bikes from Shawn when he was the head of sales at Santa Cruz BMW, before it shut down.

[​IMG]

This next shot I took of one of my classmates. I have to apologize, a number of the photos in this Overland Expo ride have my obnoxious watermark on them. I'm embarrassed to say I went through a watermark period in my life, that I'm trying to forget. :lol3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With so many great forest service roads right around Mormon Lake, it was impossible not to do some exploring. After all, I had to put my newly learned "skills" to use. Dan and I went on a ride with our next-door-tent neighbor, Dave, who is a social worker from Nelson, British Columbia (on the left in this shot). The forest we rode through was mostly conifer, but with some beautiful aspen groves.

[​IMG]

And another ride I went on with two of my "classmates", Dawn from New York, and Art from Arizona. If my face looks particularly filthy, it's because I'd just been munching dirt from a flight over the handlebars (OK...so I hadn't completely mastered my new "skills"). Luckily, no real damage other than my ego and a small dent on my gas tank. But it did make me ride a bit more carefully, when I had the epiphany that my bike was necessary to get me back to California.

[​IMG]

Of course I had to get a shot of Simon and Lisa Thomas' bikes. If you don't know who they are, give yourself 20 lashes (and possibly a keelhaul).

[​IMG]

And a nighttime shot of my bike and tent. I'd never tried night photography, but when I saw one of our other tent-neighbors, Tom, doing a similar shot, I asked him for guidance. Tom is an excellent photographer on the side, and his full time job was as a test-pilot in New Mexico, and a former USAF fighter jock. He told me to set my exposure to 30 seconds, and here are the results...

[​IMG]

Continued...
    TownPump, BigDogRaven and pratered like this.
  14. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Overland Expo: 2013 (Part 3- Finale)

Of course not all shots at OX can be of motorcycles. There were some pretty cool cages as well...

[​IMG]

Landrover had a driving course, free of charge, so I got to play around in one of their new small SUV's.

[​IMG]

This guy packs the same amount of gear as I put on my bike for a weekend ride...

[​IMG]

Shameless (free) advertising for BMW...

[​IMG]

All good things must come to and end, and soon it was time for us to start heading home. But the route we took home was far superior. Here Dan gives a near camera-breaking grin, in Mable Canyon, Arizona, along Hwy 89A, just about to cross the Colorado River. In hindsight, I think it is hilarious how close we went to the Grand Canyon, without stopping there. I'd never been, and we literally rode right past it. I'm sure there was a good reason why at the time, but sitting here 6 years later, I'm drawing a blank. Luckily, the Grand Canyon was crossed off my "to do" list on a later ride (more later on that).

[​IMG]

Backtracking a bit, this next photo is of Dan on the highway just north of Mormon Lake. Flagstaff is in the forest in the distance.

[​IMG]

Dan and I rode in through the "back" entrance of Zion National Park, in Utah. Just prior to crossing into Utah, our path took us up into a refreshing forest of pines, which was in stark contrast to the desert on either side of it. At the top of the range we came across a tiny stop called, "Jacob Lake", where we ate dinner before pushing on. After emerging from the mile-long tunnel on the East entrance to Zion, we hit the gorgeous rock formations that the Park is famous for.

[​IMG]

We arrived in Zion NP in plenty of time to do a bit of hiking and exploring. This is a shot looking up out of the bowl at "The Grotto".

[​IMG]

We camped that night just outside of the West entrance to the park. On the way back to Tahoe, we took Utah route 21. Here Dan is exploring an abandoned farmhouse, just prior to the nevada state line.

[​IMG]

And another view of Hwy 21. We passed 4 cars in 3 hours...

[​IMG]

Somewhere west of Eureka, NV, along I-50...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a long day in the saddle, we made it to our destination in Lake Tahoe. The final day home went nearly without incident. When we pulled off at a "scenic" overlook on I-5, south of Tracy, Dan noticed a decent size chunk missing from his rear tire. That could have gone bad. He was able to limp it home to the central coast.

[​IMG]

And to end this journey on a high note; here's a shot Dan took of me on the sand dune road just east of Fallon, NV. You may recall a similar shot I took years earlier in the same place.

[​IMG]
  15. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    have you ridden that road between Weed and the Coast? I think it is the same area that is notorious for drugs and crime... Homboldt County? Pretty area, cool road, VERY weird people... I actually stopped and loaded and stuck in my pocket some insurance... figured better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6... definitely would not recommend straying off the main road!!

upload_2019-5-25_18-35-11.png
    Jedi5150 likes this.
  16. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Ha! I can’t say I blame you. We refer to areas like that as, “banjo country”. And to answer your question, no. Basically, 199 and 36 are the only two roads I’ve taken that connect the I-5 with the coast, north of Santa Rosa.

I was just checking out google maps, and the 96/ 299 route looks fun to try. Is that the road you were talking about, or do you mean something even smaller?
  17. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was a follower on this trip... but I believe it was the Bald Hills Road...we went through Callahan and I remember ending up in Orick and we visited with local FD and SO folks (they were having a fund raiser, selling hamburgers) and they said it was not a road to be on at night... and yeah I think they called it Banjo Country too LOL

upload_2019-5-25_21-31-19.png
    Jedi5150 likes this.
  18. kojack06

kojack06 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for this great report! Nice trip back memory lane for me. I spent a big chunk of my 20s stationed at Fort Lewis in the early to mid 80s and was reassigned to I Corps in the early 90s. Miss the area but not the politics. I came to love the other side of the Cascade Range even more.
    Jedi5150 likes this.
  19. BigDogRaven

BigDogRaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Phoenix101 might be referring to Gazelle-Callahan Rd, just west of Weed. Great road, takes you Callahan at CA 3. Then West again on Callahan Rd (this may be one of the best MC roads in all of NorCal IMO), In Callahan it turns into Salmon River Rd, very goaty, but paved. Will connect to CA 96, another great roads. I have a couple videos of these if anyone is interested I can post.
    Jedi5150 and Phoenix101 like this.
  20. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think Big Dog is correct
    Jedi5150 likes this.