For West is where we all plan to go some day

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Jedi5150, May 20, 2019.

1. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:

Thanks for the kind words, Kojack! I'm glad you are enjoying it, and thank you for your service to our country. :1drink Some of the reports I have coming up will focus more on the dry side of the Cascades.

Thanks for the explanation. I sure wouldn't mind you posting the vids to that route, and I bet others would love to see them as well. :D
  2. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Oregon in October: 2013 (Part 1)

[​IMG]

This next ride report will be brief, as the trip itself was only a few days. I wanted to get some landscape photos of Crater Lake and the surrounding areas. I honestly have a hard time remembering this trip (the downside of not taking as many photos). In fact, I can't even recall how far north I went. I know that for serval years in a row, I went on solo rides to Seattle around the time of my birthday. Since I have no shots from this trip in Washington, I'm wondering if I simply didn't take any, or if I only went to Oregon. Regardless, since all the photos I have are from Oregon, I'll stick with that for the title of this report.

The photo above was taken on the "Volcanic Legacy Scenic Byway", just inside the north entrance to Crater Lake National Park. Just prior to that shot I passed a large pumice field, shown in the photo below. According to Wiki, pumice is a light colored volcanic rock that is so porous it doesn't hold enough water to sustain life. The pumice in this desert just north of Crater Lake is 100' deep. My exploring drive made me want to ride across it and see what lay in the forests beyond. Elves and Dwarves, no doubt. The fairy folk were spared by my desire not to get yelled at by a Park Ranger.

[​IMG]

Now here's the thing I love about Crater Lake...you have to try hard to get a bad photo of it. As much as I get a kick out of landscape photography, I'm the first person to admit I'm not very good at it. But Crater Lake makes anyone look good. :deal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Which is better looking...Wizard Island, or an R1200GS? Who can say... :lol3

[​IMG]

I laugh every time I see this next photo. First, I think "selfies" in front of beautiful scenery just completely ruin the mood. But I just had to include it for the comic value. It looks like I just photoshopped myself in front of a postcard background...

[​IMG]

And one last shot of Crater Lake without me messing it up. Also, a bit of trivia about the lake; There are no rivers running into or out of Crater Lake. With a depth of 1,949 feet, it is the deepest lake in the US, and the third deepest lake in the entire world, if measured by average depth.

[​IMG]

Continued...
  3. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Oregon in October: 2013 (Part 2-Finale)

[​IMG]

One of my favorite roads in Oregon is the McKenzie Highway, which is comprised of Hwy 242, and Hwy 126. It takes you over the McKenzie Pass, and connects the town of Sisters, on the east, and Eugene, on the west. Approaching the top of the pass from the west, I came across Scott Lake, and pulled in for some photos. It was a brisk 32 Fahrenheit, but the sun felt good, and with no wind since I was off the bike, I warmed up nicely.

Normally when I take photos, I just pull out the camera quickly, set it up on the tripod if I'm going for extra stability, and then snap off a shot or two. I admire the photographers who are patient enough to wait for that perfect moment, but I'm not one of them. The photo above was the exception. I was sitting on a tree stump, and since I was enjoying the "warmth", I decided just to sit and look through the viewfinder, waiting for a moment that caught my eye. The guy fishing in the canoe was so quiet that I hadn't even noticed him on the lake. When he paddled into view, I was so pleased with the silhouette effect, and the way the sunlight danced on the water, that I smashed down on the button and got this. It ended up becoming one of my favorite photos of the trip, and should probably have been a lesson to me, that patience pays off (of course I didn't learn the lesson, but it's a nice thought).

Up on the summit of the McKenzie Pass, I stopped at the Dee Wright Observatory to photograph the large lava flow. And when I say large, what I really mean is 65 square miles. In this next photo, I believe that is Black Butte in the distance, because if I remember correctly, Mt. Washington was to my left, just out of view of this shot. Someone with better local knowledge, please correct me if I'm wrong.

[​IMG]

And a selfie looking south from Hwy 242, with the Three Sisters in the background...A tripod is an indispensable tool for selfies with a DSLR, but getting the focus just right can be a hassle. There is also the risk of someone speeding along the highway and taking out the tripod and camera, especially when they are in the middle of the road, like it was for this shot.

[​IMG]

As I approached the town of Sisters, I made a detour to check out National Forest 16, a dirt road that leads to Three Creek Lake. This shows a different view of the Three Sisters, looking from the east.

[​IMG]

I took a tiny logging road, which was really more of a path, for a fun photo op. I decided to make the path the "subject" of the photo, instead of the bike. It probably won't appeal to everyone, but I kind of like the effect. When I first posted this photo on my Flickr page, one of my friends commented that when they glanced at the photos, they thought my bike was a row of mailboxes. I laughed, and replied that I often feel like I'm riding a bank of mailboxes when it's loaded down that much.

[​IMG]

And I'll end off this ride report with a photo of Three Creek Lake. It actually wasn't a tiny lake, the majority of it was behind me when I took this photo.

[​IMG]
    mb300, Roqon, pratered and 2 others like this.
  4. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Time for another break between ride reports. Here are some random, fun bike glamour photos...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And whoops! This isn't a motorcycle...how did that get in here???

[​IMG]
  5. kojack06

kojack06 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's not a remote shot of you being airlifted out, is it?! :lol3
    Jedi5150 likes this.
  6. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Ha! Funny you should mention that. No, it is not. However... it just so happens that I have been hoisted in a basket up to an HH65 Dolphin before, and not on a training exercise. But it's more fun not to tell the story, and just leave it at that. :lol3
    Phoenix101 and kojack06 like this.
  7. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Oregon Group Ride: 2014 (Part 1)

OK folks, grab your popcorn and a comfortable chair...this is going to be a fun one. :lurk

[​IMG]

In July of 2014, a group of us began what would become an annual tradition, 10-day rides exploring the west (and in one case, the east). Our first year we picked Oregon. This ride would see the return of Dan and Niall, as well as introducing a couple more of our team. We kicked off the ride in San Jose, CA, and rode to Medford, OR, on Day 1.

[​IMG]

From left to right, in the photo above:

Val "Yawny" - Honda Goldwing

Dan "Route Boss" - R1150GS

Niall "Double Tree" - R1200GS (Gen 1)

Brent "Cheeky Monkey"- Vstrom 650

Doug "Nothing" - R1200GS (Gen 2)

We all picked up nicknames during the course of the trip (except for Brent, who already had his, and Dan, who wasn't named until after). These nicknames will be used for reference for the rest of the ride report.

DAY 1:
    San Jose, CA to Medford, OR

We started the ride in San Jose, with overcast skies and bits of sprinkling. We've all toured extensively through California, and decided to blaze north on the I-5 superslab to make good time to Oregon, which is where the fun would begin. With a slight accidental detour over half of the Bay Bridge to Treasure Island (hey, those two Hwy 80 exits look very similar when you're half asleep) thanks to yours truly, we made it to our destination in Medford without a hiccup.

Meeting up in San Jose:

[​IMG]

We stopped for lunch at Marie Calendars in Redding.

[​IMG]

Somewhere along the 5, north of Weed, CA if I remember correctly, we pulled into a rest stop and noticed a very large helicopter parked next to us. Yawny is a private pilot, and also flies part time at work, and identified it as a Sikorsky S-61, or the SH-3 Sea King in military circles. It was privately owned by Siller Helicopters, and we guessed it was used for firefighting. Later in the trip we learned we were correct, when we came across the same bird in another part of the state.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We pulled into Medford at the Holiday Inn and went to visit a mutual friend of ours who had moved to the area a couple years back. We ate dinner at the Four Daughters Irish Pub, and I've got to say, their shepherds pie was outstanding.

Continued...
    BigDogRaven likes this.
  8. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Oregon Group Ride: 2014 (Part 2)

Day 2:
    Medford, OR to Bend, OR

The morning of day 2 saw us heading up Hwy 62, better known as the Crater Lake Highway, out of Medford. Using a GoPro while riding is one thing, but it takes a true artist (AKA: moron) to take a photo with a DSLR and telephoto lens while riding...:lol3

[​IMG]

...too bouncy on f/8. Let's try f/4...

[​IMG]

...a little better, but not great. And so began my shoot and scoot tactic, where I'd ride ahead of the group, pull over to snap a few quick photos as they passed, and then catch up to do it all over again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Along Highway 62, just south of Union Creek, you come to a place where the Rogue River goes underground, in a series of tunnels called "natural bridges". We stopped here for a short hike of a mile or so. The weather was perfect...warm and sunny without being too hot yet.

[​IMG]

Yawny, Double Tree and Route Boss hamming it up for the camera:

[​IMG]

CM mentally composing his next photo. Throughout all of our rides, Brent is my fellow photography enthusiast. We always have a friendly competition to see who can come back with the better shots of the trip. The unfair part is that Brent pretends it's not a competition, and always has better photos/ videos. :lol3

[​IMG]

I stood across the highway and got photos as the group pulled back out onto Hwy 62 and on toward Crater Lake:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I tried to vary it a little and not get 352 photos of bikes coming head-on at me. Some of my favorites were what I call the "cockpit shots", showing all the cool motorcycling gear. After all, what M/C enthusiast doesn't have a little bit of gear nut in them?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Day 2 will continue..............
    BigDogRaven likes this.
  9. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Oregon Group Ride: 2014 (Part 3)

Day 2 Continued:

Around noon we arrived at one of the highlights of our trip, Crater Lake; Crater Lake is otherworldly. I've had the good fortune to see amazingly beautiful places ranging from Florida to New England, Alaska to the Canadian Rockies, and Zion to the High Sierra, to name a few. Crater Lake stands alone as the most beautiful, with places like Yosemite and the Big Sur coastline paling in comparison (can you tell I like it?:lol3).

On to the pictures. CM pulling up to the National Park entrance.

[​IMG]

Followed by the rest of the gang.

[​IMG]

Someone said there was a lake around here somewhere...

[​IMG]

Wizard Island...

[​IMG]

The slopes of the caldera plunge dramatically into the lake:

[​IMG]

There are a number of buildings at the rim of Crater Lake, including a lodge and a big hotel. This is the lodge we ate lunch in. On a previous trip I saw it with snow up to the level of the roof:

[​IMG]

Continued...
  10. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Oregon Group Ride: (Part 4)

Day 2 Continued...

Day 2 had lots of great scenery, and I took more pictures that day than any other. After leaving Crater Lake, we headed up from the north rim of the lake and then straight east on the 138 until we hit the 97 north, towards Bend. We could have taken the 97 directly to Bend, but why do that when there are so many great byways. So instead, we veered off on the Willamette Highway for a short distance until it connected with Hwy 46, also known as the "Cascade Lakes National Scenic Byway". This road sweeps along through the mountains, passing numerous lakes of varying sizes.

Along Hwy 46.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course when you get a group of riders together, one or more (all) of them are likely to do ever-increasing acts of derring-do. Here we see CM practicing his one-legged riding style:

[​IMG]

...while Double Tree is content to salute:

[​IMG]

...and Yawny gives me a different kind of salute...

[​IMG]

Our group had a great dynamic. In this next photo, Double Tree and CM give each other kind words of encouragement...

[​IMG]

After a quick stop at Devils Lake, Yawny and CM are ready to ride:

[​IMG]

So in the thread title I mentioned that this was "mostly" a paved ride. One of the two dirt sections on the trip happened on Hwy 46, as we took a look around Elk Lake. Yawny had not signed up for dirt, and to his credit, handled the 900lb beast of a Goldwing without problem or complaint. It was a well grated road for the most part, but there were a few sections of new, deeper gravel.

The rest of the ride into Bend, our destination for the night, had the same great scenery we were now accustomed to. We all came back from the trip amazed at the quality of the Oregon roads, including their mostly excellent paving. On the home stretch dropping from the mountains into Bend, we had a huge change in weather. We hit a spot of heavy rain, where the temperature dropped to 65*F, and then in less than 3 miles, it warmed again to 83* and dry. All we had to do was stand on the pegs and our clothes dried out immediately.

To finish off Day 2, we went out to eat in Bend with a buddy of several of our group, who had moved there a while back. While we were eating dinner, Yawny got "called out" for a Facebook challenge at work. Someone sent him a challenge for the Fallen Officer Foundation, where he had 48 hours to provide proof that he'd had a bucket of ice water dumped on his head, after which he had to pay $10 to the foundation. If you are called out and fail to provide proof within 48 hours, you owe $100 dollars to the charity. Yawny was a good sport about it, and our waiter at McMenamins Old St. Francis School (excellent food) graciously provided us with a nice big bucket of ice and water. We walked outside to the sidewalk and Yawny was recorded (on cell phones) accepting the challenge (sorry for the horrible photo...no flash on my DSLR).

[​IMG]

And that's the end of Day 2...
    pratered, BigDogRaven and Phoenix101 like this.
  11. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Oregon Group Ride: 2014 (part 5)

Day 3:

Bend, OR to The Dalles, OR

In Bend, Yawny, Route Boss and I camped at Tumalo State Park, while the other two opted to stay at the Double Tree hotel. This of course was the topic of some much needed ribbing, including from our wives, and earned Niall his "Double Tree" title. :lol3

Bend is a really nice town, on the eastern slopes of the Cascades, where the conifer forests melt into high desert. My home for this ride was a Hilleberg "Jannu" tent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yawny relaxing at the end of day 2's long ride.

[​IMG]

Morning on the Deschutes River, which ran right past the campground...

[​IMG]

After packing up camp, we rode into Bend and met Double Tree and CM for breakfast. In front of the café, a couple guys pointed out that they were also fans of BMW's, and asked if we'd ever seen a BMW camper...can't say any of us had:

[​IMG]

From Bend, we rode north to Prineville, and then headed east on Hwy 26, into the high desert of Central Oregon. Hwy 26.

[​IMG]

We followed 26 and then took a short detour north on Burnt Ranch Road, to check out the Painted Hills. The weather had warmed up to 104* F. The first three days of the trip all had weather over 100*, but day 3 was the hottest of all, with the majority of our riding being at over 103 and as high as 105. The following shots were taken along Burnt Ranch Road:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not being the sharpest tool in the shed, it took me the first three days to figure out that every time Yawny rode past me, he was giving a different hand signal. Here he gives the Star Trek "live long, and prosper":

[​IMG]

CM and Double Tree riding into the Painted Hills.

[​IMG]

I mentioned earlier that there were two dirt roads encountered during our trip. The road into the Painted Hills was the second. Accessed off of Burnt Ranch Rd., the Painted Hills road is very well groomed, and barely qualifies as dirt. Here it is, being navigated by the wild bunch in tight v-formation. :lol3 (Yawny's Goldwing is barely visible behind the middle bike).

[​IMG]

Stay tuned for more of Day 3...
    Roqon, BigDogRaven and Phoenix101 like this.
  12. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Oregon Group Ride: 2014 (part 6)

Day 3 Continued...

Barely visible in this next photo, are my Advdesigns folding highway pegs. I don't often plug gear, but they are outstanding on the long rides. Cheeky Monkey referred to them as "cheating" (and then later bought some, of course).

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, you wanted to see the Painted Hills. This handsome guy was just standing there, and so I took a picture of him :wink: (otherwise known as a tripod and 10 second delay on the shutter release :lol3).

[​IMG]

The Three Amigos! if you ever want to feel like you're in a cheesy Western comedy, go to the Painted Hills in 104* weather with a couple fellow goofballs:

[​IMG]

After taking a break at the Painted Hills, we headed back out onto 26 east and then north on Hwy 207. I pulled over to take a photo of a cool barn along 207:

[​IMG]

From the 207, we went north on Hwy 19 to Fossil, and then west on 218, until we hit the tiny (mostly) ghost town of Shaniko. Shaniko is straight out of a Western novel or movie, with wooden sidewalks leading to all the buildings in town which are abandoned except for the ice cream parlor/ general store. There is no gas in town, and nothing close by. On the front of the ice cream parlor is a map, showing which towns in the area have gas, and their distance in miles from Shaniko. We were at 150 miles on the tanks, and had to divert from our original plan of heading north to Biggs, which was 56 miles away. The closest gas was 26 miles, in Maupin, along the Deschutes River gorge. Some of us pulled in on fumes. Luckily, it turns out all bikes will run on 87 octane when there is nothing else for sale. :lol3

From Maupin, we headed north on the 197, into The Dalles, where we stayed right along the Columbia River Gorge, at a Comfort Inn. The Dalles was frankly an ugly town, mostly industrial, with the railway and river seeming to be the primary business (apologies to anyone who lives there). We kept being reminded of the movie quote from Blues Brothers..."How often does the train come through?...So often you won't even notice".

On the other hand, the Baldwin Saloon on Court St. made incredibly good meals, and would be highly recommended to anyone passing through The Dalles.

Next...Day 4 and the Columbia River Gorge...
  13. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Oregon Group Ride: 2014 (Part 7)

Day 4:
    The Dalles, OR to Oakridge, OR

Day four was probably the best single riding day of the trip. Yawny, an experienced long distance tour rider, described it like this; "Today might have been the best day of riding in my life. Rode through the Willamette National Forest. Indescribable beauty, great road with just perfect curves - lots of them - almost no other traffic, a winding river alongside, and lunch at a motorcycle-themed burger place."

I'd have to agree, it was probably tied with, if not at the top, of my favorite riding days ever. We began the day leaving The Dalles, heading west on Hwy 30, which is a scenic highway running along the southern bank of the Columbia River Gorge. A brief description of the Columbia River Gorge; it is an 80 mile gorge where the Columbia River carves its way through the Cascade Mountains, and separates Oregon and Washington. The Columbia River is the fourth largest in the US.

Along the gorge, we came to a series of waterfalls, the first of which was Horsetail Falls.

[​IMG]

The next falls we came across are the Multnomah Falls, the tallest in the state of Oregon. There is a footbridge spanning the gulch between the upper and lower portion of the falls.

[​IMG]

In 1995 a 400 ton boulder fell 225 feet from the upper falls, causing a 70' splash of water and gravel to wash over the bridge, injuring 20 people standing there as part of a wedding party. Here is the view back towards the Columbia River, from standing on the footbridge.

[​IMG]

Continuing further west along the gorge, we came to the Vista House, which was built as an observatory and rest stop back in 1918. At the time, some folks referred to it as "the $100,000 outhouse". It has a marble interior with brass fittings, and is three levels, with the top two being for observation and the basement for bathrooms and gift shops.

[​IMG]

CM messing with his camera, with Washington State in the background.

[​IMG]

Looking back east, towards The Dalles.

[​IMG]

And west, with Portland in the distance.

[​IMG]

On the outskirts of Portland, we went through the town of Boring, OR (cool name :lol3), where we got onto Hwy 224, the Clackamas Highway, and began the legendary ride. I have no photos of Hwy 224, NF-46, Hwy 22, Hwy 126, Aufderheide Dr., or NF-19. In short, I was too busy riding some of the most epic 215 miles of motorcycling nirvana to even think about getting my camera out. You're just going to have to go and see it for yourself. :clap If 215 miles of smoothly paved twisties meandering through mountainous forests along raging rivers, with no traffic is not your thing, then don't give this ride a second thought.

We stopped for lunch at the Korner Post Restaurant and Steel Wheels Lounge, a motorcycle themed burger joint along the lines of Alice's in the Bay Area. They even have an autographed helmet from Evel Knievel.

Day 4 will be continued............
    Roqon, BigDogRaven and Phoenix101 like this.
  14. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Oregon Group Ride: 2014 (part 8)

Day 4 Continued...

At the intersection of the 126 and 242, our group split up for the first time on the trip (aside from camping in Bend). Yawny, CM, and Double Tree had decided to get hotel rooms at the Best Western in Oakridge, our destination for the night. Route Boss and I wanted to camp some more, so the plan was for us to find a campsite somewhere outside Oakridge, and then meet up with the others in the morning. Since we weren't in a rush to get to our destination, we headed east on 242, towards the town of Sisters, near Bend.

Here is another view of the lava flow that I mentioned in my previous ride report from Oregon, in 2013. At the top of McKenzie Pass ( a little over 5,000' elevation), you traverse the 65 square mile lava flow. Like Crater Lake, it doesn't appear like something that belongs on this planet. Here is part of the flow with Mt Washington (left) and Mt. Jefferson (right) in the distance.

[​IMG]

At the summit of the pass is the Dee Wright Observatory, a small castle-like structure built out of lava stone.

[​IMG]

When we left the Dee Wright Observatory, heading back west again, towards Oakridge, I couldn't get over how beautiful the clouds were. The photo doesn't do them justice.

[​IMG]

After reaching the 126 again, we went a short ways before turning south on Aufderheide Dr., past Cougar Reservoir, where we saw a nice waterfall.

[​IMG]

We followed NF-19 until we were only about 15 miles north of Oakridge, where we found a campsite along the river. A relaxing evening at the campsite and we were well rested when we met up with our buddies in Oakridge the next morning.

More coming on Day 5...
  15. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Oregon Group Ride: 2014 (Part 9)

Day 5:

Oakridge, OR to Crescent City, CA

On the morning of Day 5, Route Boss and I packed up camp and had about a 1/2 hour ride into Oakridge to meet up with everyone else at the Best Western. In a tiny town just outside of Oakridge, called Westfir, we came across a cool covered bridge. We took photos of each other coming out of the bridge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In Oakridge we ate breakfast at a pizza place that sold diner-style breakfasts (nothing to write home about to be honest), and then headed west towards Eugene. From there we did a short hop south on I-5, and then west again through the town of Drain, OR, on Hwy 38 (Umpqua Highway). We took this highway all the way to Reedsport, on the coast. We didn't actually go into Reedsport, as one of our members was still working through traumatizing memories from a prior trip to Reedsport, and the memories are all too painful (in other words he got a speeding ticket there:lol3).

Along the Umpqua Highway just east of Reedsport, we came across some large meadows with countless elk. I found out I was the elk whisperer...I asked these two guys to pose with their antlers making a nice design.

[​IMG]

Now you three guys stand all with your heads bowed in a perfect row...:deal

[​IMG]

Along Hwy 38, Yawny was going through airplane withdrawals, and decided that his Goldwing would have to take the place of his Cessna 172...

[​IMG]

When we hit the outskirts of Reedsport, we hung a left and turned south on the US 101, which we would take all the way to Gilroy. We stopped for lunch in Coos Bay, at the Sharkbite's Café, where I had the world's best fish tacos. The waitress was excellent, putting up with all our shenanigans and providing great service. This is how Yawny got his nickname. He was a bit road-weary, and yawning, and while bringing him coffee, the waitress called him "Yawny". It stuck. CM, feeling it was unfair that not all of us had nicknames, asked our waitress to come up with one for me. I had once read long ago that if you ever find yourselves captured by terrorists, you should make yourself invisible and draw as little attention as possible. I thought this would be the perfect time to employ this strategy, and it almost worked. At the end of the meal, CM asked the waitress if she'd come up with a nickname for me, and she replied, "I've got nothing". And from there my nickname "Nothing" was born. Of course the true master of the hostage crisis was Route Boss, who sat there so silently that nobody noticed that he also, had avoided a nickname. :lol3

Selfie! ...Pulling out of Coos Bay.

[​IMG]

From Coos Bay we continued south along the coast, and stopped for a photo session in a town called Port Orford. You can't miss the view when you get to Port Orford. There is a sign painted white on the road, large enough for astronauts to see from space, signaling "Ocean View ^" when you hit the center of town. Reaching the bluff above the parking lot, I snapped a photo of a barge doing barge-like things...

[​IMG]

This seagull badly wanted food from me, but all I had handy was an energy gel thing, which is probably not healthy for seagulls.

[​IMG]

Route Boss on the bluff.

[​IMG]

In the lower parking lot, Yawny demonstrates a "mosey" through this one boat town (...boy, if that isn't the most flowery way of saying, "here is so-and-so, walking back from the bathroom":lol3):

[​IMG]

Oh yeah...the views, I almost forgot.

[​IMG]

Situational awareness. Double Tree is probably thinking, "Um guys...we have a camera pointed at us".

[​IMG]

Not to be outdone by Double Tree, CM realizes that he, too, must have a mustache.

[​IMG]

Although the coast was beautiful, the five of us live a stones' throw from it, and are probably a little too spoiled to it's views.

[​IMG]

From there we continued on to our destination for the night, Crescent City. Double Tree and I had both stayed a number of times that the Bayview Hotel over the years, so we decided to book some rooms. Wow, that was a mistake. The rooms were ratty and the clientele appeared to all have been recently paroled from nearby Pelican Bay supermax prison.

Up next...Day 6
    BigDogRaven and Phoenix101 like this.
  16. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Oregon Group Ride: 2014 (Part 10-Finale)

Day 6:

Crescent City, CA to the Monterey Bay, CA

The morning of Day 6 saw us splitting our group again. Cheeky Monkey and I both had to be back at work on Sunday (Route Boss did as well), and the two of us wanted to have a day to unwind and unpack before going back to work. So while Route Boss, Yawny and Double Tree took two additional days to end the trip, CM and I got an early start and blasted through the 480 miles home. It was still foggy and cool when we left Crescent City. Some of our rowdy Harley neighbors did not appear to have been to sleep at all, and wished us pleasant travels on our "daddy racers". We took the high road and chose not to complement them on being able to get their Harleys off the trailer without parts breaking :lol3.

We had Hwy 101 mostly to ourselves, and enjoyed the twisties. Hwy 101 between Eureka and the Oregon state line is a very nice road for motorcycling. Lots of big sweeping turns you can get some decent speed on, excellent pavement compared to other parts of the state, and very little traffic. We stopped on the side of the road as we came into Arcata for a photo op. It's a tradition of mine to take a photo of my bike at the Arcata city limit sign. This time I had CM with me, who kindly offered to get me in the photo:

[​IMG]

In Arcata we stopped for breakfast at a great little place, Café Brio. :thumbup This place had the best morning buns I've ever had. So flakey they crumbled if you breathed too hard. Yum!

Once the road curved inland south of Eureka, it warmed up quickly. Near the town of Laytonville we rode into super thick smoke. Thicker than fog, which reduced the visibility to less than 100 yards. It lasted for a number of miles and I was just beginning to feel sorry for CM and I, being on motorcycles, when we came across a couple folks on bicycles. Peddling up and down these mountain passes in smoke so thick you could hardly breath.

A short time later we came across the helicopter staging area for the massive firefighting operation. Right along side the highway we counted 7 helos, a few of which were coming and going as we watched. Total count was 4 Hueys, one Jet Ranger, one SH3, and one CH46. Of course I had to snap some photos.

A Huey coming in with a slung bucket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A little Bell Jet Ranger.

[​IMG]

One of the three parked Hueys, this one a more modern style.

[​IMG]

A helicopter wash. You just pull up in your CH-46 and these guys wash it for you.

[​IMG]

And to bring the ride report full circle, remember that SH-3 we saw over in Weed, CA on Day1? Now we know where it was headed.

[​IMG]

CM and I made good time the rest of the ride. We crossed the Golden Gate in fog so thick you couldn't see the top of the bridge (not uncommon). By the time we hit Gilroy, it had warmed up to a balmy 105*F. And then in the next 20 miles to the coast it dropped a whole forty degrees to 65*F.

We had a great time and the first comment out of all our mouths was "when is the next ride?" :clap
  17. BigDogRaven

BigDogRaven Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    what a great trip. Thx for sharing. I would opt for the hotel all the time:D.
    'Hwy 224, NF-46, Hwy 22, Hwy 126, Aufderheide Dr., or NF-19' : I need to look into this.......
    Jedi5150 likes this.
  18. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:

Well, you'd be in good company. :lol3 As the years go on, we do less camping and more hotels. And some of us (without naming names...hahaha) will pretty much only do hotels.

And yeah, that route scooting along the west side, at the base of the Cascades, is simply phenomenal. One of the truly epic day rides.
  19. Phoenix101

Phoenix101 Long timer

Oddometer:
    wife's demand "Yeah I will go... but we stay in motels" okay deal!
    Jedi5150 likes this.
  20. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Sorry for the delay in adding more to this thread. Here's my last shot of 2014, it was an "artsy" shot I took in the Sierra, off the I-80.

[​IMG]

Next up...2015...
    staticPort and thebeancounter like this.