For West is where we all plan to go some day

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Jedi5150, May 20, 2019.

1. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer:

I do find you meet more people, have some interesting conversations with strangers when your by your self
    Jedi5150 likes this.
  2. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    I agree. Not to say it can't happen in a group ride, of course you meet strangers everywhere you go, but for me it's far more often on solo rides as well.
  3. tommybelvedere

tommybelvedere Adv alacarte'

Oddometer:
    Enjoying your report tremendously, you rode in my backyard! I can't wait for the 2018 reports.
    Jedi5150 likes this.
  4. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the kind words, Tommy! I'm glad you're liking it. The 2018 ride really was outstanding, I'll have the report posted soon. :)
  5. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    The Southwest: 2018 (Part 1)

On May 19th, of last year, we began our annual group ride. We chose to do the Southwest, with sightseeing in California, Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, and Nevada. I had mixed feelings about the itinerary; I'd always wanted to see Colorado, you may recall that I missed it a couple years prior, due to an unexpected trip to DC. On the other hand, the southwest was not really my cup of tea, when I have the choice, I always like going north. But as with all our rides, good or bad, it was sure to be an adventure. Our group this year was larger than usual, with people popping in and out at different stages. Shortly after leaving the Santa Cruz/ Monterey area, we met up in King City, to begin our journey.

At the start of our ride we had five of us: Dan "Route Boss", on his old R1150GS, Myself, on my R1200GS "Freyja", Chris, on his Harley (we believe in equal opportunity :lol3), "Tall Dan" (when your name is also Dan, and you're tall, that kind of pushes our creativity to the limits), on his KTM, and Brent "Cheeky Monkey", in his Mazda CX5 with Tepui rooftop tent on top. You might remember that Brent normally rides a VStrom, but he had recently had wrist surgery, so riding the bike was out. Bringing the SUV allowed Brent to carry some of our larger gear items, and also his drone and camera gear. I'll be including some of Brent's photos in this report, which will be credited with his name under them.

[​IMG]

The first day was pretty mundane. We stopped for the night in Needles, CA. I'm sorry if you're from Needles, but bleh... what a dump. I've been through there before, and it is pure drudgery riding that stretch of road. We stopped somewhere along the way for a break, shown in these next couple photos.

[​IMG]

Brent, the drone pilot...er, I mean "Unmanned Aerial Vehicle" pilot... I keep forgetting "drone" has negative connotations...

[​IMG]

It was hot, dry, and boring scenery. Left to right: Chris, Dan, Tall Dan, Brent.

[​IMG]

This next shot is of "Adventure Gibbon" relaxing on the motel bed in Needles, playing some Star Wars online game. She came from the San Diego Zoo, and has been joining my family on many trips, since. Blond gibbons are female, and black ones are male (the things you never knew). AG has now become quite well traveled, including a cruise to Mexico. :lol3

[​IMG]

The next morning we drive across town and hit our first state line, AZ. Brent obviously has less respect for Adventure Gibbon than I do. I was unaware of how she was being treated when this photo was shot... :lol3

[​IMG]

Next... Oatman, Arizona
    mb300 and BigDogRaven like this.
  6. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    The Southwest: 2018 (Part 2)

[​IMG]
    (Brent)

Our first stop on Day 2 was the ghost town of Oatman, Arizona. The town was named after a young girl, "Olive Oatman", who was captured by Indians in 1851. When she was released by the Mojave Indians to the Army at Fort Yuma, in 1857, she'd lived as a captive for 6 years, and had tribal tattoos on her face. The town later became famous when Clarke Gable and Carole Lombard spent their honeymoon there in 1939. I put a few photos of Oatman in my previous ride report when Dan and I went to Overland Expo, in 2013.

The hitchin' post. Dan's GS shares a parking space with a live burro.

[​IMG]
    (Brent)

Tall Dan and a diverse group of our bikes in front of the Olive Oatman Saloon.

[​IMG]

"I'm a cowboy, on a steel horse I ride"...

[​IMG]

High Noon, with Chris and Dan.

[​IMG]

Tall Dan checks something on his KTM...

[​IMG]

I don't put myself in a lot of photos for group rides (usually I'm behind the camera), but Brent took this one of me that I liked, so I'll include it. He doesn't get credit for it, since it was my camera...:lol3

[​IMG]

Get your kicks, on Route 66... The famous Route 66, just outside of Oatman.

[​IMG]

Continued...
    mb300, kleinergti1 and BigDogRaven like this.
  7. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    The Southwest: 2018 (Part 3)

[​IMG]

After leaving Flagstaff, we covered some ground, and saw a lot of varied scenery. We continued east for a little ways on the 40 (bleh...), to the 93 south. From there we rode through Prescott, and it was my first time being there. It was a pretty city, up in the mountains. I know everyone but me has likely been there before, because it's quite well known, but those were my impressions of it. We didn't spend any time there, we had miles to cover, so we kept on going up the 89A and went through a very little town called Jerome, that is perched on the side of a ridge. A steep, narrow town, literally built on the switchbacks of a mountain. Very cool! After Jerome we rode through Sedona. It was also my first time seeing Sedona, but I'd heard a lot about it. It was a quaint little town built in the red rocks, and actually prettier than I'd imagined. I wouldn't have minded spending a little more time there, but it was getting late in the evening, and we needed to push on to our destination for the night, Flagstaff.

Flagstaff is an area of Arizona that I like. You have to travel through some pretty ugly desert to get there, regardless of which direction you come from. But as the elevation rises, and the conifers start covering the landscape, it gets pretty quick. It's a city I wouldn't mind living in or near. Our home for the next two nights was the Bonito Campground, just north of Flagstaff, at the entrance to the Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument.

My home away from home, the Hilleberg "Tarra"...

[​IMG]

Dan and Brent with that morning look of "semi-rested" after a night of camping.

[​IMG]

Brent cheated. We were all extremely jealous of his Tepui roof top tent...

[​IMG]

At the campground, we added a few more people to our party. Dan and Brent's friend, Mario, who had moved to Tucson, joined us. Val also met us with his Harley, along with his wife, Debbie, in their RV. They were in the process of moving from California to Florida, and shared part of our adventure on their way. Here's a shot of our bikes, which were now up to 5 (Dan's R1150 not showing in the photo).

[​IMG]

Tall Dan doing some morning maintenance on his KTM (evidently that is what KTM owners do...a strange thing called "maintenance" :deal)...

[​IMG]

We got a fairly late start out of Flagstaff. First we went and had some good breakfast burritos at a place called, "he Toasted Owl Café", in downtown Flagstaff, and then we swung by REI to get a few more items we needed. IN the REI parking lot we chatted with a family who were doing some overlanding in a gorgeous Tacoma (I'm a huge Taco fan, in fact, when I'm not on my bike, that's what you'll find me in). This ride was planned to coincide with Overland Expo, so even though none of us attended, we saw plenty of nice rigs on the highways and in town.

[​IMG]

Continued...
  8. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    The Southwest: 2018 (Part 4)

After breakfast and REI, we headed north from town on Hwy 180, north to the 64. I pulled off on the side of 180 to snap this photo of a cool valley, looking west.

[​IMG]

You may remember that on the Overland Expo ride in 2013 that Dan and I went to, we rode right past the Grand Canyon, but never went to it or saw it. This would be the trip to rectify that. I know just about everyone has seen the Grand Canyon, but I have to add my obligatory shots as well. Hopefully you'll enjoy them. This first shot includes (L-R) Mario, Debbie, Dan, Val, Brent, and Chris. The only two missing from our group are me and Tall Dan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not all photos at the Grand Canyon can be breathtaking landscapes. Tall Dan and I borrowed Brent's camera for a photo op, and decided it would be fun to take a gazillion photos of random stranger's shoes, as they walked past us. It was a busy day, packed with tourists, so I'm sure we used a good portion of his memory card. :lol3 I titled this next shot, "Rabies". It reminded me of the episode of "The Office", where they are having the rabies awareness fun run, and Darryl is feeding the squirrel. Hahaha

[​IMG]

Over the years, a few photos have become a tradition. They include Val doing "The General", which I showed on our last ride, and the "point at something interesting" shot. Here's how that went down at the Grand Canyon...

[​IMG]

And here we have a photographer in his natural environment.

[​IMG]

I took this next shot of Brent, but it was with his camera, and he did the post processing, so he gets the credit. I've decided that whomever owns the camera gets credit for the shot. I'm sure there's something wrong with that logic, but I can't put my finger on it...

[​IMG]
    (Brent)

Dan and Val do a lot of thinking, so none of the rest of us have to. As for Tall Dan, Mario, and Chris, it's safe to say that not a single thought passed through any of their minds. :lol3

[​IMG]

Me.

[​IMG]
    (My camera, so Brent does not get the credit)

Chris photobombs Adventure Gibbon with his best "Kilroy was here" impression.

[​IMG]

The group having a pow wow outside the GC gift shop.

[​IMG]

Against my strong protests, Brent and Dan decided to let Adventure Gibbon participate in some extreme sports. Her life flashed before my eyes as she sailed over the grand canyon. There were some gusty breezes, and a 2,000' drop behind that wall.

[​IMG]

You've probably seen enough photos of AG by now, but hey, she is so photogenic I had to add one more...

[​IMG]

Continued...
    mb300 likes this.
  9. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    The Southwest: 2018 (Part 5)

The Wild Bunch...

[​IMG]

The next day we continued our trek east, and one of our first stops was the thriving metropolis of Winslow, Arizona. And yes, of course we had to stand on a corner, in honor of The Eagles...

[​IMG]

I'll include a youtube link to the song, in case you're the one person who hasn't heard it...:D

East of Winslow, on Route 66, we stopped at the Jack Rabbit Trading Post, to snap a couple photos and cool off for a minute.

[​IMG]
    (Brent)

Not everyone can say they've ridden a jack rabbit. Val is not everyone.

[​IMG]

Pulled off on a turnout for a rest stop and to work on gear.

[​IMG]

Val and Brent do a comms check. In hindsight, it's interesting to me how similar these photos on the side of Interstate 40 in California are to the ones I'd taken a couple days earlier, on the side of the I-40 in Arizona. I had to do a double-take to see the dates they were shot on in order to not get them out of order.

[​IMG]

Yay! The New Mexico state line...

[​IMG]
    (Brent)

[​IMG]

We powered on through Albuquerque and stopped for the night in Santa Fe. Tall Dan and I wimped out and got a hotel, while Val, Brent, Dan, and Chris stayed at a campsite up in the hills and froze their butts off. :vardy

Continued...
    mb300 likes this.
  10. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    The Southwest: 2018 (part 6)

The morning of Day 5 saw us getting an early start. Tall Dan and I met up with the group just north of Santa Fe, and we set out for Taos. I was impressed by the building code around Santa Fe. Everything from private residences to commercial businesses has to be built in the adobe style architecture and colors. It was very fitting for the high desert mountains and forests.

Just north of Santa Fe...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We stopped for lunch in Taos, and then made a counter-clockwise loop around the mountains, taking the 64, 38, and 522. It was beautiful scenery, but we didn't stop for photos. On the back side, around Angel Fire, we hit a strong downpour, so we stopped at a realtor's office and they were kind enough to let me use their restroom to put on my waterproof pant liners. Of course Murphy is alive and well, and within a few miles the sun was out again, and I started roasting in my pant liners. We stopped for lunch at the "Dairy Bar", in the tiny town of Red River, NM, and I was able to once again use a bathroom to remove my waterproof liners. I had a phenomenal cinnamon shake, and food that I don't remember.

Downtown Red River.

[​IMG]

Tall Dan and Adventure Gibbon pause for a photo in front of the Dairy Bar.

[​IMG]

After lunch we made our way northwest on the 64. We entered some truly stunning landscape. Forested hills with scenic overlooks. I decided two things at that moment, first was that in desert areas, elevation and scenery go hand in hand. It seemed that the higher we went, the prettier everything got. The second thing I learned was that northern Arizona and northern New Mexico are far prettier than the lower 2/3's of those states (generally speaking).

A stop along the 64, goofing off with photos.

[​IMG]

The same spot, looking west. I could ride through country like this all day and never get tired of it.

[​IMG]

At this point Tall Dan decided to head off west on his own. Vacations are about fun, and it wasn't living up to his expectations. It was sad to see him go, but we understood why; the first 5 days was a lot of riding in hot weather, crosswinds, long miles, and frankly, a lot of incredibly ugly scenery. Don't get me wrong, we rode through a lot of pretty areas, and saw some incredible sights too, but it was beginning to take it's toll. Added to this was a bit of tension in the group. We're all great friends, but when you get a group of "Type A" personalities together, you're guaranteed to get some stress along with the fun. :lol3 I don't blame Tall Dan, I wasn't really feeling it on Day 5 either. I was having a lot of fun, but the trip wasn't living up to the previous rides we'd been on. The tragic part is that the next day everything turned around and it became phenomenal. The rest of the ride everyone was in high spirits, and the scenery was fantastic. If Tall Dan had stuck it out one more day he would have loved it. Part of life is taking the bad with the good. Tall Dan, Dan, Brent and I have a fun ride coming up less than 2 weeks from now, as I write this. :clap

Our downsized group at the Colorado state line (can you find Adventure Gibbon?). Chris is also absent from the photo, because he'd split off from Santa Fe, to ride ahead and spend time with friends in Pagosa Springs, but he would join up with us again there.

[​IMG]

I had finally made it. My entire adult life I've wanted to see Colorado, and it was already living up to my expectations of beauty. A small pond just south of Pagosa Springs, where we stopped for the night.

[​IMG]

Continued...
  11. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    The Southwest: 2018 (part 7)

The morning of Day 6 was cold. I mean really cold. Since Chris spent the night with a friend in Pagosa Springs, I decided that gave me authorization to stay in a hotel another night, so I was well rested. Dan, Brent, and Val had camped again north of town, and were frozen solid and dead tired. I got an early start and beat them to our meeting point, a diner in South Fork, CO. I left Pagosa Springs heading north on Hwy 160, better known as "Wolf Creek Pass", and made famous in the CW McCall song by the same name:

The song makes the pass sound like a living hell, which it might be if you're driving an 18-wheeler full of chickens... But on an R1200GS, it was 37 miles of twisty paradise. One day, when the statute of limitations has passed, I just might tell how fast I was going on that ride. :deal

At the crest of Wolf Crick Pass, I put my enduro skills to the test by taking a dirt road known only as "402" up to the Lobo Overlook. Up towards the top, the road became unpassable due to deep snow. I can't tell you how refreshing snow was after 5 days of hot desert riding. As I was turning around, feeling like I was in the middle of nowhere, a state trooper drove up to me. Like me, he was also checking to see if the road to the overlook was open. We said our farewells and I continued on. This day was shaping up to be great. I did not know then, as I left the summit of Wolf Creek Pass, that this was the start of the single best day I've ever spent on a motorcycle.

The summit...

[​IMG]

Meeting up with the guys at the diner in South Fork. For some reason, Google maps shows it blank, so I can't find the name of it...

[​IMG]

After thawing out and eating, we started off on Hwy 149. Hwy 149 is 117 miles of motorcycling nirvana. For a good portion of the highway, it follows the Rio Grande. When I think of the Rio Grande, I have images of a muddy creek on the border of Mexico, with John Wayne wading across it on horseback, chasing the banditos. I had to get some help from Wikipedia when I found out it went all the way to Colorado. It's 1896 miles long, and has it's headwaters are at 12,000', in the Colorado Rockies.

The 149 starts off in some high desert canyons, straight out of a spaghetti western.

[​IMG]

Sunny skies, billowy white clouds, 70* weather, and perfectly paved curves awaited us. The desert rose into fertile farmland, and ultimately snow-capped mountains.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here it is folks...the river that ends as the border of the US and Mexico starts here, at 12 thousand feet. Headwaters of the Rio Grande...

[​IMG]\

Freyja photobombed this landscape shot...

[​IMG]

Coming up, more of Day 6. (Too much awesomeness for one post)...
  12. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    The Southwest: 2018 (Part 8)

It just doesn't get any better than this...(Me and Freyja. And yes, this shot Brent took is now my desktop wallpaper):

[​IMG]
    (Brent)

[​IMG]

The "Abominable SnowDan" sneaks up on an unsuspecting Chris, who is taking a photo of the Continental Divide.

[​IMG]

Val takes a "dirt nap"... :lol3

[​IMG]

In the words of Ewan McGregor, "I come back from these trips with 586 photos of my motorbike with different scenery in the background".

[​IMG]

Just when I thought the 149 couldn't get any more gorgeous, we'd go over another pass and be greeted by stuff like this. God's Country.

[​IMG]

After 117 miles of pure bliss and exhileration, we hit the Interstate 50. We backtracked east a little to the town of Gunnison, for fuel and food. We ate at "Mario's Pizza and Pasta", voted "best Pizza, best Hamburgers, and best Waitresses". Dan all suited up and ready to go in front of the restaurant, downtown Gunnison.

[​IMG]

More Day 6 next...
  13. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    The Southwest: 2018 (part 9)

After lunch, we made our way west on the 50 to Montrose, where we turned south on the 550, towards Durango. South of Montrose, we stopped to stretch our legs.

[​IMG]

The 550, as it rises into the mountains, is known as the "Million Dollar Highway". Partway up you come across the town of Ourey, CO, which is well known to overlanders as the home of the annual "FJ Summit" event, that hosts folks from all over the world. The town sits in a perfect bowl, with tall mountains on all sides except for the canyon which you enter from the north. Ourey looks more like a miniature train set than any town I've ever seen.

[​IMG]

As you continue climbing south of Ourey, the Million Dollar Highway becomes a narrow twisting road with sheer cliffs rising on one side and dropping off on the other, with no guard rails, in the Uncompahgre Gorge. You're not allowed to stop for photos, due to the road being so dangerous, so you'll just have to imagine it if you haven't been there.

Molas Pass.

[​IMG]

"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home, that wilderness is a necessity"- John Muir

Chris and Brent look on as Dan and Val do some thinking.

[​IMG]

Looking west from Molas Pass...

[​IMG]

Val hams it up as "The General". Here he leads his imaginary horde through the Molas Pass, invading central Colorado like a modern day Hannibal. It was only after I took the photo that I noticed the line in the trees looked like a giant shadow of Val. He truly is bigger than life! :lol3

[​IMG]

We arrived in Durango that night, and stayed at a hotel along the river. Wow! What a day. Bombing along the Wolf Creek Pass, riding the 117 miles of the 149, and topping it off with the Million Dollar Highway. A truly epic day in the saddle, and one that I will fondly remember every minute of, for the rest of my life. I had finally seen Colorado, and it had surpassed all my expectations.

Next...Utah.
  14. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    The Southwest: 2018 (Part 10)

On the morning of Day 7, we left Durango and headed west to the small town of Cortez, CO, where we turned off onto a small highway named only as, "Road G". We followed Road G through small valleys and desert farmland, until we reached the Utah state line. You've noticed that so far we'd stopped at every state line for a photo op. Well Road G, as it's known in Colorado, becomes "Ismay Trading Post Road" in Utah, without much fanfare. There isn't a single sign to let you know you are crossing the state line. We used our GPS's and narrowed it down to this dirt turnout, with about a 50' margin of error. Looking west, into Utah.

[​IMG]

Hwy 162 felt like an interstate after being on Ismay Trading Post Rd. We continued west, to the town of Bluff. We stopped at Bluff Fort, a living history museum, and learned a bit about the area. In 1880, Mormons Silas Smith and Jens Nielson led a party of 230 people to southeastern Utah, and settled the farming community of Bluff. It was well over 100* Fahrenheit when we were there, and it gave us a huge appreciation for just how tough those settlers were. It was an arid, dusty part of the world, with nobody for 200 miles in any direction.

Dan, Chris, and Val, with one of the curators of the museum, in front of a covered wagon.

[​IMG]
    (Brent)

As I said in a previous ride report, one of the great things about travelling, is the people you meet and the stories you share. Here I'm chatting with a Vietnam veteran, in front of the museum.

[​IMG]
    (Brent)

I'm grateful to have Brent along on these trips, since I don't always feel like getting out the camera. I took almost no shots in Bluff, and if it weren't for Brent, I wouldn't have these memories engraved as well. He took a couple great artsy shots as well...

[​IMG]
    (Brent)

[​IMG]

Happiness is a dirty motorcycle.

[​IMG]

Day 7 continued...
  15. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    The Southwest: 2018 (Part 11)

If you don't talk to people you miss out on tips, such as a road being washed out on your planned route, that would cost you about a 50 mile backtrack. Fortunately, we'd shared our ride plans with the curator in Bluff, and he saved us a lot of unnecessary riding and fuel. From Bluff, we went north on the 191, to the 95 west. Our next stop was along the 95, Natural Bridges National Monument. It's world famous in photos, but getting there is no easy task...it's a long ways from anything. But a long ways from anything happens to be our specialty.

[​IMG]

I'd love to say that this next shot is being creative with vantage points, but it's actually just a result of Brent dropping his lens cap. :lol3

[​IMG]
    (Brent)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would be lying if I said my buddies never gave me grief about having Adventure Gibbon in photos. It was a constant source of ribbing. Haha. But you'd be shocked just how great a conversation starter she was. I'll give a few examples; At Natural Bridges, when we were taking these shots, we ran into a group of about 4 Earth Roamers (huge off-road vehicles), from all over the world. One couple were from Australia, and when they heard me being given a bad time about Adventure Gibbon, they started laughing, and said they had a stuffed animal they do the same thing with, that has been photographed all over the world. In Bryce Canyon (coming up soon), I had a stranger offer to lay on the ground, hiding behind a bench, in order to hold up Adventure Gibbon for a shot. A similar situation happened at the Grand Canyon. Everywhere we went, we met fellow travelers and got to chatting with them, all thanks to AG. Chris was always a great sport about posing with her.

[​IMG]

Brent doesn't know his own strength...

[​IMG]

Here he gives his impression of a Cliff Dweller... I'm not sure he's doing it right.

[​IMG]

And me.

[​IMG]
    (Brent)

After Natural Bridges, we kept heading west on 95, past the well-named, "Fry Canyon" (it was HOT), and to the very south end of the Colorado River, where it dumps into Lake Powell. We stopped for a break and some photos, among the red rocks.

Chris taking in the sights.

[​IMG]

Brent is way up there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We rode on into the evening, and stopped for dinner at "Duke's Slickrock Grill", at the intersection of the 24, in Hanksville. From there, we made our way west, and somewhere along the 24 we rode into a swarm of bats. We had a small taste of what it would be like as a bomber pilot flying through flak. How we avoided getting hit by all the bats is a mystery none of us can answer. When we hit the 12, we headed south, past Grover, and made camp for the night at the Singletree Campground.

Next...Day 8
  16. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    The Southwest: 2018 (part 12)

The next morning we broke camp early and continued south on the 12. The highway kept rising into the mountains, then over a forested pass, with amazing vistas. From there it dropped down to the tiny town of Boulder, where we ate breakfast. After breakfast we rode the 12 as it dropped from forests into desert, and along "The Hogback", a stretch of the highway that runs along a ridge, with the ground dropping away on either side of the road for miles on end.

The three amigos, along The Hogback.

[​IMG]

Brent got an almost identical shot, this time with me in it.

[​IMG]
    (Brent)

Looking west, from The Hogback, over the GRand Staircase National Monument. This was impressive country, untouched by human hands. It again reminded us of the sacrifices and trials the early settlers faced when exploring the West on foot and horseback.

[​IMG]

Our next stop was Bryce Canyon. It really needs to be seen to be experienced. It's hard to do it justice in photographs.

[​IMG]

Brent took this next panorama, which really needs to be seen huge to get the full effect.

[​IMG]
    (Brent)

After Bryce, we continued on to the back (eastern) entrance to Zion National Park.

[​IMG]
    (Brent)

Waiting to go through the mile-long tunnel into the park.

[​IMG]

Brent got a nice landscape shot of a creek inside Zion NP.

[​IMG]

We stopped for the night in Mesquite, Nevada. From there we parted ways in the morning. Val heading east, to Florida, to meet up with his wife again. I headed home, and powered back to the Monterey Bay in one day. Chris, Dan, and Brent took two days to ride home, stopping to camp east of the Sierra Nevada.

Saying goodbye in Mesquite.

[​IMG]

Brent got this shot of Chris in the Rhyolite Ghost Town, NV.

[​IMG]
    (Brent)

And all good things must come to an end. The last shot of the trip, as they crossed back into California.

[​IMG]

Thanks for following along. I hope you enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it. This was a trip that we'll always remember, one of the best. That's it for now. In a few weeks, I'll have photos to add from our next ride. :clap
    red bud, mb300, soldierguy and 4 others like this.
  17. Jedi5150

Jedi5150 Road Warrior

Oddometer:
    Setting out this afternoon with Dan, Tall Dan, and Brent, for a 4-day circling of the Sierra Nevada. So check back next week for some more photos and a short ride report. :clap
    BigDogRaven likes this.
  18. red bud

red bud alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer:
    Awesome. In manitou springs right now, gonna name this trip “the CW McCall tour.

Enjoyed your report bunch’s

Been to a lot of the same places, :thumb