For What It's Worth: Simple Ideas and Hints/Tricks

Discussion in 'Trials' started by D2W, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    Figured you'd be along. :lol3 I don't use enough to mix 4 gallons at a time. Most I do is 2, but that may increase now that I'm actually riding every weekend, albeit a short half day. At any rate, it's perfect for me for now.

Oh yeah, I remember using baby bottles. Unfortunately they aren't graduated like they used to be. Useless.
  2. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto Sloppy 300 rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    2 pumps is good for 1 gallon of gas.

8A20DED8-0BB3-472C-ACCD-FF079155E983.jpeg
    Norman Foley likes this.
  3. Huzband

Huzband Team Dirt

Oddometer:
    I still prefer doing my own measurements.
    Yinzer Moto and Norman Foley like this.
  4. ZippyGasGas

ZippyGasGas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I mostly do the opposite and assume the most catastrophic thing possible, freak out, rush around like a mad man. stop, relax, rethink and ponder what is the simplest explanation. and then call myself an idiot.
    I remember as a kid in the 80's dad had a baby bottle just for that purpose.
    Huzband and Norman Foley like this.
  5. ZippyGasGas

ZippyGasGas Long timer

Oddometer:
    10K, BEEF706, Huzband and 4 others like this.
  6. Brewtus

Brewtus Buffoonery, Inc.

Oddometer:
    :photog
    BEEF706, ZippyGasGas and Norman Foley like this.
  7. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    I use a funnel with a long(er) neck. I pour the fuel mixture slowly until the fuel level, in the tank, is at the bottom of the funnel neck. Now I know the tank is almost full (or close enough). If you still feel the need to top off, you can add small amounts until the fuel level is within sight.
    fprintf likes this.
  8. D2W

D2W Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An egg-crate/container makes an excellent small-parts holder, and you can place the parts in order if that's significant (say, when working on the internals of a shock or forks).
  9. sceep

sceep Bus boy

Oddometer:
    Ice cube trays work well also, but dont have a lid.
    Norman Foley likes this.
  10. tomatoe333

tomatoe333 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use one of those to measure the ingredients for my Mai Tais! :jkam
    Brewtus likes this.
  11. D2W

D2W Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    WARNING ... If you're bothered by other peoples "cheapness" then stop reading now.

OK, you're cheap like me then. :thumbup Here's a cheap way to get more life out of your riding gloves.

My local shop carries - and I like - Shift-brand enduro gloves. They're a "light" enduro glove that seems to be well/reasonably built, and work well for trials in that they're tight fitting and breath well. The back of the hand is a type of mesh and the palms are a leather or fake leather. They work for me.

But ... I always blow-out through the clutch and brake fingers (guess just due to the additional wear we put on those controls over time). Not surprisingly the rest of the fingers are fine.

I was about to throw out another pair today when I saw the previous pair of gloves to today's pair - guess I failed to throw them out. I then had this idea to cut off the good finger tips from one set of gloves and Shoe-Goo them onto the blown-out clutch/brake fingers of the other set. It worked great! The Shoe-Goo is sufficiently flexible that there seems to be no significant reduction in mobility.

Don't say I didn't warn ya. :wings
  12. sceep

sceep Bus boy

Oddometer:
    :photog

Damn. I'm a cheap ass but thats "my dad" cheap.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but, damn just buy a new pair of gloves already.
    BluegrassPicker, Buschog and 2whlrcr like this.
  13. UstaKood

UstaKood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well ...

Ya' just gotta ask yourself ...

Is he really cheap ... or

Just thrifty ...

:hmmmmm

:D
    ZippyGasGas, D2W and sceep like this.
  14. motobene

motobene Motoing for 49 years Supporter

Oddometer:
    How does a Scottish man shoot himself in the foot? He places one foot over the other before pulling the trigger. Two feet for one bullet. Cheap!
  15. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    That must one of those on the to do list for winter, a very loong winter.
    ZippyGasGas likes this.
  16. D2W

D2W Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    >>> Paraffin (aka candle wax) on a bolt when "making" threads (with JB Weld) <<<

I took a hit yesterday in such a way that the (steel) clutch banjo bolt was ripped out of the (aluminum) clutch cover, and it took all of the threads with it. :(

I don't think there's enough material left to support a Helicoil, so my first attempt at repair is to try some JB Weld. I first cleaned the area of oil using brake cleaner.

A trick my brother suggested to make it easier to remove the banjo once the epoxy sets is to first lightly coat the threads with paraffin wax; lightly heat the bolt and then touch some wax to the threads. The wax will be drawn around the threads. The wax prevents the epoxy from sticking to the threads/bolt.

If this fails I guess I'll have to find/buy a new clutch cover.

Or perhaps I can use one of the remaining fingers of my old gloves and use it and liberal amounts of Shoo-Goo to hold the clutch line in place? :thumb
  17. ZippyGasGas

ZippyGasGas Long timer

Oddometer:
    What Brand bike is it?
    on my 03 GasGas I had the aluminum threads come out of the clutch cover for the clutch line, I was able to successfully install a helicoil.
  18. D2W

D2W Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    2008 Gas Gas TXT 300. I'll try the JB Weld. If that fails I'll go with the M10x1 helicoil. Then the new cover if that fails.

My brother additionally suggested using some Locktite on the crush washers to better seal with less torque. I'll try that as well.
  19. ZippyGasGas

ZippyGasGas Long timer

Oddometer:
    I think I did the M10x1 helicoil, I got it at a chain auto parts store. can't remember if I had to get a new banjo bolt to fit the helicoil or if the helicoil was the correct pitch for the original bolt.

I was conservative on the torque after the helicoil. Just enough to seal.

Good luck, hope one of the cheaper fixes works for you. New cover is much $$$$
    jonnyc21 likes this.
  20. D2W

D2W Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    >>> Remove the chain to make it easier to push the bike <<<

If you ever have to push your bike out of the woods for a significant distance or through rough terrain, consider first removing the drive chain - it's so much easier to push the bike with it off. Even with the clutch pulled in and/or the gear-box in neutral, there's normally still a lot of friction in the mechanisms. And the chain itself has friction.

Or just don't break down/run out of gas. :thumbup
    fprintf, Buschog, ZippyGasGas and 6 others like this.