For Winnipeg and the surrounding area!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by BOBMUNZ, Jun 6, 2009.

1. on-off

on-off Six String Slinger

Oddometer:
    I couldn't make it there by 5:00, maybe on a Saturday with more daylight...
  2. BikesR2Funn

BikesR2Funn Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah just did the rail line all the way to pine falls. Nice ride. I would be able to meet atbthe trail head by stead for 5pm
    Snipified likes this.
  3. Zappafeld

Zappafeld Adventurer

Oddometer:
    1500 Km To Tuk and back on gravel, no issues. 300M on gravel in QC, and get a flat from a tiny stone. Go figure. IMG_2097.jpeg
    Bootht99 likes this.
  4. Snipified

Snipified Pew Pew Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I get my licence back this September that's probably the first ride i'll do. I usually cut through selkirk and connect to the 59 on my way to the cabin. I'v always wondered if the tracks were completely removed. Been eyeing it on google maps
    BikesR2Funn likes this.
  5. Guntar

Guntar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    HI everyone. I"m planning a trip for this weekend. Winnipeg, to Clear Lake, Then Dauphin, Roblin, down to Virden, and back again. Going to be some highway, looking for some gravel and just having fun. The fall colors should be fantastic. Leaving Friday afternoon, and coming back on Sunday. Camping, but eating out for meals. If anyone is interested in coming along, let me know. Cheers.
    MFS and BackRoader like this.
  6. Hivernaut

Hivernaut Enthusiastic NewBie Supporter

Oddometer:
    IMO;
    #19 is a must. I was on it a week ago and the corduroy was just starting to rise they may have done it since.
    Though I like doing it West to East. Stop at the overlook.
    Could I suggest the "Rolling River Road"? Not a lot of traffic, and a good chance of seeing some "charismatic megafauna". Saw a martin there once, (NO not a ffng mink, I know what a ffing mink looks like!)
    I've heard of guys getting on the snoman trails from Clanwillian to Erickson and I think they could probably do it from Neepawa. It's Ok, farmers use it to move machinery, you may meet some Irate hikers closer to Erickson, though not likely, more likely kis on SxS's. .. Or so I've heard.
    Be careful Wasagaming north to Dauphin, beautiful pavement and the two times I've done it, saw a sedan getting a ticket.
    If you're camping at Wasagaming take a look at sites #613 or #635, though you'll probably have your pick this time of year. You can cruise though the gate and come back and register. The "OTentiks" see some action on the wknd, so you may want to avoid nearby. (Motorcycles are a kid magnet).
    I'm trying to get "one" with DL so probably working at it West this wknd. Give me a shout if you run into trouble, I lurk in the DR forum.
    upload_2019-9-10_12-34-5.png
    BackRoader and Guntar like this.
  7. Old Smokey

Old Smokey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've cycled the trans canada trail from Clanwilliam to Erickson. A few times actually, and every time I've though this would rule on my dirt bike... I saw zero hikers, bikers, but several people on quads. I think it's very common. You can hop on it just North of Neepawa, some beautiful trail and old bridges actually. I meant to do that ride this year now that I think of it...

If you have time, go a bit further West than Clear Lake. There are some amazing hilly gravel roads along the park border. Just try to stay as close to the border as you can while heading toward Rossman and further North past Oplata Lake. Man, wish I could join!
    Hivernaut, Guntar and BackRoader like this.
  8. Rockhammer

Rockhammer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    50N, 100W, "where the great plains begin..."
    Attached is a snippet from one of my favourite gravel routes through Riding Mountain. Whirlpool, Audy, & Deep Lake are all epic if you want unserviced campground options. Lots of History and quirky settlement villages on the southwest and wests sides of the park. The Russell Trail section on the northwest side is especially scenic.

The Trans Canada Trail (aka, the Great Trail, or Snoman trail) is clearly marked with "no motorcycle" signs at each intersection. Please stay off of it, there's no need to get the non-adv community all worked up. It's only rail bed anyways, there's much better scenery in the park itself.

Cheers,

Rockhammer

Attached Files:

• RMNP.GPX
      File size:
      120.5 KB
      Views:
    Guntar likes this.
  9. Guntar

Guntar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I wouldn't ride where we motorcyclists aren't welcome. Thanks for the advise. I've never been up that way looking forward to having a look around.
  10. Guntar

Guntar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the tips, that will be helpful. Praying for good weather
  11. Guntar

Guntar Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks, I'll check it out. Maybe next year we can get a group ride going, with more than 5 days notice :). would be fun to seam together a ride with all of these great tracks that everyone knows. Could be lots of fun.
    BikesR2Funn likes this.
  12. Hivernaut

Oddometer:
    LET ME STATE FOR THE PUBLIC RECORD THAT UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DO I CONDONE A MOTORCYCLE USING THE RAIL-TRAIL.
    besides with the shorter days you can't get on it early enough to not be seen by the coffee-shop-crew.
    I'm a gonna leave the Rail-Trail to the quads and SxS's.
    They are a much bigger constituency.
  13. Hivernaut

Oddometer:
    Just noticed @Rockhammer 's location.
    That's his front yard.
    To be honest, with all due respect, IMHO:
    Do what he says.
  14. BackRoader

BackRoader Life Is A Hiway, Ride It.

Oddometer:
    Going to do some RV/Moto touring in Riding Mountain. It’s been a number (big number) of years since my last visit. ( might have been on my XL500 or KZ1000)
    Anyway, looking forward to seeing what’s new!
    MacNoob and Eastbayview like this.
  15. Hivernaut

Oddometer:
    Lots of policy changes.
    I don't think they are maintaining the damns at Whirpool and Audy.
    They're finally wakeing to fire risk and lots of the aged out trees (fuel) are being removed.
    and
    They're spending money like it isn't theirs. Paving every where. Uniformed staff everwhere.
    Most of the campsites are electric now with the Canada 150 money.
    The trees are just starting to turn, but it being so moist they may hang on for a while yet.
    Other than the short days .. Best time of year.
    BackRoader likes this.
  16. Hivernaut

Oddometer:
    You know that joke - "How do youmake your wife laugh"?
    "tell her your plans".
    We'll be in Clear Lake on the wknd.
    Look for a DR or a DL snoopin around.
    If you're looking for an excuse to go to Wasagaming next wknd.
    Chamber of Commerce are trying to extend their season.
    [​IMG]
  17. Guntar

Guntar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm heading out today after lunch. Hoping the rain in Winnipeg lets up a bit. If you see a drowned rat riding a GSA, that'll be me :)
  18. BackRoader

Oddometer:
    Saw you go by us when we sipping wine at the Lake Wood.
    Guntar likes this.
  19. BackRoader

Oddometer:
    Saw a GSA in Wasagaming earlier this evening, we were sipping wine at the Lakewood....
    Guntar likes this.
  20. cmattina

cmattina Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I wonder that too. Sometimes when i search moto related stuff on google i often get advrider stuff (i think it because of my frequent use here already). I come across posts from almost 10 years ago from guys who had like 1000's of posts at that time. I wonder.... where are they now?

They were obviously committed users and they seem to have lost interest? Will I end up like them? Do they even ride any more?

As of now, i find this to be such a great site for everything motorcycle. I guess people more into sport bikes might be on gtamotorcycle or whatever and dirtbikers would be on thumpertalk... but this site fits me just right.